PDA

View Full Version : Turning off the 1XXX in 1.

MikeXPose
30th May 2008, 09:20 PM
Does anyboard know if there is a shutdown procedure for the 1066 in 1 (games family) board or is it just a case of cutting the power?

TheAvatar
30th May 2008, 11:14 PM
Make sure the unit is powered off while in the menu and not while in a game !

MikeXPose
30th May 2008, 11:40 PM
Cool, that's what I've been doing. It still feels wrong though as windows 2000 is still running in the background. I just have a horrible feeling that it's not going to boot one day.

TheAvatar
31st May 2008, 12:25 AM
good chance it wont one day...

just keep a backup of the drive handy and don't worrie about it.

image the drive with ghost !

Savage
31st May 2008, 07:35 AM
I've always shut mine of in the game, can't see any difference to shutting it of in a game or in the menu.
The games is loaded into ram so no real writing to the HDD is going on

singapura
11th June 2008, 12:24 PM
I've always shut mine of in the game, can't see any difference to shutting it of in a game or in the menu.
The games is loaded into ram so no real writing to the HDD is going on

Actually, there you have it. It's not good shutting windows down with the on/off switch because of the virtual swap file. If the system isn't allowed to delete the swap file and write all system variables to it, you may run into troubles next time you boot up. As far as I can see, the system in a multi board doesn't have to use a swap file when running the emu, since it's doing nothing else but loading a rom image into ram and running the emulator in the background. You may need to defragment your drive after a while but I can't see yet how that should be done.

Davefjedi
11th June 2008, 01:24 PM
@echo off
xcopy /y bak\*.* game\ /s
deltree /y c:\found.*
deltree /y c:\found.*
deltree /y c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\DrWatson\*.*

the red box cleans up when starting up the above is one of the batch files it runs on bootup

MetalSkin
11th June 2008, 01:30 PM
As far as I'm aware the only issue with an abnormal termination with windows is if the system registry is being written at the time of the power off. This gives you that dreaded error when you boot windows when it says that the system registry is corrupted.

Not knowing these boards, but being familiar with embedded w2K systems, I would have thought that you would not have a problem. I presume that the emulator is not writing to the system registry while your running the program, and I also presume that while in the menu it isn't writing to the system registry.

Other points of failure is the corruption of File Allocation Table and/or problems with the permanent storage device. I don't know if these systems use flash or a HD, but either way they will over time degrade (normally flash before HD). When this happens and windows try's to read a required device driver, then boot will fail. But this shouldn't happen from an abnormal power down.

The only other issue from power down was with the older ones where a power off could cause power surges through the various internal components, sometimes corrupting the HD. I'm not a sparky or a tech but I believe this was caused by the old PSU's that were used and it's not really a problem with modern PSU's. Again, I'm not a sparky so I could be wrong, it still could be a problem and I may have the problem described incorrectly.

Either way, it's very important to get an image of your device, because it's 100% certainty that some point in the future the storage device will fail. It's just a question of when (could be five years from now when you've already chucked it).

MaNiAc-Uk
19th June 2008, 10:12 AM
there is a powerdown switch on the top board just written a guide on my site to add it to you cab.

heres the link you will need to be a member on our forums but its a quick fix as i was sure that pulling the plug could potentaly fook up your machine.

some retailers have been supplying extra button to do this just i have just put together this quick guide to adding one.

makes updates easyer too allows me to power down the board work on the hard drive and i just press it again to reboot means i dont need to power down the cab each time i want to edit on my machine.

Adding a Shut down Switch to the system. (http://www.xxxx-in-1.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=61)