PDA

View Full Version : Tassie Firepower with pics

DKong
20th June 2006, 09:25 PM
Just done a bit of searching and found someone downhere with a Firepower..Over the the phone he was looking for $1500.00 ..didn't tell me anything about the game and says he is going to list on ebay in the next few weeks...Man I l always end up negotiating with the Steve Ritchie pinballs if I get this I will ahve F14, Teminator and now Firepower ...
Should I go for a more open type of playfield as all Steve's, Williams seem to have a lot of long shots?
anyhelp guys?

The Pinny Parlour
20th June 2006, 10:54 PM
Love that game, hope you score it.

DKong
20th June 2006, 11:18 PM
Kewl..do you reckon $1500 is a good price for a 1980 game? Cripes I paid $2000 for my T2 only 3-4 years ago..needed abit of work and I am sure this will too. Mainly going to look at back glass as painted BG can be shot big time and that is hard to replace ...playfield well hoping for a repro platfield in the future if it is crap then I might knock him down a bit..wil take some photo's of his arcade games if I get down there this weeeked think he has a lot stand up drivng cabs
has a gauntlet 4-player original if anyone is intersted

I have been thinking Fowerpoer ( affodable ) thats the sputnik for non real eighties boys..love the look of four bumpers ..says it has a sound prob could be a quick rom change ?...but being in tassie for so long it will need a few things doing to it and coils would of been changed to the closest one available .

rottenpig
21st June 2006, 10:07 AM
$1500 is pretty good. that machine is pretty rare and sought after. it is one of the better 80's games by the looks of it. i think you also got a bargain with your T2. most i see are $2500 - $3500 and the cheaper ones are pretty stuffed. so don't compare the 2!

hamish_nz
21st June 2006, 10:41 AM
Fire Power is a nice pin.

Hope you get it

hamish_nz
21st June 2006, 11:57 AM
There is a fire power at the auction in sydney this weekend.

There will be lots of us there if you want us to tell you condition etc

DKong
21st June 2006, 05:31 PM
There is a fire power at the auction in sydney this weekend.

There will be lots of us there if you want us to tell you condition etc

That would be great! Was someone going to do a price list from that auction too?

Might go and check this one out on Saturday

Can't believe I spelled it Fowerpoer :lol in my previous post

DKong
10th July 2006, 09:20 PM
Finally got down south to check it out today..it wasn't worth the $1500.00 as I mentioned a few things Cab repaint slight wear on playfield. It lite up but the scores didn't work (none so hoping this will be easy fix). The back glass has worn but only on the blue parts .Will post more when I pick it up ended up getting it for $600.00 It's complete!:D Ask him if he could open it and no shit before a realised he had a crowbar in the door and and bent it open :cry .Say's he does it all the time..No real damage done..the under playfield looks good.took a few pictures around his storage shed..Will post more soon!

I am really happy to get it for $600..even for parts..but this will be restored to it's former glory!

DKong
10th July 2006, 09:22 PM
more photo's plus some of other games..going to try and get the Fisco 400 and that quickdraw EM looks great!

DKong
10th July 2006, 09:36 PM
and the Quick Draw EM seems in good condition

The Pinny Parlour
10th July 2006, 10:44 PM
Firepower NICE

There is life in her mate. Restore her, she will give you heaps of pleasure back.

Wotto's your restorer man. He is the Master Restorer. :)

DKong
10th July 2006, 10:57 PM
cheers Pinny..I am pumped on this one and want to do a good job! Playfield touchup's and mylar removal will be the scary part..Should have it home this week..maybe:023:

Savage
11th July 2006, 10:01 AM
Under the playfield looks very tidy!...
Can't believe he used a crowbar, ouch!

Good score!

hamish_nz
11th July 2006, 10:16 AM
I think you got it for a fair price.
It looks like with some TLC you will have a nice machine.

Well done. Take lots of photos

DKong
11th July 2006, 11:35 AM
Under the playfield looks very tidy!...

