PDA

View Full Version : Does firmware modding void psp warranty?

opm881
27th June 2008, 09:52 PM
Ok, im tossing up if i should buy a second hand psp from eb as they are only $160 now and have 12 months warranty which is probably upgradable for a small fee like with the ps2s and such. Now, will doing a firmware mod void my warranty? I know physical mods do but i am not sure about firmware mods. Anyone know?

LOTR4U
27th June 2008, 09:57 PM
.... Yes it does.

opm881
27th June 2008, 11:09 PM
are you sure?

----edit----
just found the sony psp warranty and it says any modification or unauthorised programs do void it. Im guessing eb would be the same. Oh well, might get one any way, not gonna brick it and if i do oz mod chips can fix it :P or maybe sum1 here can help me fix it :P

narf_
27th June 2008, 11:18 PM
any modding you void warranty. just take a punt if something goes wrong with it

opm881
27th June 2008, 11:22 PM
yea. i reckon i will. My aunty was supposed to buy me a personal organiser for my b'day, and that still hasnt happened and she keeps on saying we gotta get it we gotta get it. might just say look, my ds is a personal organiser, could i just take $120(average price of a personal organiser as far as i can see) and use it to buy a psp

felixthadog
28th June 2008, 11:23 AM
Ok, im tossing

You'll go blind if you continue doing that :p

Matthew

opm881
28th June 2008, 01:05 PM
i could swear i put up in there, oh well its there now

headkaze
28th June 2008, 02:19 PM
To properly mod your PSP so it can run emulators and homebrew these days you need the Pandora battery, or the Datel battery which puts your PSP into service mode. Once you have the firmware done that way you can downgrade it back to your original firmware if you need to so it shouldn't invalidate your warranty. Obviously you wouldn't try and get a broken PSP fixed under warranty with the DarkAlex firmware on there.

I run 3.71M33-3 on mine, which I put on ages ago, so I'm not sure what the latest is.

opm881
28th June 2008, 02:27 PM
yea but with the custom firmware, will that void the warranty? Ive heard about needing the pandora battery, but if some how the firmware that the psp at be has is 2.00 i can downgrade it without needing the pandora battery

opm881
11th July 2008, 07:25 PM
New question to do with downgrading. I bought a ff7 crisis core psp today and i was looking around a few forums for some themes when i found this: http://www.psp-hacks.com/file/1215

Does anyone know if that will actually work? my psp is running firmware 3.95

headkaze
11th July 2008, 10:10 PM
I thought the only way to downgrade new PSPs was using a Datel battery (aka Pandora's Battery). There have been many software downgraders in the past but unless this is something really new with some newly discovered backdoor I doubt it will work for you.

opm881
12th July 2008, 10:56 AM
i downloaded it and it only works for 3.5 down, so no luck :( Oh well

opm881
12th July 2008, 04:20 PM
anyone on the coast downgrade a psp and are willing to do it for me if I bring it in?