PDA

View Full Version : Potato King Mame machine

Potato King
15th June 2006, 12:07 AM
To date this is my scratch built mame machine, for the last few weekends Iíve been up to my arse in MDF dust & if I have to measure & cut one more piece of it I may just come close to cracking. It's much more fun now Im screwing it.. oooh err. Iíve basically got all the bits now cept I decided to scrap the competition buttons Id brought in favour of some standard ones + a few items from ozstick still to come. Iíve still got to design the artwork & get it printed & produce the dxf files for the perspex cut-outs...... when it's finished Iím hoping it can be seen from space.

Some of the specs are:-

Ipac encoder
Happs competition joys
Standard pushbuttons setout for neo-geo & 6 button games
21 inch NEC CRT monitor
Logitec 5.1 suround 140 watt speaker system
Mechanical coin mech
Antec LED blue lights under controls
Antec LED blue cooling fans either side of monitor
Perspex on control board cover c/w cut out in MDF for viewing window to Ipac
Belkin Keyboard & glow mouse.

First few pics are AutoCAD renders & thereís a few of the control panel c/w keyboard/mouse drawer.

snippy
15th June 2006, 10:05 AM
Looking good potato! Looks like a lot of work alright, but I'm sure once you're finished it'll be worth it though, just gotta keep slogging away...

Keep the pictures coming, I've seen a lot of cocktaily type stuff lately but I dont think i've ever followed a build of an upright, seems a lot more common for people to gut/restore cabinets.

Cheers,
Snippy.

RetroBorg
15th June 2006, 12:18 PM
One thing missing from the Aussie Arcade forum is there hasn't been many built from scratch Mame cabinets, looking forward to seeing more pictures of yours Potato King.

elvis
15th June 2006, 12:29 PM
One thing missing from the Aussie Arcade forum is there hasn't been many built from scratch Mame cabinets, looking forward to seeing more pictures of yours Potato King.
http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?t=37

There's a few in there (including mine).

On topic... nice looking design there. I like seeing people who go for the full CAD design first and build second. I'll be following this one.

RetroBorg
15th June 2006, 08:43 PM

You're right, there's a lot more than I realised, some very nice work there too.

Potato King
15th June 2006, 10:09 PM
Thanx for the words of support Snippy & Retro, Ill def add some more pics of progress.:D

Fuk my roman sandals your machine looks very similar my machine Elvis... well considering mine was loosely based on LuSID's design also that's a bit of a no brainer. Awesome web site too, wish Id seen it before I started mine, I had the same idea of perhaps documenting mine too hence the progress pics.

Iím well jealous of ur hanger/shed, every time I need to work on mine I have to grab all my tools out of one of my 2.5X2.5 garden sheds, move all the bits outside from the games room & vice versa when it's time to pack the shit up, hence the going is slow cos Iím limited to w/end daylight hours... Going up to Gero this w/end too so I won't get anything done till next week. Iíve got the itch & can't scratch it.

Anyway it should be standing under it's own power next weekend. *rubs hands*

elvis
16th June 2006, 09:53 AM
Fuk my roman sandals your machine looks very similar my machine Elvis... well considering mine was loosely based on LuSID's design also that's a bit of a no brainer. Awesome web site too, wish Id seen it before I started mine, I had the same idea of perhaps documenting mine too hence the progress pics.
Yup, LuSiD to the rescue for mine. I basically converted his units to metric, and then skinnied the cab up so it wouldn't look so stupid with a 21" monitor in there.

And definitely do as much documentation as you can. I've had literally dozens of people drop me an email and say "Hey I used your plans and the tips on your site and make a great cab". I even had a Canadian Year 12 girl email me pics of her finished cab that she did for her senior woodwork project based off my plans!

I couldn't have made my cab without LuSiD's plans, so it's only right that I document and share my progress with the world.

Iím well jealous of ur hanger/shed, every time I need to work on mine I have to grab all my tools out of one of my 2.5X2.5 garden sheds, move all the bits outside from the games room & vice versa when it's time to pack the shit up, hence the going is slow cos Iím limited to w/end daylight hours..
Yeah, the big Titan shed came with the house. That and the back deck were the two reasons I bought the place. It had termites, and gets drafty, but I don't care because I've got a big ****-off shed. :)

Grab yourself a 25m extention cable and one of those $30 standing halogen lamps from Bunnings. "Daylight hours" no longer are an issue with 1000W of halogens lighting the way. :)

Potato King
26th June 2006, 03:02 PM
You wouldnít believe it, the lady next door complained to the council yesterday about the large erection I was putting up in the back yardÖ. She also complained about the Mame cabinet tooÖ ba doom dish.

