PDA

View Full Version : New Project - Super Mario Bros.



revolt
1st July 2008, 07:39 PM
I am out of the Arcade op business now, but I decided to keep 1 Astro cab (MAME) and my Super Mario Bros. Pinball. I've always had a soft spot for Nintendo ;)

It is in average condition. Some of the decals are stuffed, random playfield parts are worn or buggered, and the current main problem is it doesn't work! After some research at the awesome Pinrepair.com site, the main cause of this issue (see pic of the display) is the U8 GAL chip. I found one from a US Pinball parts store, swapped it over, but it is still all messed up.

This restoration will be very slow. I'm gonna buy a few parts at a time as I can afford it.

Fish Tales
1st July 2008, 07:48 PM
nintendo fan myself so I just love the look of that pin
gl with the resto

Strangeways
1st July 2008, 10:34 PM
Keep the updates coming. I can't really see much detail with the camera (or phone) you are using. Any chance of some better pictures :unsure

AskJacob
1st July 2008, 10:53 PM
Its a machine I'd love to love, but never seen one in good working order...

Good luck, you have my attention!

Cheers
Jacob

revolt
2nd July 2008, 11:24 AM
Yeah, I will take some better pics when I find my camera. :D

revolt
12th April 2009, 06:53 PM
This project was put on the backburner for quite a while, as my job was 'inactive' for a while, so I didn't have any spare funds. Back up and running now though. :D

I'm sorting out the exterior of the cab now. Found the 2 closest colour matches to the Blue, got 2 sample pots and spent about an hour slowly adding one to the other until I got a perfect colour match.

I cannot find reproduction sideart for this cab anywhere, so I am going to attempt to fix it up and then hopefully clear-coat over the whole thing.

revolt
15th May 2009, 11:13 AM
I've decided to use a Super Mario Bros. windows font and modify it with photoshop so it's identical to the font used on the side of the machine (it's slightly different), then get decals printed up.

The issue however, is that below the text, it has Mario and some baddies from the games. If I use decals for the font, but leave the rest as is (they are in ok condition), will it look dodgy?

The other option is to borrow a flatbed scanner off someone and scan the entire side of the cab, then edit that in photoshop. Both side of the cab are identical, so I would only need to do 1 side.

I got the metal ramp welded up, as some of the welds had cracked and the ball would get stuck. I didn't know exactly what it was made of, so the guy that welded it did the best he could... it is ok, but I think I will try and find another one at a later stage.

Pics of the cab as it stands today:

narf_
15th May 2009, 03:49 PM
morrieman has one of these on his shelf mate

maybe his has better art to scan :unsure

revolt
15th May 2009, 08:49 PM
Well, I found a scanner for $15 and gave it a go today. The artwork is VERY easy to clean up in Photoshop, because it is all solid colours. Going to scan the whole side over the next few days.

Arcade King
15th May 2009, 08:57 PM
ooo very nice. Be interested to know the cost of printing.

revolt
20th May 2009, 09:53 PM
5 hours of work on cleaning up the sideart so far, and I am only about 20% done. The final image is going to be just under 1gb file size. Here's a preview of it (random bits in the pic still need to be finished like the copyright text and a few corners here and there).

Foot
22nd May 2009, 05:37 PM
Looks great, keep up the good work

Takes me forever to do this kind of work