PDA

View Full Version : I may have a huge problem, please help!

MikeXPose
29th May 2008, 07:11 PM
Hi all, I bought a 1066 in 1 board and a Killer Instinct cabinet for my spare room. I installed everything correctly (as far as I can tell) but when I powered the cabinet up for the first time something went very wrong. The ATX power supply kicked in but then the screen started to flicker and there was a high pitch sound and after a few seconds there was a loud pop from inside the cabinet. I noted afterwards that one of the cables that was supposed to be plugged into the ATX power block plug extention on the board has come loose and wasn't connected at all ( http://www.b3tards.com/u/b2fa705410671e21b448/atx.jpg ). Have I ruined my gameboard or cabinet or do you think it's just the PSU?
Thanks people.

Arcade King
29th May 2008, 07:28 PM
Loud pops are never good, is your monitor still working?

felixthadog
29th May 2008, 07:36 PM
I had the same problem in my MAME cab, it turned out to be a problem with the monitor chassis. I am non-technical so I had it looked at & repaired by a qualified arcade tech. I just remember hearing a popping sound, which was the fuse on the chassis blowing.

Matthew

MikeXPose
29th May 2008, 11:45 PM
The monitor is working. I have tried a new ATX power supply but I'm still not having any luck. The PSU, gameboard and cabinet does power up but the screen flickers and makes the same sound as it did just before I heard the pop so I don't want to leave it on.

I can power the cabinet up by itself and it seems to work fine. As soon as I connect the board to the jamma slot, the monitor goes ape and makes a crackling sound. One thing that strikes me as strange is that the ATX power supply turns itself on as soon as the mains is connect. It doesn't wait for the cabinet to power up.

**UPDATE**
I can power the gameboard up without it being connected to the cabinet and that sounds like it's working ok (I hope). I can here the HDD chugging away so that's a good sign. As I said before I only have problems when I connect it to the jamma slot.
I really need somebody to save my arse here!

Thanks everyone.

TheAvatar
30th May 2008, 02:43 AM
have you hooked a volt meter to the jamma harness to see if voltages are ok with the jamma PSU ?

pocketmoney
30th May 2008, 05:01 AM
Has the cabinet been tested with say another jamma PCB. If the cabinet has not been tested by YOU before you installed the 1000 in one it may have had a fault from the previous owner. I know you did mention the monitor "worked" without the 1000 in 1 connected but you did not include any other info, my apologies if you did test with another PCB.

Fault finding is all about narrowing your choices in what else can be wrong, along with some intuition and sometimes alot of good luck.

Cheers
Paul.

spacies
30th May 2008, 08:07 AM
Pops are bad.
Try a standard game board and see if you get a picture.

Last time I heard a pop was a capacitor blowing its top off. Funny stuff.

WOKA
30th May 2008, 08:14 AM
How are you able to determine that the monitor is still ok..?

Turn on the machine without the box connected and look at the neck tube of the monitor. If there is a glow then the monitor / chassis should be fine.. If there is no glow then the chances are that the monitor chassis has popped.

MikeXPose
30th May 2008, 09:15 PM
Good news everyone. It turned out to be the ATX power supply that was damaged. The gameboard and cabinet are both working fine now. WOOO! Oh well there goes my weekend! Now all I have to do is work out how to hook the kick harness up.

Thanks very much people, this place seems to have a great community.

felixthadog
30th May 2008, 09:21 PM
this place seems to have a great community.

Seems? :o

Matthew

opm881
30th May 2008, 11:45 PM
i would say DOES, better then tumble weeds XD