PDA

View Full Version : My Spacies Boo Boo

spacies
11th June 2008, 11:45 AM
I built a Taito Big Blue a few days ago.

Some build shots below.

http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL757/2715941/19856795/320851095.jpg

I built as per spec but I always forget how short they are. I built a 50mm plinth to make it taller:

http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL757/2715941/19856795/320851106.jpg

I gave in a sand then primed and painted it with some left over Tiger Gold (Holden Colour) that I had left over from painting my Valiant VF Coupe. It was sanded flat with some 800grit to get it super smooth for the decals. The black is a metallic and looks pretty nice.

http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL757/2715941/19856795/320851208.jpg

http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL757/2715941/19856795/320851102.jpg

Now for the Boo Boo :lol. I got distracted when I had the decals laid out and when I came back to this machine I picked up a decal and stuck it down. I used the wet method of course :p simply because I was on my own and car paint is like glass so once its stuck, thats it.

http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL757/2715941/19856795/320851111.jpg

I didn't take much notice until a friend politely pointed out that I had put them on the wrong sides. Idiot! Oh well. The machine is finished but I don't have anymore pics. I will post some more next week.

Still looks :cool:

felixthadog
11th June 2008, 11:50 AM
my Valiant VF Coupe

Got any pics? :unsure

Matthew

MetalSkin
11th June 2008, 11:53 AM
I'm confused, whats been put on the wrong sides? :unsure

either way, sure is looking nice. wish i had a spray gun :(

hamish_nz
11th June 2008, 11:53 AM
I doubt anyone will notice mate

looks good

spacies
11th June 2008, 11:54 AM
Got any pics? :unsure

Matthew

Heaps. But they are all on a corrupt HDD. I will send it to a data recovery company once we sell the house 'cos its ****en expensive.

MrNorm copied me. I have spoken to him tons of times. (http://www.mrnorms.com/cars/img/Mr.%20Norm's%20new%2068%20GSS%20Dart.jpg)

tnpshow
11th June 2008, 11:57 AM
Really looks the goods! - I wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't mentioned it.

Where did the art come from?

spacies
11th June 2008, 11:57 AM
My standards are too high to be doing shit like that.
The large crater is meant to be at the rear, not the front.

MetalSkin
11th June 2008, 11:59 AM
My standards are too high to be doing shit like that.
The large crater is meant to be at the rear, not the front.

ahh... not familiar with them enough to realise the problem. reckon most wouldn't. Now you'll have to sell it and make another!

spacies
11th June 2008, 12:06 PM
Where did the art come from?

Cheers.

Art was printed on a Gang Run Printer. 3.2 metres wide. Quality isn't as good as a standard digital printer but I am a fussy bastard. Joe blogs will be wrapped! Its just not viable to print huge runs on a normal digital printer because of the costs.

Fish Tales
11th June 2008, 12:10 PM
looks very nice all the same

Wotto
11th June 2008, 12:13 PM
Mate - that cab built from scratch looks fantastic !!

Where did you get the SI cabinet artwork from??

Keep the pics coming please.

spacies
11th June 2008, 01:05 PM
Cheers Wotto.
The sideart is at the localarcade.com. The front stuff I just mocked up from pics to be semi-close to the original and I printed it myself on a friends printer.

Will post some more pics next week.
Some of you will remember this other one I built a while back. (http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?t=8235&highlight=built+hot+rodder)

MetalSkin
11th June 2008, 01:34 PM
Some of you will remember this other one I built a while back. (http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?t=8235&highlight=built+hot+rodder)

So do you like the stencil approach or the pre-printed artwork approach? The other one you build a while back looks wicked, even though it's not the full artwork, just the outline looks brilliant.

How do you notice the quality difference between the different styles of printing and what do you get it printed on?

spacies
11th June 2008, 01:39 PM
Even though I build a lot of cabs with multi boards, LCDs, digital prints etc my heart is all for the old original stuff. I grew up in the arcade. We had our own for 3 years.

I love the Yanks cabinets but they just aren't available so I have to build them.

I like the stencils. When I do them I feel like I am doing it properly.

Oh, the printing. Well a gang run printer is about less cost more product. Normal printers are about smaller prints <1.2mtrs and better quality.
I am being fussy. You take 1 step back and you can't tell the difference from one or the other.

Strangeways
11th June 2008, 01:52 PM
WOW - Nice... I remember these in the arcades years ago.

Keep the pictures coming, mate - awesome job..:cool:

DonkyKong
11th June 2008, 04:07 PM
As always spacies I love your work.
I love all the details in retro cabs its what makes them so great to look at.
Its well worth the effort to have a go.
Keep em coming :)

DK

Foot
11th June 2008, 07:12 PM
Quality of the prints looks pretty good from here

Good one Spacies:023:

WOKA
11th June 2008, 07:50 PM
As I was scrolling down the pics reading your story, I was thinking, 'dumb shit put the art work on back the front..' I read the next paragraph and realise that was the DOH..!

