PDA

View Full Version : jukebox program question

opm881
30th May 2008, 05:55 PM
Ok, so within a week i will have an arcade cab, probably this weekend depending. What i want to know is what sort of jukebox program could i use that would not require the songs to be on it, but rather access all the songs via a shared folder over the internal network meaning i would just have to share my itunes folder. Now the only problem i can think with this is the file format that the itunes music is in, specifically the protected stuff. I have a few protected songs that are on my itunes because i was given itunes cards, so any ideas what jukebox program i could use?

soup
5th August 2008, 03:20 PM
Heya, did you ever end up sourcing a solution to your Question?

I am looking at building a Media Centre PC to distribute pictures/music/movies. I have *heard* that wireless works for streaming music, so I am hoping to dump my entire music collection from the JukeBox into the media PC and source from there.

Brad
5th August 2008, 03:27 PM
Most of the jukebox programs out there support mapped or share paths to data. The possible killer will be iTunes stuff. IF the music is non-protected and correctly tagged then in theory it'll work. The protected stuff you should put into a container and BURN IN HELL :evil.....oh and throw iTunes in with it ;)

The real issue for you will be the control interface. given that your using an arcade cab and not a dedicated Jukebox, your control options will be key. Arcade Jukebox or possible Gameex might be your answer there.

brad

AdamC
5th August 2008, 03:43 PM
Dont forget SKJukebox ... you can remap the buttons in it too.

Yeah , its gonna be fun controlling it using arcade controls.

Davefjedi
5th August 2008, 04:03 PM
Win cab is great for arcade cab controls

Brad
5th August 2008, 04:58 PM
Dont forget SKJukebox ... you can remap the buttons in it too.

Yeah , its gonna be fun controlling it using arcade controls.

Yes thats my point. I love skjukebox but it's really only worthwhile in a dedicated cab. using all that functionlaity with arcade controls would do it a disservice

I reckon this is the best for an arcade cab in singles mode only:

http://www.arcadejukebox.net/

Brad

biggeorge
5th August 2008, 07:39 PM
Definately ditch iTunes.

Use winamp to do your ripping and arcade jukebox to play the songs on your machine.
If it must be networked then just map the network drive. Hard drives are so cheap these days it's hardly worth it. Just make a second copy of everything.

Can't go wrong with that I reckon.

Capp
16th September 2008, 12:26 AM
I have been using SKjukebox for some time and have finally got around to building a dedicated cabinet for it.

will post some pics of it once i get it back from the airbrush guy.

Mr Pubstuff
17th September 2008, 09:49 PM
i went and grabbed every juke program i could find and skjukebox come in so far ahead in my opinion, it has made me reconsider buying a proper stand alone jukebox.
the next thought then is what will i put it in, but thats wayyyyy down the track at present, as im gonna have to figure what amps and heavy duty sound gear to put in it which may dictate what sort of cabinet it will go in (i have a really neat highly polished full size timber barrel with chrome hoops on it, but i was thinking that may make a neat tabletop mame games unit).
i can get some neon custom made to suit a custom cab, as well as use my vinyl cutter for some neat graphics or similar, but im so looking forward to what you other guys have or have seen for ideas. :)

WOKA
17th September 2008, 10:37 PM
I started playing with SK Jukebox and a touch screen tonight.. Very impressed so far..!

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc267/woka-woka-woka/controller/Jukebox/DryrunStage1.jpg

Brad
18th September 2008, 08:31 AM
I'm yet to hook my touchscreen up to my jukebox for testing. My only real issue is that the touchscreen is 15" only and I really wanted a 19" I have a new 19" 4:3 LCD monitor but the overlays area a ripp off =(

How does it go on that 15" monitor Woka?

brad

WOKA
18th September 2008, 10:54 AM
Sure, a larger screen would be nicer, but for $0.00 the 15" touch will work really well.

In the bottom right corner of the screen you can make out the control buttons, they are big enough for my 'stoopid fingers'..

Brad
18th September 2008, 12:09 PM
Yes but what about track selection? Normally you would touch the track listing itself. you can enlarge the font but again I haven't tried any of this. I suppose I should get my lazy butt into gear but works killing me at the moment and I just don't want to touch anything computer related at home LOL!