Saturday after work I decided to add a coin door for the coin mech soís I didnít look like such a tool having to dart around the back of the cabinet to retrieve the 20c pieces, I also attached the front of the control panel & a few other small bits so on Sunday I could put it all together.

Sundee didnít get to start till 2:00 so was running about like a blue arsed fly, bolted the first corners of the side, bottom & front together, put the other side piece on & it was then that my one & only 2.38mm drill bit decided to snap off in one of the pilot holesÖ

Anyway itís finally standing, minus a few pieces, next stage is where the fun really begins, bogging, sanding & prepingÖÖÖ.. Right after I dangle my balls into the blender.

elvis
26th June 2006, 05:01 PM
Sexy keyboard drawer.

Looking good so far!

LOTR4U
26th June 2006, 07:36 PM
Very Nice! Im proud! :D

DKong
26th June 2006, 07:45 PM
Great job there! Lurve that design!

The Pinny Parlour
26th June 2006, 08:59 PM
That is looking sweet as mate. What plans are you using again? Love to get them. I like that style cab, and am looking for an upright with Horizontal monitor.

Potato King
26th June 2006, 10:05 PM
Sexy keyboard drawer.

Looking good so far!

Agree... My drawer makes me anxious. :redface

Speaking of my drawer Elvis o guru Mame swami (or any lesser quasi swamiís) have you seen in ur travels a quick release mech for control panels? Id like perhaps to one day make another with a trackball & when this happens would like to already have a release system in place to swap them overÖ.. Was reading a post by Chris form OZstick about using Velcro but dunno if thatís the option I wantÖ

Ta

PK

Potato King
26th June 2006, 10:29 PM
That is looking sweet as mate. What plans are you using again? Love to get them. I like that style cab, and am looking for an upright with Horizontal monitor.

Plans are based on LuSiDís designÖ Based on look that is, the dimensions of these two cabs are now in no way similar apart from maybe the height 2m. The cab has been a redraw in 3D AutoCAD. The keyboard & mouse have been incorporated into the control panel instead of under it, just looked a little more compact & more like an original arcade machine, this also puts the keyboard closer up to the user. Iíve done no formal plans yet but hope to get some as builts done on completion. Iím going to get the monitor into the cab for a measure up this w/end & get started on the dxf templates for profile cuttingÖ

So no plans yet, just a working 3D model & prelim prints Iím working off.

PK

DKong
26th June 2006, 11:01 PM
Agree... My drawer makes me anxious. :redface

Speaking of my drawer Elvis o guru Mame swami (or any lesser quasi swamiís) have you seen in ur travels a quick release mech for control panels? Id like perhaps to one day make another with a trackball & when this happens would like to already have a release system in place to swap them overÖ.. Was reading a post by Chris form OZstick about using Velcro but dunno if thatís the option I wantÖ

Ta

PK
You could use a metal release clip like used in cocktails to hold the top down, as long as you can access it through the keyboard drawer. How much room is between the CP top and the keyboard drawer? Trackballs are quite deep too..well the 3 inch ones are...

Potato King
27th June 2006, 12:05 AM
You could use a metal release clip like used in cocktails to hold the top down, as long as you can access it through the keyboard drawer. How much room is between the CP top and the keyboard drawer? Trackballs are quite deep too..well the 3 inch ones are...

Thankx DK

Do u mean these?

http://www.happcontrols.com/amusement/acesor/43205900.htm

Dunno if I understand htf they work (I'm just a common potato)..... would I have to unscrew these things when I wanted to replace the control box? Really after something I can quickly unclip by hand......

rumackay
30th June 2006, 03:16 PM
Really after something I can quickly unclip by hand......I'm still looking for something to do the same job. I want to have a slightly wider control panel (4 player) so it needs to be able to be removed to move the cabinet through doorways. I have been trying to find springy type latches similar to those on eskies where you hook over and pull down...does that make any sense??? I'm confusing myself trying to describe them...

