PDA

View Full Version : Mylar to remove or not to remove

ddstoys
21st July 2008, 06:50 PM
Hi All
Just tossing up if i should attemt to remove the mylar from my 1955 Gottlieb Marathon. Under the mylar the paint seems to be cracked will this lift with the mylar if i attemt to remove it?????????
Thanks Daniel

Strangeways
21st July 2008, 08:51 PM
Hi All
Just tossing up if i should attemt to remove the mylar from my 1955 Gottlieb Marathon. Under the mylar the paint seems to be cracked will this lift with the mylar if i attemt to remove it?????????
Thanks Daniel

Without looking at it - yes - it would lift.. The machine probably had 30 years of wear before the mylar was applied.. So the artwork would have started deteriorating, and the lifting of the mylar would lift the paint.

You could try a spot, but I think it would be risky...

Post pictures if you can...

Do a search on "mylar" on the site for some useful info.

markc
21st July 2008, 10:10 PM
Without looking at it - yes - it would lift.. The machine probably had 30 years of wear before the mylar was applied.. So the artwork would have started deteriorating, and the lifting of the mylar would lift the paint.

You could try a spot, but I think it would be risky...

Post pictures if you can...

Do a search on "mylar" on the site for some useful info.
you have seen it
it was in my showroom !!!

retropin
22nd July 2008, 05:16 AM
Chances are the Mylar was put down to prevent further deterioration the the artwork. If you remove it now, expect anything that the Mylar is protecting to come up with it

Strangeways
22nd July 2008, 06:35 AM
you have seen it
it was in my showroom !!!

:lol

Amongst all those EMs - Do you think I'm going to remember EVERY single one of them ?

:lol