PDA

View Full Version : 3 LAI Cocktails now in my shed

Roxbury
20th June 2006, 09:00 PM
I just wanted to share the news that I now have 3 LAI cocktils in my shed awaiting repair/ restoration. They are all complete, but need cosmetic work, and maybe some replacement panels for the chipwood that hasn't fared well, and the metal control panels etc need a real clean up. The Moon Patrol cab works fine, and has a crystal clear picture. The Galaga and Time Pilot cabs don't work, but fingers crossed I hope the boards still do! I will probably test them on the weekend. When I start work on these projects I will keep a log of the progress here. :D

snippy
20th June 2006, 09:16 PM
Nice collection! I'd deadset love to have one of those in my shed to restore! They look in pretty good condition, shouldn't be too hard to get them looking tip top.

Snippy

Berty
20th June 2006, 09:21 PM
Nice score, they'll look great all lined up together when you are done.

Sutekh
20th June 2006, 09:24 PM
Awesome stuff. Think I'll have to add a cocktail cabinet to my wish list...

To those older than myself; did we in Australia get any cocktail cabinets that are originals designed for the game that is in them, or just LAI wood-grain deals? I've only ever seen those like in the photos in fish-n-chip shops.

bigrob
20th June 2006, 10:21 PM
Those look like very nice cabs, good luck getting them back up and running, I have the same ratio of working/not working cabs my self, have almost got the second one working and its only taken me a couple of years :)

Sutekh - I have one dediacted Astro Fighter cocktail and one dedicated Crazy Climber cocktail and a generic Hankin

RetroGame
21st June 2006, 08:07 AM
Nice cabs! I haven't seen many of that style cab before, and you've got 3 of them! What size are the monitors? They look like they would make great restoration projects. Please keep posting your progress.

rottenpig
21st June 2006, 10:03 AM
they look to be 20" monitors

staceyamusements
22nd June 2006, 08:22 AM
Great buy.I love the 20 inch tabletops.

Roxbury
22nd June 2006, 04:31 PM
Because I am about to go on a holiday I thought I would get some feedback on the Moon Patrol cab (the easy one). I will probably replace the joystick & buttons soon.

http://tehkella.net/damian/CornerView.jpg

You can see in the corner view some of the wood plastic contact stuff has come off. Any ideas whether I should replace the whole lot with more of that stuff, get some wood veneer, or sand it and paint it black?

http://tehkella.net/damian/Control%20Panel.jpg

The control panels are in sort of OK condition considering their age, with a few scratched initials and wear and tear. I could sand it back and paint it if I was a perfectionist. I was wondering how the graphics on the control panel were put on when it was made (Jump, fire, 1P, 2P etc). Is it possible to get similar stuff put on them now if they are cleaned up first?

http://tehkella.net/damian/SideView.jpg

And here's picture of the other side, you can see the woodgrain plastic stuff other black plastic stuff and the bubbling it has experienced.

Any suggestions?

RedneckV2
22nd June 2006, 06:40 PM
I had a very similar situation on the coctail I restored.

For the black plastic, I took the legs off (gutted whole cab actually), then used a paint scraper and a stanley knife to remove the bubbled plastic.

I made it as smooth as possible then used the paint scraper to apply a product called 'polyfilla skim coat'. It drys in a few hours and is easy to sand.

I would recommend overfilling and sanding back later.

When dry, tape off all woodgrain, 2 coats of primer, then 2 of black gloss.

Mine was in worse condition and what I have done has worked well.

The only drawback is that the coctail is less original now being painted.

Looks good tho:cool:

RetroGame
23rd June 2006, 07:56 AM
"And here's picture of the other side, you can see the woodgrain plastic stuff other black plastic stuff and the bubbling it has experienced.

Any suggestions?"

Give Chris at Ozstick a call, he stocks black plastic and woodgrain vinyl overlay, I have used this stuff and it will give you a looks new finish so long as you prep the surface well.

Roxbury
23rd June 2006, 08:39 AM
Good idea, I will find out about the overlay.

Foot
23rd June 2006, 09:57 PM
they look to be 20" monitors

Are these tables bigger than LAI's with the small monitor? I had a look at mine and am curious how a 20"er would fit. I noticed the table top has a smaller cut out around the control panel than mine. maybe that's how they make the room?

Foot

Roxbury
24th June 2006, 03:19 PM
Foot, hopefully this picture will help.

http://tehkella.net/damian/MoonPatrolTop.jpg

Foot
24th June 2006, 08:09 PM
Yep, your right that cleared it up. Smaller cab like mine has the control panels recessed into the cab, the bigger ones are mounted externally. Lid must be slightly larger as well

Thanks

jumpydoctor
25th June 2006, 10:48 PM
This post has prompted me to tidy up my lai cocktail. Really like this cab, still has the book and scramble was one of my favourite games when i was a kid. Been a while since I finished all the levels (probably 23 years) so I'll be giving it a bash during the week.
Thanks

The Pinny Parlour
25th June 2006, 10:57 PM
This post has prompted me to tidy up my lai cocktail. Really like this cab, still has the book and scramble was one of my favourite games when i was a kid. Been a while since I finished all the levels (probably 23 years) so I'll be giving it a bash during the week.
Thanks
It's bloody sweet nice too.

jumpydoctor
25th June 2006, 11:01 PM
Hey Roxbury, Also noticed on your moon patrol some australian artwork instruction cards. These would be a good resource for others. Hopefully you could get them scanned and maybe put them here in the artwork section.

The Pinny Parlour
25th June 2006, 11:04 PM
Hey Roxbury, Also noticed on your moon patrol some australian artwork instruction cards. These would be a good resource for others. Hopefully you could get them scanned and maybe put them here in the artwork section.
and the Time Pilot ones too.

Roxbury
25th June 2006, 11:08 PM
Yeah I can do that. What sort of resolution etc should I scan them at? I will see if I can do it tomorrow if not it will be 2 weeks away after I get back from holiday.

The Pinny Parlour
26th June 2006, 07:47 AM
Yeah I can do that. What sort of resolution etc should I scan them at? I will see if I can do it tomorrow if not it will be 2 weeks away after I get back from holiday.

300dpi BMP or TIFF, then scale them back in editor

Art is here: http://www.aussiearcade.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38

wilddazz
16th August 2006, 12:31 AM
good job ahead

great score

roybarnett
11th May 2017, 01:11 AM
Oh the moon patrol goodness, what a soundtrack

Sent from my iPad using Aussie Arcade

WOKA
11th May 2017, 07:27 AM
Holy thread revival..!

Mikie
11th May 2017, 07:34 AM
AA sure a treasure trove if threads, who needs scAmcestry ? Lol

Roxbury
11th May 2017, 09:28 AM
Wow old thread. All of those cocktails have been completely restored, and there are restore threads for all of them. They are all still in my possession. The Moon Patrol cocktail is still dedicated to moon patrol, another is running Arcade SD, and the other a Multi Williams set up, for which turned out pretty good with some nifty relays to switch controls and screen flip based on which games you are playing.