Potato King
30th June 2006, 10:23 PM
I'm still looking for something to do the same job. I want to have a slightly wider control panel (4 player) so it needs to be able to be removed to move the cabinet through doorways. I have been trying to find springy type latches similar to those on eskies where you hook over and pull down...does that make any sense??? I'm confusing myself trying to describe them...

http://www.happcontrols.com/accessories/49005900.htm

I found these a couple of days ago & put an order in last night, I've gone away from the detachable control box but Im using two to hold down the hinged control panel. These will be hidden from view inside the cab.

rumackay
30th June 2006, 10:36 PM
Them's the things!!!! Panel clamps!!! Oh it makes so much sense.... Champion Potato, champion! :sm1:

...Where did you get them from?

Potato King
1st July 2006, 12:02 AM
Heh.... yeah, I got em from Happs. I had to get a few other things for the cab as well. Tried to find these at Bunnings but all they had were flat mount where I needed angle mount which these babys will do. If you look hard enough Im sure there around somewhere.

PK

Potato King
4th July 2006, 02:32 PM
I had a rush of shit to the brain the other night while ordering a few parts from Happs & have decided to rehash the Mame config & player 1 & 2 buttons on the control panel, these buttons are now Happs illuminated push buttons 7mm low profile, Iíve also ordered black knobs for the joysticks *insert black knob joke here* as before they were yellow. Originally the whole theme was yellow but as the design progressed to a neo geo layout I couldnít be arsed sending an order to Happs just to replace the sticks. The panel looks less cluttered now there black.

Only had a spare 4hrs on the w/end so not much progress, the screen support panel & marquee speaker panel have now been put in & the screw holes have been bogged, also fitted the marquee fluro. Hopefully this w/end I can apply the undercoat weather permitting.

rumackay
4th July 2006, 03:07 PM
Cabinet is looking great and I love the triangle push buttons...very schmick!

elvis
4th July 2006, 03:19 PM
Just a suggestion:

I notice you've planned to have your "Neo Geo" layout across the bottom. That's how I've got mine, but after 2 years of using it it gives me the shits.

Why? Well, every Neo Geo game you load up needs to be reconfigured. PITA. Instead, consider having the Neo layout across the top with the 4th botton haning off the top right. Wire it and the bottom left button to the same input (giving you 2x "button 4"s).

I have heard there's a way to write an input config that pertains to a particular driver, but I've not investigated it. I might do that first, and see if it's viable rather than customising each Neo game one by one.

DKong
4th July 2006, 05:46 PM
http://www.happcontrols.com/accessories/49005900.htm

I found these a couple of days ago & put an order in last night, I've gone away from the detachable control box but Im using two to hold down the hinged control panel. These will be hidden from view inside the cab.

Them the one's I meant!;)

Potato King
5th July 2006, 12:20 AM
Just a suggestion:

I notice you've planned to have your "Neo Geo" layout across the bottom. That's how I've got mine, but after 2 years of using it it gives me the shits.

Why? Well, every Neo Geo game you load up needs to be reconfigured. PITA. Instead, consider having the Neo layout across the top with the 4th botton haning off the top right. Wire it and the bottom left button to the same input (giving you 2x "button 4"s)..

Thanks for the input Elvis, it's much appreciated mate, I've just been for a second "in depth" look at your web site.... you've got the same router I borrowed off my old boy & I had to fukn laugh at your chinese safety boots, same as mine although your comfort groove seams to be more worn in than mine. Thongs are at there best when there's 1mm between you & the ground.... Anyway nuff about rubber foot ware & back to the exciting as bat shit world of button placement.

Clarification - What buttons would you use on your panel for say 1942? Are you saying you don't use the red button for non Neo games?

*puts on thinking cap* My thoughts were that as most of my fav games are NG that the bottom row of buttons would be used for those games, as most older games only use up to 3 buttons the only games Id have to config would be 6 button MK & SF type stuff. So on all 2/3 button games the cranked red button would be the main fire & yellow & green the secondary. Wadayafuknreckon?:D

elvis
5th July 2006, 09:48 AM
TI had to fukn laugh at your chinese safety boots, same as mine although your comfort groove seams to be more worn in than mine.
:lol

Yeah got the same comment from a mate who saw the site. He lived in Thailand for a bit, so he called them Thai safety boots. Pisser. :) Others have laughed at my use of safety goggles, but no boots. But it's only MDF. Not like the stuff weighs a tonne. But boy does it get in your eyes, up your nose, and in your ears!

Ok, button placement: what I have on my cab is the following:

"X" - stick
"1" = buttons, numbered in order

X 1 2 3
7 4 5 6

So 1-6 are default for street fighter games, but I have to go and reprogram 7, 4, 5, 6 to be "A B C D" for Neo Geo games. If I was to rebuild my cab, I'd do the following:

X 1 2 3 4
4 5 6

See how there are 2 button "4"s. That way Neo Geo games are all set to go, and street fighter games are all set to go. No reprogramming, just use the defaults for everything.