Brad

MetalSkin
18th September 2008, 01:08 PM
I started playing with SK Jukebox and a touch screen tonight.. Very impressed so far..!

Is that the software that was in the jukebox at your place last weekend? If so that sounds good, I was curious how it'd go with a touch screen! My concern was the song selection cause the font seemed pretty small and wasn't sure if the size was adjustable.

:edit:

damn, did that whole read last unread and didn't realise there was a second page! based on the next posts I would guess that it is in fact the same software. However I am still curious (as is brad) about the song selection on the touch screen. :)

Brad
18th September 2008, 01:27 PM
I'll try it out when I get home. I mean I love SK JUkebox and it runs sweet with a custom control panel but give me Touch screen goodness. Salmonking did enable it for touchscreens though. He made several feature friendly options.

Brad

WOKA
18th September 2008, 02:38 PM
When you touch one of the 4 albums displayed it promotes to that one album on the screen, as such the text for the individual tracks becomes larger makein easier for 'stoopid fingers' to select the song.

Brad
18th September 2008, 02:46 PM
Thats exactly how it operates when not in touch-screen mode though. I'm going to give my gorilla hands a go when I get home. I'll let you know how it goes :)

brad

MetalSkin
18th September 2008, 09:35 PM
looking forward to the results, cause I loved the software you were using :)

Brad
21st September 2008, 09:24 AM
Okay finally had some time to dick around with the touchscreen. I have to say I DO prefer it over the customer control setup I made on my juke but my fears about tracks selection are real. You have to be REALLY careful about selecting the right track and you lose all hope after a few beers ;)

I adjusted the font size to make it bigger but on a 15" monitor it stretches the the album squares too far. I'm thinking of buying a touchscreen overlay to go over a 19" LCD I have instead.

I've uploaded a video.....first time for me ;)

Btw.......the hard drive holding my home copy of the music database died whilst testing this :rolleyes

http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq105/ecbrad/th_touchscreen.jpg

Brad

AdamC
21st September 2008, 09:34 AM
If only you didnt have gorilla fingers, Brad. :badgrin

I installed version 4 into the juke the other day , to test out the music vid feature. It worked on most vids, (some didnt work - suspect the codecs.) , but then lost focus when it started a new vid clip in the playlist.

Ohh well .. back to good 'ol version 3.

Brad
21st September 2008, 09:39 AM
LOL yes it was my fear. Don't get me wrong, the software handles it really well and the touchscreen is top notch it's just the font size vs screen ratio means that even centering your finger over the text in reality can touch 3 tracks at once. On a larger screen I reckon it would be okay.

Salmon King had a LOT of issues adding video support to skjukebox. There were a number of unresolved bugs in version 4 and the update to 4.1 In fact it caused more issues than it was worth and a lot a people just reverted back to version 3. It's was I use and no problems. I suspect its one of the factors on why he stopped developing it.

Brad

egosbar
7th July 2010, 12:55 PM
Yes thats my point. I love skjukebox but it's really only worthwhile in a dedicated cab. using all that functionlaity with arcade controls would do it a disservice

I reckon this is the best for an arcade cab in singles mode only:

http://www.arcadejukebox.net/

Brad

arcade jukebox doesnt support vertical display which im after , so im after the best singles jukebox player that supports touch and vertical also arcade buttons
i like the idea of punching in d11 for example

can someone tell me what they think would suit please

egosbar
8th July 2010, 04:45 AM
can you start skjukebox straight up so that the computer doesnt look like a windows based computer?

rod71
8th July 2010, 10:02 AM
can you start skjukebox straight up so that the computer doesnt look like a windows based computer?

Haven't looked into this totally. Might do a little searching on this site because I have a feeling it has been mentioned before.

Cant see any reason why you cant modify most things. Dunno about the bios screen. On mine you can switch it between an IBM splash screen or all the pre booting info.

Brad
8th July 2010, 10:05 AM
Whack a shortcut to your jukebox program into your startup folder. You can turn BIOS displays off and if careful replace the windows splash screen too.

Brad

retrogamer
8th July 2010, 12:42 PM
There is always the "instantsheller" program...I have used it on all my mame rigs and 1 juke so far....great little program.

Its originally for the Gameex frontend but its worked with every app i have thrown at it so far.

http://www.gameex.net/Community/InstantShellerandshellingguide.aspx