PDA

View Full Version : Mortal Kombat Dedicated Sideart - Progress

gs0uL
2nd July 2008, 12:48 AM
Hey guys, some of you may have seen a post I made about this a year or so ago on BYOAC. The sideart on my Mortal Kombat machine is kind of tatty, and I nor anyone on BYOAC have been able to find reproduction MK Dedicated sideart anywhere. So I figured, stuff it, I'll create my own.

This artwork is cursed, seriouly. Over the last year I've recreated the vector 4 times and each time it was lost in some kind of unusual computer glitch or corrupted hard drive. (I've uploaded this copy to an FTP for safekeeping.)

So, let me know what you all think.

Here's the a photo of the artwork that a fan sent to me.

http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/8557/originalwi0.jpg

Here's the sideart as it is now (Note, I'm trying to source a high quality scan of the Johnny Cage character on the side. Anyone) Obviously the scales are missing, but I don't honestly know if I can make them look like the original in vector. I may take some create license, or I may turn this monster into a raster image and photoshop them in. The image is 150cm x 200cm with 300dpi for the raster effects aka the blurs. This thing will be SERIOUSLY sharp when printed.

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/7714/fullsidemc9.jpg

Here's a closeup of the detail on the head

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/4893/headdetailsmn9.jpg

And just for the skeptical ones (Yes, there were some people who didn't believe me when I first posted version 1.0 a year or so ago)

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/5058/outlinesmh9.jpg

My motivation for doing this is purely selfish. ;) All I want is a high quality set of prints of this for my machine, I've approached MameMarquees and some other places who do some quality side art. Once someone gives me a *free* set of sides, I'll release it to the community on LocalArcade.

Lets see if my evil plan works. ;)

spacies
2nd July 2008, 07:09 AM
Mate that is awesome!

I have a scratch built MK cab just waiting for this art!
It looks great even without Johnny Kage, in fact, I prefer it like that.

Well done.

gs0uL
2nd July 2008, 06:54 PM
Either way, I've just cut a deal with Scott @ MameMarquees.com who's keen to start printing this stuff for the arcade community. I'm sure you'll be able to order this with our without Johnny Cage

*UPDATE* Deal retracted due to an IP Infringement letter regarding all Midway / Bally / Williams artwork they sell.

spacies
2nd July 2008, 07:06 PM
Oh,

But I have a digi printer already. I don't need pay someone to print it for me :)
Any chance of the file only?

Just for my own use.

nick1985
2nd July 2008, 08:31 PM
Just a little tip about putting the black outline on the dragon etc.......

[B]In Illustrator go into Object > Paths > Offset Paths and then select the thickness of the outline needed.

This will outline what ever you need evenly around the image. In your design I can see that the black outline is a little thicker in some places

Note: this is ten times better then just adding a stroke or trying to re draw an outer line

anyway other then that it looks wicked, well done

nick1985
2nd July 2008, 09:01 PM
there is also a PSD of Johnny Cage here

http://artwork.joymonkey.com/index.php?option=com_rsgallery2&page=inline&id=1451&catid=22&limitstart=206

gs0uL
2nd July 2008, 09:09 PM
hehe those thickened lines are 100% authentic. When you zoom in on the artwork, the black lines are 1:1 to the original. I want it to lok authentic, not too clean.

nick1985
2nd July 2008, 09:32 PM
hehe those thickened lines are 100% authentic. When you zoom in on the artwork, the black lines are 1:1 to the original. I want it to lok authentic, not too clean.

yeah sorry I was thinking that once I already posted it up haha

gs0uL
3rd July 2008, 08:10 AM
Hey guys, I've been receiving a bit of pressure about this artwork due to Midway Trademark infringements through a concerned (midway associated) member of this and other forums. It seems this may never get released.

Discussion?

spacies
3rd July 2008, 08:13 AM
Well that sucks.

I don't know what there problem is. It is not as if someone is going to go out and start up a production line to repro these machines. Its for preservation purposes. Did you tell them that?!

gs0uL
3rd July 2008, 08:23 AM
Yes, I was told that it was an infringement of the Midway Trademark / IP. I've asked if there is a process I can go through to get a license to have the artwork reproduced. No response yet.

What comes next is up to the concerned individual / midway as to whether they will allow me to use this artwork to restore my machine / assist other MK arcade owners in restoring theirs.

No information so far. Seems the usual arcade printers / artwork repositories are about to have a bad day.

spacies
3rd July 2008, 08:36 AM
Can you just remove the Midway Logo and the little black dragon?

I don't care about those. They can be added if need be.

MetalSkin
3rd July 2008, 08:44 AM
Hmm I'm curious as to how it's an infringement to restore artwork for personal use.

I can see why it would be considered a problem if you were building a replica for the purposes to sell. But restoration of an existing cab, what trademark are you infringing?

Trademark infringement is about using someone else's trademark to make money. No company cares about personal use (unless it's to bring a brand name into disrepute, or to weaken a trademark.. ala hoover), they only care about it being used to make money, and that is the big legal issue.

I'm not aware that artwork has a copyright, and based on trademark they cannot complain.

If this was an issue then dafont would have had take down notices ages ago on all their fonts that have company's logos on them.

:edit:

btw, I dont see how IP covers this as well.

stuba
3rd July 2008, 09:13 AM
man this shit is tiring (not having a go at you BTW, its just these licence/right issues are strangling the hobby). I think as long as its for yourself you are right to do whatever you want. if you made it available commercially then its an issue.
don't let it stop you fixing up your own cab. BTW I have a MK cab with that artwork which is in really good nick if you need any pics..

opm881
3rd July 2008, 11:10 AM
I agree with metal and stuba here. Printing the artwork should be fine as you arnt selling it + if you have payed for the mortal kombat cab in the first place I think you are intitlted to be able to print the artwork so that you may restore it to its original condition. I have heard that it is legal to have a back up of any cds or anything like that you own, so why not side art?

Also, if this is still gonna be an issue. Remove the Mortal Kombat dragon logo, the midway logo, and simply make it so that only the outlines of the dragon are made, so there is no inner colour or simply change the colouring of the dragon. That way it will change it enough to be voide of all copyright. Thats how those cheap chinese shirts of bands and tv shows, specificly stuff like pokemon, are able to be sold legally

Hewitson
3rd July 2008, 01:02 PM
I'd tell them to shove their infringement up their ass. You are restoring artwork for personal use for a 15 year old machine FFS, its not like anyone is losing money over it.

stu
3rd July 2008, 01:21 PM
Make the sideart, release the files on bittorrent, and get one printed up for yourself :unsure

That's pretty much the day we live in, alot of companies trying to hard to protect their rights to various things....i can understand that, i'd do the same. But we live in a rather digital age as well. As i said, bittorrent the files...or even better just rapidshare them. :evil:evil

spacies
3rd July 2008, 01:38 PM
Yeah do it!

**** the system.

stu
3rd July 2008, 01:58 PM
Yeah do it!

**** the system.

LOL, i don't really have a **** the system cause...lol.

I guess the guy did mention getting them printed up and offered for sale somewhere.....well.....make of that what you will. I'm guessing that might be where the issue arose from?

Either way, great job on the artwork resto :) Pity these things weren't still available to buy, as i'm sure you would probably rather just buy an original print and stick it on rather than goto all the trouble of having to reproduce it.

nick1985
3rd July 2008, 07:48 PM
At the end of the day how are they going to know if you have used it or not.

Just use it, its not worth their time or money to check if you have printed ONE set up for personal use.