PDA

View Full Version : Freeloader Disc on Wii

BettyCrocker1942
18th June 2008, 01:44 PM
Does anyone know much about these freeloader discs?

I got my Wii modded and filled my bag with Wii games from Bali.
Most of the games work fine, however some will show the boot screen in the Wii menu, but once you load into the game, the Wii seems to freeze and needs to be powered off.

Would the freeloader help in this situation? The guy at the ModShop said that the freeloader will run all the games that the mod chip can't.... but not sure if he was just milking for more coin.

If I was to get a freeloader disc, what country would I get? I only see Euro, USA and Jap listed when they mention them... i didnt pay attention to the copy they had at ModShop...

:)

bwodie
18th June 2008, 01:53 PM
dont know anything about the freeloader but the primary reason you get that freezing is when trying to run some NTSC games on a PAL machine

Roxbury
18th June 2008, 02:11 PM
Nintendo have just put out a system update that will stop Freeloader from working. See this link on Vooks (http://www.vooks.net/modules.php?module=article&id=12995) for more details.

Freeloader users need to be aware of this, and be careful not to install it!!

BuRNZ
18th June 2008, 11:36 PM

VOOK
18th June 2008, 11:47 PM
Awww you guys visit my site.

<3

cwispy
19th June 2008, 12:51 AM
The freeloader disk does not work with all disks. The modshop as usual are spreading a load of rubbish. Some ntsc games will not work on pal consoles no matter what. It can also depend on what type of modchip you have installed and what firmware is on the chip as to whether a game will work or not. Another thing to try is changing from pal 60 to pal 50 in the systems settings. A handy link is http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/index.php/Wii_Region_Patcher_Compatibility_List:_PAL

Roxbury
19th June 2008, 06:54 AM
Awww you guys visit my site.

<3

I think your site is the best for Nintendo news!! I check it out daily :D

BettyCrocker1942
19th June 2008, 11:35 AM
That clears things up for me.
Thanks for all the info...

The Bali games don't list NTSC/PAL on the case... so I imagine that it's the NTSC ones that are cactus...

I was hoping the freeloader would work on the games that the WiiKey didnt work with... I'll have to compare them to that table...

Looks like I'll have head to the video shop and start some ripping.... :badgrin

XiTaU
19th June 2008, 02:52 PM
new updates gonna kill the use of the freeloader anyway so i'd advise against getting one.

cwispy
19th June 2008, 04:09 PM
Those with a modchip can get a backup copy of the freeloader disk, so they are not likely to waste a lot of money on it. ;)

BettyCrocker1942
19th June 2008, 04:30 PM
ill have to download a copy and check it out...

Sure beats $50 large... :D

By pure fluke aswell I found one of the LG drives that lets you dump games to an ISO. Just need to stock up on blanks and away we go!

cwispy
19th June 2008, 04:39 PM
You are very lucky to be able to find an LG drive, however you can also purchase the USB Gecko which hooks the Wii console up to the PC and allows you to backup the disks that way. Their home page is http://www.usbgecko.com/

BettyCrocker1942
19th June 2008, 05:32 PM
I fix PCs so we had a few lying around as workbench spares.. they are DVD read only which noone really wants anymore...

That USB Gecko looks interesting.

My next Wii project is to get that homebrew stuff working so I can play ScummVM on Wii! :D

BettyCrocker1942
30th June 2008, 11:01 AM
UPDATE:

I found that running GECKO-OS / GECKO REGION FREE homebrew got around all of the NTSC loading problems I was having.

It's worked for every JAP/US game I have tried so far. :)

You can check it out at:
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_apps/Gecko_Region_Free

cwispy
30th June 2008, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the tip BC. Will be sure to pass this one onto the customers who are interested in a little more than backing up the kids games.

Savage
13th January 2010, 09:12 PM
So how do you get this too work, anticipating ti will work for Williams Pinball collection....

Can install it, or has to be run from SD card?

rod71
13th January 2010, 10:36 PM
So how do you get this too work, anticipating ti will work for Williams Pinball collection....

Can install it, or has to be run from SD card?

Williams pinball will run through neogamma backup launcher.