Good score!

That sold me. no burns or anythng bad.

I think you got it for a fair price.
It looks like with some TLC you will have a nice machine.

Well done. Take lots of photos

Thanks mate. I have never repainted a pinball cab or touched up a playfield so I am on a new learning curve. Will be taking lots of photo's and asking lot's of advice:D

Viper
15th July 2006, 04:41 PM
If I only every get to own one pinball it'll be a Firepower. Don't know why but it always brings fond memories. My second favourite is T2 and I only just found out today (beofre actually reading your post) that they were both designed by the same guy. Good luck with your Firepower.

I found this today and am sure you already have but just in case:

http://www.firepowerpinball.com/

Lots of info and downloads.

DKong
18th July 2006, 10:46 PM
If I only every get to own one pinball it'll be a Firepower. Don't know why but it always brings fond memories. My second favourite is T2 and I only just found out today (beofre actually reading your post) that they were both designed by the same guy. Good luck with your Firepower.

I found this today and am sure you already have but just in case:

http://www.firepowerpinball.com/

Lots of info and downloads.

Funny thing is F-14 Tomcat was my first ..aghhh..and that was designed by Steve Ritchie too.. So I will now have (when I get it back safely tomorrow morning) A F-14 Tomcat..T2..And Firepower all designed by the same guy and I think Eugene Jarvis did the sound on all of them too..Pretty cool that the only one's I have been able to purchase are by the same person. Except for one EM ( playmatic ) which was to cheap to resist.

humpalot
20th July 2006, 08:18 AM
This might help? http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GS-FIREP-99&Category_Code=DC&Product_Count=147

DKong
22nd July 2006, 05:35 PM
Thanks for the info on cab decals! I have decided to go the other track and keep the original artwork. Just seems wrong to stick decals over paint and these things are a work of art..Maybe one day but now I am determined to get the thing running..Any system 6 driver experts out there? It lites up when I turn it on..Two Leds are on all the time. Has been changed to the newer rom chip at IC14 with the bridging.so it cuts out the use of IC26.IC22,IC21..All score displays don't do work..There is a faint light in the corner so power is getting there..

Have protected the BG with some acrylic clear..And I am glad i did it as I was losing more artwork everytime I moved the ****er..

Skybeaux
24th July 2006, 09:51 AM
Thanks for the info on cab decals! I have decided to go the other track and keep the original artwork. Just seems wrong to stick decals over paint and these things are a work of art..Maybe one day but now I am determined to get the thing running..Any system 6 driver experts out there? It lites up when I turn it on..Two Leds are on all the time. Has been changed to the newer rom chip at IC14 with the bridging.so it cuts out the use of IC26.IC22,IC21..All score displays don't do work..There is a faint light in the corner so power is getting there..

Have protected the BG with some acrylic clear..And I am glad i did it as I was losing more artwork everytime I moved the ****er..

Both leds locked on could be caused by any number of things.
Read up on marvins site for more info into finding the problems.
I've been repairing pinball circuit boards for years so if you can't fix them yourself you could post the boards to me to test and repair them for you.
$30 an hour and i'm not out to rip you off.

DKong
24th July 2006, 10:53 PM
I've been repairing pinball circuit boards for years so if you can't fix them yourself you could post the boards to me to test and repair them for you.
$30 an hour and i'm not out to rip you off.

Thanks for offering the service but will have a go myself. (for now).
The installed combo rom was done incorrectly. I have now corrected it with diodes and a resistor ( http://pinball.flippers.info/system6repairappendixa.asp ).
Now when I turn it on the top LED stays on and the bottom one flashes then turn off. This happens everytime I turn it off then on. Clay's site and others say a bad IC14 (Combo rom). Plus the one in the game is soldered ( piggy backed) on top of the original rom. So wil put in a new socket too..
Picture of original combo rom.