It doesn't look as nice, granted. And again, I need to hunt around to see if there's an easy way to program all NeoGeo games to use a particular key config via one config file. It should be doable, I just need to figure out how.

rock
5th July 2006, 04:36 PM
hi mate great cab am looking at building one
do you have the plans?

Potato King
5th July 2006, 10:40 PM
"X" - stick
"1" = buttons, numbered in order

X 5 6 7
1 2 3 4

This was my thinking, 1-4 are default for Neo Geo games & most classic games but I will have to reprogram all buttons for SF/MK games which are not as common. eg: button 1 would become obsolete except on MK3 where it would be used for run.

With what you were saying on option 2 I think itís a great idea :023: but personally I don't think Id like the feel of reaching over other buttons to hit the defaults. I think that reprogramming some of the buttons for a handful of 6 button games would be a better option for me.

Just on another topic Elvis, skip, jack me old matey, how many litres of black paint did you use on ur cab?

elvis
6th July 2006, 10:33 AM
Your layout above means you'd have to reprogram all your 6-button games. Capcom fighters use 123 for punch (top row) and 456 for kick (bottom row).

I dunno... I'm almost tempted to make myself a scratchbuilt Neo cab at this stage, just to deal with it. :)

As for paint: I bought a 4 litre tin, which so far has done 2 coats on my standup, and 2 coats on my cocktail, with about a litre to spare. I'd say 2 litres for the big cab, and 1 for the small cab.

spot
6th July 2006, 11:19 AM
what kinda paint do you use elvis??
and do you use any kind of varnish to protect it??

elvis
6th July 2006, 12:22 PM
what kinda paint do you use elvis??
and do you use any kind of varnish to protect it??
I'll tell you the exact brand and type when I get home today. Will try to take a photo of the tin too.

It was a high gloss (85% according to the tin) enamel. This stuff dries like a plastic coating (pretty much because it is). No water based paint here. This stuff is bullet proof. My 3 year old bit my cabinet (yes, with her teeth). The control panel is covered in a vinyl overlay, and has teeth marks in it. The cab itself doesn't even have a scratch, despite her best efforts.

Colour was "Jet Black". It's the darkest black colour available, I'm told. And only available in enamels. Water based paints won't go that dark apparently. (They turn out grey or purple/blue).

Jump on the site, click "Materials" and scroll to the bottom of the page:
http://benchmark.mameworld.net/cab1/

This stuff wasn't cheap. IIRC it was $80 for a 4 litre tin. But worth every cent IMHO. (Assuming you like black cabs of course, which many people don't).

Potato King
9th July 2006, 07:38 PM
Rock

So no plans yet, just a working 3D model & prelim prints Iím working off.

PK

Same as I told Pinny last week mate, plans are just a pile of sketches so far, Whilst Im flattered you would want to build one the same Ive spent at least 50 hrs on the CAD model to date so not to keen to hand them out willy nilly, any questions thou Ill be only to happy to answer.

You can get similar plans here http://chris.polymathic.net/cabinet/part6.shtml

This is where I started myself. You will get greater satisfaction building your cab if you tweek the plans yourself. Again any questions Ill answer to the best of my ability.

Love PK

Potato King
18th July 2006, 02:44 PM
Is it a bird? Is it a plane? Is it a white dog turd on the back lawn, no it's my undercoated Mame machine all ready for a nice coat of bogan black.

The order from happs came yesterday & I've printed & inserted the button labels.

The order has been sent to the Perspex fabbies for the control panel, marquee & monitor shield.

Hopefully if Iím in town on the w/end I should finish the painting & all work can be done inside & I won't have to rely on weekend daylight anymore.

Next issue is wiring up my spare computer power supply for the lights.:confused:

Potato King
24th July 2006, 02:38 PM
Cab now in bogan black, coin door added & bottom speakers installed.

rottenpig
24th July 2006, 04:16 PM
that looks sweet, what size monitor are you going for?

Potato King
26th July 2006, 12:29 AM
that looks sweet, what size monitor are you going for?

Ta mate, looks even sweeter when the pics are high res, might look at getting them hosted.

Going for a 21 inch nec, it's not a flat screen thou so I can see a few headaches coming up ****ing around with the bezel.

wedgie
28th July 2006, 09:10 PM
Some pretty funky acad renders there p.king!!!
What job number did those go under!!!

