PDA

View Full Version : Spanish Eyes mini resto project

goodolddays
22nd July 2008, 03:16 PM
Gday all ..
Thought you might be interested in my mini resto .

I'm intent on cleaning up the PF on the Spanish Eyes I just bought from Tony (Illawarra Steelers) before I play it.

Over the next couple of weeks , time permitting, I intend to strip the playfield and go over it with magic eraser , followed by Novus, followed by a few coats of Carnuba Wax.. I will also clean and polish all plastics etc and clean all rubbers (which are in good condition).
The green around centre kickout hole needs a touchup
I also want to get new lane guides as the old (white) ones are yellowed with age.
The blackglass is near perfect , cabinet artwork still in good shape.
Cabinet just needs a good vacuum .
I just need a fresh supply of Novus 1st .. Iíve nearly run out from using it on 6 previous games.

Hereís a few before pics of the PF .. will post the results here when finished

Rgds
Dave

Strangeways
22nd July 2008, 03:30 PM
Thats a nice Spanish eyes - one of the better ones I've seen. Lane guides etc are cheap !

Are you going to leave the mylar intact ?

goodolddays
22nd July 2008, 03:51 PM
Thats a nice Spanish eyes - one of the better ones I've seen. Lane guides etc are cheap !

Yep .. I am very happy to get it in such good shape .

Are you going to leave the mylar intact ?

Yes, currently plan to leave Mylar on .. will clean up around the edges of it and see how it looks .. thinking to play it safe rather than be sorry .. so far I've only removed a small patch of mylar before (on my Trizone ,without any drama)

Also, I will have a go at cleaning up the coin door and side rails .. will post before and after pics of them too.

Must say, Nino , that your resto's blow me away !

goodolddays
22nd July 2008, 03:57 PM
Slightly off topic, but here's a pic of my 1974 Duotron playfield after I cleaned it up ..

hoping Spanish eyes turns out similar .. I tested a few spots with Magic eraser last night with very encouraging results

Gav
22nd July 2008, 04:08 PM
Slightly off topic, but here's a pic of my 1974 Duotron playfield after I cleaned it up ..

hoping Spanish eyes turns out similar .. I tested a few spots with Magic eraser last night with very encouraging results

Real nice mate. Looks sweet:)

Strangeways
22nd July 2008, 05:02 PM
Yes, currently plan to leave Mylar on .. will clean up around the edges of it and see how it looks .. thinking to play it safe rather than be sorry .. so far I've only removed a small patch of mylar before (on my Trizone ,without any drama)

Also, I will have a go at cleaning up the coin door and side rails .. will post before and after pics of them too.

Must say, Nino , that your resto's blow me away !

Cheers mate - they are not that hard - you just have to see it as your "passion", not as "work".

I'd leave the mylar on as well, mate.. Keep the pictures coming. :)

Nice work.. These EMs bring a :cry to my eye when they are returned to their former glory.

illawarra_steelers
23rd July 2008, 12:34 PM
Dave,

You treat her well! ;)

Will watch you transform her to the original beauty - this game is a 'fox in the box'

Have fun and remember if you need any parts just ask.

ROLLERBALL
23rd July 2008, 12:50 PM
The playfield On my SE is a bit better than that one...its a great machine...If you need pics or anything from my machine just let me know...happy to helpout..

goodolddays
23rd July 2008, 02:01 PM
Tks for the encouragement guys .
Last night I finished stripping the playfield (except for bumpers and targets) including the top and bottom aprons and vacummed up all the loose dirt/grit.
Its amazing the dirt etc that hides under the aprons.
I have done this for each of my games as soon as I bought them (before I play even one game).. after all dirt is the enemy of these old PF's.

Unfortunately the sole metal ball rail/guide on this PF is broken .. you wouldn't notice cause its hidden under a PF plastic . It lives at the top end of the shooter lane.
I'm hoping someone on here might have one to spare that will suit.
Will take measurements of the hole spacing and post in the wanted section.

I always like to pull my machines down when I buy them so you can see the 'state of the nation' so to speak .

Will post again (with pics) and a progress update hopefully tomorrow

goodolddays
24th July 2008, 11:02 AM
Gday all .
Here's a few progress picks after cleaning with magic eraser .
Unfortunately the lines you can see (eg through the lady's face/hair) are cracks in the timber , so I will have to live with that, but removing the ingrained dirt makes a good improvement .

Still got more magic erasing to do.
While I'm waiting on my Novus order I will do the following ..
1) Pull out and clean/polish the 10 point rollvers.. did one last night and it looks much better
2) Dismantle and inspect/clean/polish the Pop bumper rods/rings
3) lightly lubricate the steppers with Superlube
4) Clean the score reels .. might also dismantle them and give a light lube with Superlube
5) Remove the board from the cab that has all the relays/score motor etc on it (forget what its called) and vacuum out the cab
6) have a go at cleaning/regraining the coin door and side rails .. the door is in very good shape so should come up well

Strangeways
24th July 2008, 11:28 AM
Sounds like a great plan..

Nice pictures BTW - coming up well.

goodolddays
5th August 2008, 10:30 AM
Finally got the machine all back together last weekend.
Here's what I did
Stripped playfield . Cleaned all rubbers. Cleaned/polished all posts and plastics. Magic eraser on all of the PF, followed by Novus 2, followed by 3 coats of Carnuba Wax
Removed all Pop Bumper mechs , cleaned, polished coil plungers, flipped steel and bakelite plates, reassembled.
Removed centre hole ball kicker mech, cleaned, light lube on shaft, reassembled.
Removed all playfield rollover targets, cleaned, polished, reassembled.
Removed PF and mechanism panel . Vacuumed out cabinet.
Cleaned mechanism panel. Checked for any loose screws.
Replaced rubber mounts on reset bank.
Installed new power cord
Reglobed under and above PF
Removed knocker and chime units, cleaned/polished coil plungers, reassembled.
Reinstalled mech panel and PF in cabinet.
Cleaned and polished side rails and coin door.

Here's a few pics of how the PF turned out

Strangeways
5th August 2008, 11:03 AM
WOW - Doesn't she look pretty now !

Well done - nice work. Just got to get her playing properly !

illawarra_steelers
5th August 2008, 12:53 PM
Dave,

Spanish Eyes is a fox in the box! She is just so beautiful and I'm sure you have grown to love her nearly as much as I did!

You have done an awesome job - she looks fantastic!

Well done - hope you get the 10 point problem sorted soon.

AskJacob
5th August 2008, 03:07 PM
I've always known this to be a fine looking machine - but those images did nothing but prove it beyond a doubt.

A great looking machine, and very unique in style.

Hope you're enjoying the new family member!

Cheers
Jacob

goodolddays
5th August 2008, 04:16 PM
I've always known this to be a fine looking machine - but those images did nothing but prove it beyond a doubt.

A great looking machine, and very unique in style.

Hope you're enjoying the new family member!

Cheers
Jacob

Gday Jacob .. yes, it is a very colourful machine and I am looking forward to playing it , but have to iron out some bugs 1st (see my thread in pinball repair section).
I've had a couple of practice goes , even though machien isn't running properly I can see you really need to change your mindset re flipper usage to play this one .

illawarra_steelers
5th August 2008, 07:15 PM
Gday Jacob .. yes, it is a very colourful machine and I am looking forward to playing it , but have to iron out some bugs 1st (see my thread in pinball repair section).
I've had a couple of practice goes , even though machien isn't running properly I can see you really need to change your mindset re flipper usage to play this one .

............and one of the few pins you can't master - just wait and see ;)