Skybeaux
25th July 2006, 09:50 AM
Thanks for offering the service but will have a go myself. (for now).
The installed combo rom was done incorrectly. I have now corrected it with diodes and a resistor ( http://pinball.flippers.info/system6repairappendixa.asp ).
Now when I turn it on the top LED stays on and the bottom one flashes then turn off. This happens everytime I turn it off then on. Clay's site and others say a bad IC14 (Combo rom). Plus the one in the game is soldered ( piggy backed) on top of the original rom. So wil put in a new socket too..
Picture of original combo rom.

No worries.
Let me know how you go with it and if you need any new roms i have them.

DKong
25th July 2006, 03:31 PM
No worries.
Let me know how you go with it and if you need any new roms i have them.

Thanks.. I will take you up on the roms. I will need ATM.

FirePower

Eprom 2732 Combo Rom (IC14)
2 x Green Flipper eprom 2716 (left and right IC17 and IC20)

How much do you want for them including postage (postcode 7250)
direct deposit or Paypal Ok? PM me if you like.
Thanks again!

Skybeaux
25th July 2006, 06:06 PM
Thanks.. I will take you up on the roms. I will need ATM.

FirePower

Eprom 2732 Combo Rom (IC14)
2 x Green Flipper eprom 2716 (left and right IC17 and IC20)

How much do you want for them including postage (postcode 7250)
direct deposit or Paypal Ok? PM me if you like.
Thanks again!

Hows $25 including postage sound.

If you want them let me know and i'll PM you with my bank details.

DKong
25th July 2006, 09:39 PM
Sounds :cool: to me! Send me the PM and I am sold! Good to see someone offering a service . :cool:

DKong
2nd August 2006, 06:03 PM
Got the roms on 31/7 thanks Skybeaux. Found a few repairs that needed doing on the MPU and driver. Upgraded some resistors etc..Now my LED's flash on once the go off :cool:
The sound test works perfectly all sounds present.
The CPU lamps and display still don't work.
It shows all correct voltages on the Power board. Checked the blanking signal and it is way low .02 volts should be 5. So maybe the 6802 processor chips or something along this chain..
Getting there!

DKong
18th August 2006, 04:56 PM
Gave up on repairing boards myself :(. But luckily Skybeaux has come to the rescue. Just in the process of getting the Driver board fixed ( and that should nail it)

Decided to start work on the playfield , Stripped it and removed Mylar will update photo's here

http://users.bigpond.net.au/BenWah/Pages/Projects/Firepower1.html

BTW its my second attempt at a website and all self taught. Open to critisism but not laughter :D

The Pinny Parlour
18th August 2006, 04:59 PM
Very....very.....nice! :)

DKong
18th August 2006, 05:02 PM
Thanks Ian..Its stopped me posting inane messages lol

DKong
24th August 2006, 07:50 PM
Here is a shot of the plafield...cleaned and now painstakingly doing touchups..because of our lovely cold weather down here this will take Donkey's years..Skybeaux is sending me a reconditioned Driver board so the time had come to tackle the play field..... now I have to wait for paint to dry..... patience is virtue they say ..I say get a couple more pins and then I would not have this problem.....

Edit well shit strikes again and i can't upload the photo even after deleting all my others..hmmmm..well back to securing more pins!

DKong
5th September 2006, 09:18 PM
Finished touchup's and clean..
Was really happy with my touchup for a first time..lots of colour matching but it was worth it..
Polishing every metal bit as it goes back on.. Found a Rock tumbler/polisher today at a Gun Shop $167.00..Was very tempted..;)
Also put a few orders in for some lane guides and rubber kit from one place, SG 23 850, SA 23 850 coils from another, and will have to order round front mounted red standups from another ( anyone else noticed these are harder to get ??) .. not one person I could find stocked everything I needed :x

Updated pictures

http://users.bigpond.net.au/BenWah/Pages/Projects/Firepower5.html

Did anyone see the parted Firepower on Aus Ebay this week ? Playfield and cabinet went for over $700.00 and the back box with boards minus BG went for over $400.00..My $600.00 looks like money well spent...

