PDA

View Full Version : Cabinet Laminate

miikeboyle
16th June 2006, 07:08 PM
Hey Guys,

Ive noticed that many cabinets made these days mame seem to be painted.
is there a reason people are choosing this over laminating? is it mainly from cost or availability of the laminate?

Anyone know any sources for laminate?

Thanks
Mike

DKong
16th June 2006, 08:11 PM
Painting is a lot cheaper than laminating..Plus you get one shot with laminate and painting you can resand..If you are noused up with the laminate stuff go for it!! My MII is laminated ( t's how it came out of the factory ) and if I had the tools and experise I would Go for it especially if its a home built cab..

Virgil Tracy
16th June 2006, 09:03 PM
Hey Guys,

Ive noticed that many cabinets made these days mame seem to be painted.
is there a reason people are choosing this over laminating? is it mainly from cost or availability of the laminate?

Anyone know any sources for laminate?

Thanks
Mike

Welcome Mike

Please feel free to contribute

The Pinny Parlour
16th June 2006, 09:08 PM
G'day Mike,

Welcome mate.

Have fun and contribute where you can.

Enjoy!

Ian

RXII
7th July 2006, 11:32 PM
Hi Guys,
I am starting a MAME cab project soon, I rang my local Laminex store, they quoted me $222 for a 8'x4' sheet of 18mm laminated MDF!!! I rang the local timber yard for a price on unlaminated 18mm MDF and it was $33 a sheet!.....I will be painting!

Cheers, Simon.

RetroGame
8th July 2006, 08:54 AM
Try melamine on MDF, should be about $130 per sheet, depending on colour. A bit cheaper on partical board. If you use melamine sheet, then get some scraps to practice cutting, as it chips easily. I use a router to cut it as that doesn't leave chips.

OzStick
8th July 2006, 12:47 PM
Why 18mm board? 16mm does the job just as well and is that little bit lighter. It is also the standard thickness used by cabinet makers for kitchen cabinets etc so if you source it from the right places it is also cheaper than 16mm. A full sheet (8' x 4' or 2440mm x 1220mm) of plain 16mm MDF should set you back about $32.

With regard to laminate, I agree somewhat with RetroGame in that you should look at using Melamine MDF and cut with a router to get perfect edges, otherwise it chips very easily with a circular saw regardless of how careful you are.

A good compromise with Melamine is to leave all cut edges2 or 3mm over the dimension you need, then clamp a straight edge to the board and use a flush trim bit in the router to finish it off.

I am currently waiting on sample stock from a company that manufactures vinyl overlay that is marketed specifically to used as laminate for speakers, shelving etc. It is available in HEAPS of patterns and colours and is also textured in some cases. It is very similar to the Overlay material we currently sell so if you have a look at http://ozstick.com.au/prod_tmould.html you will get an idea of what it is.

At this stage I have no idea WHEN we may be getting any of this new material, however I can confidently say that it would cost less than you might think and be a very tempting alternative to painting. It would certainly give a classier finish to a cabinet..........

If you do decide to paint, definitely use MDF rather than particleboard. Also, use an MDF sealing paint as an undercoat - Bristol have a brand called White Knight and they make a good MDF sealer. It is very thick, dries quickly and turns to chalk when you sand it and works brilliantly for creating a good base for your top coat. It's a bit of work but worth the effort as it prevents the MDF from going "furry" when you apply the first top coat, especially on edges.

Anyway, I think that's enough opinionated ranting from me for now!

Cheers,
Chris

The Pinny Parlour
8th July 2006, 12:50 PM
Good info Chris. Thanks :)