Ah well.. Still looks pretty damn nice..

maxpower
15th June 2008, 09:46 AM
I love it:D Very nice.

spacies
18th October 2008, 09:46 AM
Forgot about this machine

http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL757/2715941/19856795/339143280.jpg

http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL757/2715941/19856795/339143256.jpg

And a pic for you guys

http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL757/2715941/19856795/339143313.jpg

LOTR4U
18th October 2008, 10:06 AM
Neat job you bragger :p hehe

mooncresta
18th October 2008, 10:11 AM
Awesome work spacies.Man i miss my SI

narf_
18th October 2008, 10:11 AM
i see the problem

you aint naked on the reflection picture like most people are that do those :lol

WOKA
18th October 2008, 10:14 AM
Spacies, the CP overlay.. Your own or one you acquired along the way. Would love a fresh CP for my SI..!

:p

AdamC
18th October 2008, 10:15 AM
What was the vent on the front for ?
Did they have that on the original machines too ?

spacies
i see the problem

you aint naked on the reflection picture like most people are that do those :lol

Mate, I would give the Sun cancer if I got my white ass body out!!!

spacies
Its for the speaker. Similar to the original.

Spacies, the CP overlay.. Your own or one you acquired along the way. Would love a fresh CP for my SI..!

:p

I made it mate. I moved things around to suit the layout and the 48-1 PCB.

maxpower
18th October 2008, 03:43 PM
Its for the speaker. Similar to the original.

I made it mate. I moved things around to suit the layout and the 48-1 PCB.

All I can say is WOW! You the man bro, cus. Sex out of Sex!!!

Fish Tales
18th October 2008, 04:04 PM
spacies if you were to build one of these cabs to sell (empty, but decaled), how much? I assume it could be packed flat and made so its easy to assemble?
:)

spacies
18th October 2008, 05:28 PM
Fishy. Should I come to Newcastle and we can build one?

Fish Tales
18th October 2008, 05:35 PM
Fishy. Should I come to Newcastle and we can build one?

now that would be awesome! my shed is your shed....and my beer is your beer!
lets!

Brad
19th October 2008, 08:40 AM
I've always loved the SI cabs. If you look at them minus artwork they're damn boxy and ugly but that sexy artwork really makes it. Well done as usual!

Brad

Davefjedi
19th October 2008, 09:31 AM
Well that settles it then we put Fish Tales!! shed under surveillance when Spacies turns up we all rockup with a truckload of timber to commence the building:D

Brad
19th October 2008, 09:54 AM
It'd be worth the road trip ;)

Brad

Fish Tales
19th October 2008, 10:16 AM
Well that settles it then we put Fish Tales!! shed under surveillance when Spacies turns up we all rockup with a truckload of timber to commence the building:D

spacies hasnt confirmed this yet (have sent him a pm), I really do hope it happens.... my fav cab of alltime, and never expected to own one. It would be a great day to be had making this, of course yas are welcome. Bring tents if its an overnite build lol

AdamC
19th October 2008, 10:28 AM
We better bring a big trailer, too :)

Brad
19th October 2008, 11:29 AM
I can see a LOT of trailers on highways converging on newcastle. The better pic would be them all leaving loaded.

Brad

spacies
19th October 2008, 03:35 PM
spacies hasnt confirmed this yet (have sent him a pm), I really do hope it happens.... my fav cab of alltime, and never expected to own one. It would be a great day to be had making this, of course yas are welcome. Bring tents if its an overnite build lol

Can you tell me who is the bus/train service from Sydney to your place. I will check out times etc.
Also, do you have a compressor, spray gun, nail gun, cordless screwdriver, jigsaw, router, slot cutter, circular saw?

Cheers.

Fish Tales
19th October 2008, 04:13 PM
Can you tell me who is the bus/train service from Sydney to your place. I will check out times etc.
Also, do you have a compressor, spray gun, nail gun, cordless screwdriver, jigsaw, router, slot cutter, circular saw?

Cheers.

This timetable should do the job spacies http://www.cityrail.nsw.gov.au/timetable/ttable.jsp?line=nc&day=wd&dir=dn

As for buses just regular sydney buses (http://www.sydneybuses.info/getting-around/timetables.htm), and I will pick you up from the train station in newcastle of course (actually if you get off a cockle creek station its only 2 mins from my place).

Compressor/spraygun no but I "maybe" able to borrow.
Nail gun no (dont know anyone with one).
Cordless drill yes (not a cordless screwdriver).
Jigsaw yes.
router no... but maybe able to borrow
slot cutter no
circular saw yes

I will ask my father inlaw, see if he has anything I dont. Can hire gear if it comes down to it.
Cheers

spacies
19th October 2008, 05:35 PM
Ok, get back to me what you can get hold of.