Viper
5th September 2006, 09:30 PM
Looking good.

Crafty
5th September 2006, 11:48 PM
Lots of nice photos on the web page, looks like a very nice job. Keep the photo's coming and I'm sure we will all be pleased with the results. Although no-one more than you..

DKong
6th September 2006, 12:21 AM
Thanks for the kind words..:cool:

Damn ran out of free web space only 10 MBs ....
Going to have to restructure to post more pics....
Whats the best place in Aus to host your website?
Damn Telstra..:evil

DKong
21st September 2006, 12:06 AM
Its been a busy week on the Firepower for me..All my parts arrived this week..:D

Flippers, Pop bumpers are been rebuilt, correct coils inserted ( 5 in total )and switch's straightend ! :D

Inside of cab has been painted with Satin black ( thanks Shock and Wotto matched perfectly) :cool:

Playfield is nearly rebuilt, polished and cleaned

Knob is polished ( thanks Darksoul )

Legs are on ...

To do...

Polish Pop Bumper rings, clean flippers, clean some more posts ( I think there is over thirty in total was ok for the first few )
Clean lamp inserts :sleep (this would have to be the most tedious job)
and replace all lamps
Clean plastics which have been straightend ( thanks Wotto )
Put in the MPU or CPU Board and reconditioned Driver board ( thanks Skybeaux )

and then FIRE it up!

Would you believe I forgot to buy new Balls:lol I'll just borrow the T2 one's while I'm fixing the WPC driver board..

BTW Hankin cocktails make great workbench's for playfields if you can handle back pain..don't think it would fit on a Taito..:badgrin

DKong
22nd September 2006, 11:01 PM
Doesn't seem like anyone is interested..but I will keep posting anyways ( cause thats my thing )

Fired it up tonight... straight into attract mode ..sweet.. one lamp and one switch needed adjusting..sweet.. fixed in minutes..added a credit and played a game..sound is wierd..works sometimes then not? changed test switches on sound board and same..it seems like when the speech is activated it wont play in game??? but does with test switch on sound?

The Pinny Parlour
23rd September 2006, 03:15 AM
I'm interested so keep posting. :cool:

feeras
23rd September 2006, 07:43 AM
keep it going!!

DKong
26th September 2006, 05:59 PM
Just doing the finishing touches..
Everthing plays right. :cool:
put a new speaker in ( Jaycar 8 ohms $24.00)
Had to replace a couple of resistors on the display board all working now! ( 6 cents each Jaycar )

Was missing large 330 ohm 2 watt Resistor under playfield and replaced with two 160 ohm 1 watt ( I think ) fixed problem with flashers' staying on.. Was advised my Ken ( Skybeaux) to use a 5 watt Resistor and changed it today. ( A few cents ) Cheers!

Only one switch needed adjusting, was having a problem with a two player game when 1 Player had a ball locked and then when 2 player started it would keep trying to shoot a ball from the trough. Took the dog for a walk a came back and fixed it in seconds. The switch was closed all the time which wouldn't affect the game unless a ball was locked..

Bought some new Flipper buttons and they are too short in the shaft..Ah well spares..

Still need to do

Clean rest of plastics and put on

Two new locks

Buy some Balls ( using new ones borrowed from another game)

Pick up new glass ( hopefully Friday )

And play all Weekend!!!

I really love the sounds in this game I didn't realise how close it is to Defender and Robotron sounds..They are some of my fav Arcade sounding games.. so damn happy!!!:D :D :D

DKong
26th September 2006, 06:36 PM
And a shitty video..this was done on the spot tonight...no editing ..