Potato King
14th August 2006, 03:01 PM
T-moulding installed

Speakers half installed

Monitor half installed

Antec Fans installed

Picked up my perspex on Saturday so was finally able to make the control panel using it as a template. The wiring is actually going to be quite fun now Ive sorted out how to turn on my ATX power supply without a computer (thankx Dan). Also had my first go a Paintshop & finished my Marquee & cp artwork, just need to get this printed & thats it for parts. Hoping to get most of it bowled over on the w/end.:)

Potato King
23rd August 2006, 09:08 AM
Finished..........

Pics here

http://schmitt.pdcwa.com.au

Stand back, the Starship enterprise is about to take the fuk off...

I’m wrapped with the final look of the cabinet thou & had a great time building it, the photo's don't do it allot of justice as the flash makes all the lights & screen look dull where in the real world is got a nice glow & the screen is bright as. Ill try take some better photos later.

Id highly recommend anyone thinking of doing one from scratch to seriously give it a go. I wish Id had a shed to do it in thou, it would have made the whole process go quicker not having to constantly pack & un pack gear from the house. Also procrastinating on the art work & Perspex cost me allot of time.

There are still a few minor tidy up things left to do but now its up & running any time spent near it is playing games & not finishing off.

Special thanks to my partner for putting up with all the mess & building on w/ends, Chris from oz-stick for answering my noob questions & his excellent after sales support, Dan (Elvis) for doing the same & everyone else who gave support.

Rumacky
Retro Borg
Snippy
DKong
Pinny
Microwrx

Plans for the Cab are still awayz off as I probably won’t get a chance to get my sketches & build changes on paper until I get back from getting married to the potato queen O/S. If anybody wants the raw artwork files I used I can put them on the link above for download, or alternatively you can download them from the Arcade Artwork website.

PKING

Viper
23rd August 2006, 09:52 AM
Nice CP. Just wondering what the point of the triangular buttons are? I think they look great but why are they there? You do realise that even in the standard MAME config the IPAC has shifted buttons for enter, tab(menu), pause and escape etc. negating the need for any non-game related buttons (and even more so when you have a keyboard tray). They do look cool though!

Potato King
23rd August 2006, 02:49 PM
Nice CP. Just wondering what the point of the triangular buttons are? I think they look great but why are they there? You do realise that even in the standard MAME config the IPAC has shifted buttons for enter, tab(menu), pause and escape etc. negating the need for any non-game related buttons (and even more so when you have a keyboard tray). They do look cool though!

Yes they are as superfluous as Krustys 3rd nipple, originally I just had 2 config buttons but one night while smoking crack I had the brain wave of doing it that way.:D

MadMikeAU
23rd August 2006, 03:40 PM
Personally, I think the menu keys look great. Though it needs a screenshot key

Viper
23rd August 2006, 09:16 PM
Yes they are as superfluous as Krustys 3rd nipple, originally I just had 2 config buttons but one night while smoking crack I had the brain wave of doing it that way.:D
Ah, OK. They do look cool though!

rumackay
24th August 2006, 09:19 PM
That's lookin' awesome PK! Well done. Now I'm even more keen for footy season to be finished (I've never said that before...) so that I can spend weekends finishing mine.

How's the sound from the speakers? They look like logitech or similar and I'm tossing up between the 2.1 or the 5.1 for the jukebox side.

And the triangle buttons blend so well into the cp too.

Potato King
24th August 2006, 11:32 PM
Personally, I think the menu keys look great. Though it needs a screenshot key

Yeah sometimes it's the superfluous shit that makes stuff special.... like a piece of cardboard in ur BXM spokes, totaly useless but hell cool;)

That's lookin' awesome PK! Well done. Now I'm even more keen for footy season to be finished (I've never said that before...) so that I can spend weekends finishing mine.

How's the sound from the speakers? They look like logitech or similar and I'm tossing up between the 2.1 or the 5.1 for the jukebox side.

And the triangle buttons blend so well into the cp too.

Ta m8, it's been a labor of love. Im glad I got the high powered coloured leds for them too, I tried the filament globes for a comparison & the buttons were a much paler blue with kind of a yellow light coming from the edges, they look like candy now:cool:

The speakers are mint, loud as shit & the games sound awesome with big bass, I saw the 5.1's for 99 clams the other day in EB, makes for a cheap & easy sound system.