PDA

View Full Version : UniPak 2 repair

humpalot
14th June 2008, 06:53 PM
My trusty Data I/O 29B programmer with UniPak2, a few weeks ago decided no longer work and wouldn't pass the self test. Couldn't find any faults with the DMM so started to think about prom or eprom error. After a number of emails and posts on some O/S forums I eventually found someone who sent me the rom images from their UniPak2 minus the proms as they couldn't copy them. These images were from a later version and would not work in my machine. You need to replace the proms when updating versions :cry

Purchased a Data I/O 19 with UniPak2 from the US. The UniPak in it too was faulty however it was the same version as mine. Swapped parts around to I got one to work. problem on my original UniPak was faulty rom at U20. Fault on second second unit was faulty IDE cable and faulty rom at U21.

Machine is now back up and running :D And I now have spares.

Anyone with a Data I/O programmer it might pay to back up your roms.

Skybeaux
15th June 2008, 08:15 AM
Glad you managed to get it working again.:D

I've been meaning to backup the software in mine but have been putting it off.
You know ,out of sight, out of mind.
I don't use it often enough.
Mine's a 29a with unipak 2 so slightly different.
I need to get a hold of some TMS2716's to make a spare set of roms for the programmer itself.
Bit hard to copy the contents of it's proms...i'd need to remove them and then it wouldn't be working to read them:lol
Haven't really checked what's inside the unipak2.
What version software is in your Unipak ??
I'll check mine today.
Yours might be later than mine , or vise versa.

humpalot
15th June 2008, 10:07 AM
When I do the version test on the programmer it comes up with V4, not sure if this relates to the programmer itself or the UniPak2?

The eproms in the UniPak on mine are all 27128's the file that I was sent are all 27256 and are for V15. The labels on my UniPak eproms read 324-0059-009 and 324-0059-010 and was manufactured in 1984 and 85. V15 was manufactured in 1987 and the labels read 324-0059-037 and 324-0059-038.

The eproms in the programmer are all 2732's and I can only read the eproms and not the proms for the programmer as I don't have another programmer that reads proms.

Hope that helps.

Skybeaux
15th June 2008, 01:04 PM
Thanks for the info.:)

From what i've read your version number V4 relates to the software that's in the programmer itself...but don't hold me to that.
The 29A's a bit different and doesn't show a version number on the programmer.

My eproms in the unipak2 are only 2764's so i'd say you've got later software than me.
Mine has revision D on the memory board so i figure that's the version :unsure ,but the chips have A's on them ??
I can't make out the year of manufacture as the writing's blurred.

Do you know if your memory board has the same part number stamped on it ?
That way i'd know if mine's capable of having the software updated ,or whether there's more to it than just changing roms and proms.
My board looks like it's had some factory modifications done to it to upgrade it.

humpalot
15th June 2008, 01:43 PM
Memory board is the same stamped part No. just the hand written details are different mine is -003- Rev J. From looking at your pics and my boards the only difference is the jumper settings at JP1, yours are set from the middle to the right, mine are from the middle to the left.

So looks OK to upgrade.

dav000616
1st July 2008, 02:44 PM
What ROM revisions are available for the 29B, after self test I get System 29b V02 I get the V02 is the rom revision but i'm only guessing here. Sounds like I'll get backing up my ROMs on the Unipak just in case

humpalot
1st July 2008, 06:42 PM
The rom version that is displayed is for the unit and not for the unipack. You have V2 software in the 29B my unit has V4. I wish someone would host the data i/o software and firmware updates it would of saved me a lot of trouble.

gitanes
3rd July 2008, 01:05 PM
There are some roms for 29B at here.
http://arcarc.xmission.com/Test%20Equipment/DATA-IO/UNIPAK2B/

Arcade King
2nd August 2008, 06:14 PM
The rom version that is displayed is for the unit and not for the unipack. You have V2 software in the 29B my unit has V4. I wish someone would host the data i/o software and firmware updates it would of saved me a lot of trouble.

I won a Data I/O 29B with the unipack last night so now im officially interested.
I'm happy to host manuals, software and rom revisions here on AA for our members.
Let me know what you guys think if so you can send me what you have.

dav000616
4th August 2008, 11:17 PM
It's already been mentioned but you can get the Data 1/0 29B manuals & device lists here

http://www.pestingers.net/Data_IO_29B.htm

Arcade King
5th August 2008, 07:38 PM
I already started a thread a few days back with links and useful files.

http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?t=16418
Thanks to John for donating the proms. The one I'm getting is apparently Revision 6 so I'll dump the roms and up it.