YouTube - Firepower Pinball

StevOz
26th September 2006, 07:10 PM
Wow, video is really vague, though damn is that pinball shiny and fast, well hard. :cool:

DKong
26th September 2006, 07:29 PM
Wow, video is really vague, though damn is that pinball shiny and fast, well hard. :cool:

Yes it is vague ( and pixalated ) after watching it back :lol
I didn't have the glass on so the the reflection was probally worse and the lighting wasn't good.. going to do another when I get another pair of hands to film..or play..later in the week hopefully..

Foot
26th September 2006, 08:30 PM
Looking good! Your doing a mighty fine job there. Fire Power used to sit beside Black Knight at my local arcade and we'd play it waiting for a go at BK, so I've got a soft spot for it.

Foot

DKong
8th October 2006, 08:36 PM
Finished everything last week and been giving it a good test!:D
I like the game a lot. I first set it to 3 balls and found it harder than I thought now set to 5.
I find multiball a challenge to get, that top lock can be a real bitch to reach maybe cause the flippers seem a bit weak.
I rebuilt the flippers but they still seem a bit weak ?
The backglass has a bit of flaking which you can see in the photo but doesn't detract from the game though.
Not a forgiving game and all shots need to be right, great sound effects and a good looking game.

Here's some photo's of it finished

The Pinny Parlour
8th October 2006, 09:09 PM
Superb! Truly a nice game and job. Get some instruction cards mounted on the apron mate and she is sweet. :023:

Shock_And_Awe
8th October 2006, 09:17 PM
yeah great job there. From the pics it has seriously come up looking like new!
How long did the whole job take?

DKong
8th October 2006, 09:55 PM
Superb! Truly a nice game and job. Get some instruction cards mounted on the apron mate and she is sweet. :023:

Thanks Pinny will do !

yeah great job there. From the pics it has seriously come up looking like new!
How long did the whole job take?

Took longer than I thought due to mucking around with the MPU and Driver board for so long. Basically tested nearly every component. Thats when I sent the driver board to Skybeaux. Which allowed me to spend time on the cab.
I bought it in July but didn't start on the playfield and cab till about mid August. Was doing it in the evening over about 6 weeks some days I would leave it alone all together especially if things were going wrong and its good to give it a break. Other days I would spend very late nights on it when things were going smooth.. Maybe 50-80 hours on the cab and playfield..Sometimes it frustrating when you realise you need a part after you made an order. So a couple of hours of checking the letter box.:lol .A few hours admiring your goodwork at the end of session with a couple of beers or what not.;) Sometimes it happened too quick like reassembly of the playfield ( I really like that part ) and other things can just be slow and tedious like cleaning lamp inserts,mechanical parts, polishing metal parts and straightening switch's although your pins are newer than mine so they wouldn't be so bent.
It's a bit of a guess with the hours but I don't notice the time..
I haven't touched the outside artwork, just polished the legs, rails and painted the front BG surround part so it looks good stuck between two other pins. It looks better than my F14 & T2 now..

Skybeaux
9th October 2006, 07:52 AM
Great job there Dkong. It looks fantastic. :D
All your hard work has paid off..

I often play my mates firepower cause it's such a great game but you know the hardest thing i find to get is extra ball.
It's harder than getting special lit.

Foot
9th October 2006, 11:09 AM
Looks awesome! Smacking the ball into the top mutltiball lock feels great when its firing well. I reckon it will compliment the T2 nicely.

Well done :098:

Foot

DKong
9th October 2006, 11:19 AM
Great job there Dkong. It looks fantastic. :D
All your hard work has paid off..

I often play my mates firepower cause it's such a great game but you know the hardest thing i find to get is extra ball.
It's harder than getting special lit.

Thanks mate and for your help..Yep that extra ball is pretty hard as you need to get the 5x bonus and then once again..Would be nice with a hold bonus..

Looks awesome! Smacking the ball into the top mutltiball lock feels great when its firing well. I reckon it will compliment the T2 nicely.

Well done :098:

Foot

Thanks Foot I will get onto those flippers next. It is possible to reach but it has to be spot on with a bit of speed on the ball don't think I can hold the ball and then reach it..