Chec k this out Fishy:
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2001/10876724/20577768/339328621.jpg

narf_
19th October 2008, 05:42 PM
Dont forget a big padlock

if he isnt finished you can lock in there till he is done :lol.

Fish Tales
19th October 2008, 06:10 PM
Ok, get back to me what you can get hold of.

Chec k this out Fishy:
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2001/10876724/20577768/339328621.jpg

mate that is spooky!
:nervous:

I may actually buy a tool, call it an early crissy present. If you had to do without one tool in the list spacies what would it be? Wanna factor in the materials costs, artwork etc. But I am gonna make sure this can be absolutely do-able!

Dont forget a big padlock

if he isnt finished you can lock in there till he is done :lol.

yeah chain him to the workbench and threaten Travis to pay a visit?
lol
even I wouldnt do that!

Fish Tales
19th October 2008, 09:00 PM
as for the router fatherinlaw said this:"I have a half inch shank router (a big one) and plenty of different cutters to go with it. I don't have what is called a "slot cutter" - how wide a groove does it cut? I have a biscuit router cutter if that is what you mean"

spacies
20th October 2008, 06:10 AM
Cool. I can bring the slot cutter if you can get a router.

As for the prezzie. A compressor would be nice. You need a smooth surface for the decals to go on. It is something you can hire though, along with the spray gun. I can bring a small nail gun too.

Do you have Skype? Download it and add me. Username: spacies
We will talk about decals, paint and material costs etc.

Fish Tales
20th October 2008, 06:38 AM
no skype, but will check it out

edit: would it free chat on skype?

spacies
20th October 2008, 07:15 AM
Yes. Skype is an Internet phone.
Free calls PC to PC and free to chat.

Fish Tales
20th October 2008, 07:48 AM
skype installed, tried to call you but it didnt work, my username fishytales

Fish Tales
20th October 2008, 09:19 AM
great to chat on skype spacies, so much easier than text!
just few more questions: how much perspex will I need for the cp? dimesions and thickness pls.

and what type of screws, and size.

The mdf easy panels... 600 wide by how high? do we need 1 or 2?

This will be happening on the 31st oct guys about 11am (I gotta cost it all to confirm). Yas welcome to come over of course, have a beer play pins, watch an sweet SI cab come to life. Spacies said he can build this from scratch in just a few hours...wow!

spacies
20th October 2008, 09:48 AM
Yeah nice talking to you mate.

Perspex: 600 x 180 x 3mm clear.
Screws: 38mm
Easi Panels: Just one for now @ 1800 long.

Fish Tales
20th October 2008, 11:02 AM
thanks, gotta find T-molding as well to suit 7.5mm mdf?

and do I need a glue for the artwork? (just reading metalskins thread)

spacies
20th October 2008, 11:27 AM
Molding will be 18mm (3/4") wide.
No glue needed for the art. He is using upholstery vinyl.

Fish Tales
20th October 2008, 12:23 PM
Well bumma...we cant be sure that the artwork can be landed by the 31st. So we have decided to postpone this until next time Spacies comes to OZ.

Spacies I will still cost all this, and find suppliers for it all, ready for when it can happen.
Been a learning experience allready, and your artwork supplier is a great contact indeed....if not pushy!
lol
Thanks mate, was a really great offer and I will be hoping this can happen sometime next year.

spacies
20th October 2008, 12:57 PM
Shame.
I will be back mate.

LOL about the art. Hard man alright ;)

Fish Tales
20th October 2008, 01:04 PM
just move over here, aussies will go nuts for your cabs $$$

spacies
20th October 2008, 01:16 PM
It is something I have given thought too for about a year and I will investigate while I am over there.

I will discuss this with the mob I am going to visit while I am there and see if anything comes out of it.

Fish Tales
21st October 2008, 12:08 PM
Do move over mate!

Went to Bunnings today and they did not have 7.5mm mdf. There was 6mm and 9mm though. Could this be a problem? Could allways try another supplier though.

spacies
21st October 2008, 12:18 PM
7.5? You need 18mm. LOL.

Fish Tales
21st October 2008, 12:28 PM
7.5? You need 18mm. LOL.

lol ok, actually that answers some questions I didnt ask

Viper
22nd October 2008, 04:53 PM
lol ok, actually that answers some questions I didnt ask

Only thing I can think of is you got .75" from someone which is near enough to 18mm.

narf_
22nd October 2008, 05:04 PM
what about making the cab still

then later make another. a video of it comming to life will be nice

spacies
22nd October 2008, 06:28 PM
I had a spare day while I am in OZ so building that SI cab would have been cool. Now I will drink beer instead which is also cool.

Cool?

AdamC
22nd October 2008, 06:30 PM
Duuuude :)

Johns-Arcade
22nd October 2008, 06:35 PM
The originals were made from 5/8" ply (16mm) if you wanted to try and make it more authentic.

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

WOKA
22nd October 2008, 06:41 PM
I had a spare day while I am in OZ so building that SI cab would have been cool. Now I will drink beer instead which is also cool.

Cool?

Come drink beer in Brisbane.. We'll show you how its done..!

Fish Tales
22nd October 2008, 06:42 PM
Spacies will be back, and has offered to do this on another visit. I can wait for my SI cab, I will never not want one.

MetalSkin
22nd October 2008, 07:58 PM
It is something I have given thought too for about a year and I will investigate while I am over there.

I will discuss this with the mob I am going to visit while I am there and see if anything comes out of it.

Brissy is so much nicer to live in than any other city on the east coast!!!! :) Sydney is too busy (and exy), Melbourne is too cold (kinda like Tauranga or maybe Rotorua), Brissy is nice and warm and very relaxed!!!!

I'm happy for him to drop by and show us how it is done ;) But I would rather build a replica Gauntlet cab personally ;)

Fish Tales
22nd October 2008, 08:03 PM
newcastle has it all, and costs much less to live here

Viper
22nd October 2008, 08:16 PM
newcastle has it all, and costs much less to live here

Yeah but you need to wait for someone to die before you can get a job there!

Fish Tales
22nd October 2008, 08:19 PM

yep!

WOKA
22nd October 2008, 08:27 PM

Or an earth quake..

:tomato

Fish Tales
22nd October 2008, 08:33 PM
Or an earth quake..

:tomato

I was in that earthquake, 1k from where the most damage and the 8odd people died. Was the most scared I have ever been, was at work and the cement floor started moving live waves at the beach, was freaky! Then there was an explosion at the tafe next door (gas line rupture). Rushed home to check if everyone was ok, they were luckily.

Viper
22nd October 2008, 09:09 PM
I was in that earthquake, 1k from where the most damage and the 8odd people died. Was the most scared I have ever been, was at work and the cement floor started moving live waves at the beach, was freaky! Then there was an explosion at the tafe next door (gas line rupture). Rushed home to check if everyone was ok, they were luckily.

The weekend before the quake I was at a bucks party at the workers club, couldn't believe a week later it was gone.

The in-laws house at Belmont still has cracks in the walls.

I was lying in bed at home on the central coast when the quake hit and I felt it all the way down there. Thought someone was standing at the end of my bed shaking the shit out of it.

spacies
23rd October 2008, 06:32 AM
The originals were made from 5/8" ply (16mm) if you wanted to try and make it more authentic.

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

John, do you know of any place that sells the orange and black t-molding?
I would love to get my hands on some. Thanks.

Thats a scary offer. LOL.
My next trip will be to Brisbane so will keep in touch.

Spacies will be back, and has offered to do this on another visit. I can wait for my SI cab, I will never not want one.

We will get there.

Brissy is so much nicer to live in than any other city on the east coast!!!! :) Sydney is too busy (and exy), Melbourne is too cold (kinda like Tauranga or maybe Rotorua), Brissy is nice and warm and very relaxed!!!!

Never been there and I look forward to visiting soon. I am pretty sure I will fit in well with the thousands of Kiwis. Warm sounds good to me.

I'm happy for him to drop by and show us how it is done ;) But I would rather build a replica Gauntlet cab personally ;)

Today, 23 October 2008 is a great day. Gauntlet!!!!!!!

Johns-Arcade
23rd October 2008, 07:09 AM
I would love to get my hands on some.

Unfortunately not spacies. I did go looking for it when I restored my Space Invaders 6+ years ago, but no one had it or could help.

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

horseyboy69
23rd October 2008, 08:46 AM
I would love to get my hands on some. Thanks.

Thats a scary offer. LOL.
My next trip will be to Brisbane so will keep in touch.

We will get there.

Never been there and I look forward to visiting soon. I am pretty sure I will fit in well with the thousands of Kiwis. Warm sounds good to me.

Today, 23 October 2008 is a great day. Gauntlet!!!!!!!

I got orange t-mold from Gamedude.

Brad
23rd October 2008, 09:00 AM
I know I went to the quake relief concert a few weeks later. That was held near Belconnon from memory. Good times! Took the train up from sydney....damn were there some people there!

Brad

spacies
23rd October 2008, 09:09 AM
I got orange t-mold from Gamedude.

Thanks, but its not solid orange. It is black with 2 thin orange ridges running through it:

http://static.brandnews.at/flipper/images/space%20invaders%20videogame.jpg

Brad
23rd October 2008, 09:14 AM
I've seen identical stuff in black and yellow from safety equipment suppliers. Maybe they have different colours?

http://www.seton.net.au/

Brad