PDA

View Full Version : My new Cab - Interstellar Sit Down circa 1983

MetalSkin
27th May 2008, 10:27 AM
Well those who were following a post in the trading area will realise that last night I went to pick up a Interstellar Sit Down Cab.

Cab was worse for wear than I was given the impression, however well worth the money I think. Boards were loose inside, whoever had it before the guy I brought it from ripped out the monitor, chassis, laser disk and laser disk player, also a few other things, just not sure what. They left the insides in a bit of a mess, looks like they pried off the coin door to get to the coin box, buggered if I know why. Still have what looks like the original coin mech, but not 100% certain.

My partner freaked when she saw how big it was, but I managed to squeeze it into my garage!

Fortunately it breaks in two pieces and has rollers in strategic positions. No way is a single person job.

I was called a geek and not allowed to take my camera when I went to pick it up (yes, thats a big thumb print on my forehead!), so I cannot show how it looks when split in half, however I took some pics once in my garage, and I havn't put it totally back together, so shoul d be obvious. Well here's the pics:

Rear/Side view:
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1443/11017197/19758188/318878040.jpg

Close up of rear window, not too bad nick, flash makes it look bad, but no scratches and seems in good condition:
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1443/11017197/19758188/318878443.jpg

Front/Side view. Panels are removed off the front, I have two, but missing one.
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1443/11017197/19758188/318878042.jpg

Inside front CP and monitor:
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1443/11017197/19758188/318878043.jpg

Inside front below CP:
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1443/11017197/19758188/318878439.jpg

Inside rear seat and window:
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1443/11017197/19758188/318878047.jpg

Inside rear up high, showing the speakers:
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1443/11017197/19758188/318878045.jpg

Inside front of cab, top section:
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1443/11017197/19758188/318878435.jpg

Inside front of cab, bottom section:
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1443/11017197/19758188/318878433.jpg

Amazingly no tears or ciggy burns on seat.

Still trying to figure out what to do with the cab. I cannot restore it to the orig game, as I reckon the laser disk would be a pain to source and then there is the issue of the disk player. I'm thinking either mame it, or maybe put in a jama harness and maybe something along those lines.

Personally I've always been a big fan of flying games, so maybe I should make it jamma and put in an orig board that uses a flight stick.

I will most prob have to strip it back and redo the artwork, may keep the windows, they seem in incredible nick! So maybe I should restore to the original art work.

The cab is solid, no water damage. some damage due to shipping which needs to be repaired, but nothing too major. If people are interested I can pic all the damage so its clear. more pissed off at whoever ripped out some of the components, no respect was given to the cab.

Original speakers still in it, that's two at the top rear, two either side below the CP and a sub woofer under the seat (hard access, have to turn the back part of the cab upside down to get to it :(). CP seems all orig, including the yoke and the buttons.

Oh, btw, the bottom portion of the front of the cab has rails with a tray on it so you can slide it out, quite nice :D

Suggestions as to what to do are welcome.

Virgil Tracy
27th May 2008, 10:32 AM
Check the monitor size if it is around 21 inch use a PC and monitor and run Daphne

Crafty
27th May 2008, 10:36 AM
Very Nice..

That thumb print on your forehead cant be too bad you still got it. Well done..:D

MetalSkin
27th May 2008, 10:38 AM
Check the monitor size if it is around 21 inch use a PC and monitor and run Daphne

Apparently it was a 19" but looking at the inside, I don't see a reason why I couldn't fit a larger monitor in. All depends how original I wish to keep the cabinet, no chance of ever using it for what it was originally used so maybe making the screen bigger wouldn't be a baddie.

Had to google to find out what Daphne is :D didn't realise they had emulators for laser disks, nice.

However as it's still got the power supply and so forth it would be nice to keep it as a non pc based cab. I'm in the middle of my cocktail cab build which will be mame.

The only laser disk game I was ever aware of was Dragon's Lair, was there any half decent ones that were flying focused (other than Interstellar that is)?

David_AVD
27th May 2008, 10:41 AM
Well done James. Put some pics in the gallery as you do it up.

opm881
27th May 2008, 12:08 PM
looks good, i definatly wouldnt have been able to store it here so im glad you got a good deal out of it. Looks in preety good nick, but yea, it looks a little worse then how he described it. When he described it to me he said there were just a few chips come out near the bottom from travel. Either way, great catch ;D keep it as a jamma and install some flying pcb

AskJacob
27th May 2008, 12:18 PM
That is a pretty damn nice cab.

I second jammafying it and sourcing a nice flying board

I also think that there is plenty of room to tuck away a PC running Daphne, just make sure you use a j-pac to avoid a bit of the purist wrath :p

BettyCrocker1942
27th May 2008, 12:44 PM
Throw in a PC running Chuck Yeager's Air Combat!

http://free-game-downloads.mosw.com/ss/6179_0.png

The graphics are intense! :badgrin

opm881
27th May 2008, 04:09 PM
did he have any other cabs that he is going to end up selling? or was it only that one and the marquee?

MetalSkin
27th May 2008, 06:26 PM
did he have any other cabs that he is going to end up selling? or was it only that one and the marquee?

no sorry mate, was only that and the marquees. Though strangely there is someone in Ormeau selling a tonne of stuff on ebay, wonder if its anyone here.

Johns-Arcade
27th May 2008, 06:50 PM
I may be able to source some parts for you if you wanted to try and convert it back to interstellar? The laser player it used was a Pioneer LVD1000 (or LVD1001) which is common, but unreliable. Best bet would be to use a LaserAce with a better quality player (Pioneer LVD-6000 or 8000). You could also run Cobra Command and Esh's Aurunmilla via a conversion if so desired. If you did go this way, install an NTSC TV over a monitor, as you would also need an NTSC converter card for the laser player if using a standard monitor.

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

MetalSkin
27th May 2008, 07:09 PM
I may be able to source some parts for you if you wanted to try and convert it back to interstellar? The laser player it used was a Pioneer LVD1000 (or LVD1001) which is common, but unreliable. Best bet would be to use a LaserAce with a better quality player (Pioneer LVD-6000 or 8000). You could also run Cobra Command and Esh's Aurunmilla via a conversion if so desired. If you did go this way, install an NTSC TV over a monitor, as you would also need an NTSC converter card for the laser player if using a standard monitor.

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

Thanks for the heads up on that. I'm still tossing up what to do with it. I most prob wont start work on it that will require purchasing stuff for a little bit, my partner is still in shock over it! I was looking at that box of bits on ebay for $5 and she said NO! :lol

WOKA
27th May 2008, 07:19 PM
Someone here could buy it for you and take it to the next meet ;)

MetalSkin
27th May 2008, 07:27 PM
Someone here could buy it for you and take it to the next meet ;)

Now that would be mightily nice of someone if someone did that for me :D

narf_
27th May 2008, 08:30 PM
nice cab

so would you get in trouble if you traded cash for the parts? try that trick

hmm a pc with the last starfighter running would be sweet option

opm881
27th May 2008, 08:41 PM
if you swap it back to laserdisc, that will be awesome

spacies
27th May 2008, 08:43 PM
if you swap it back to laserdisc, that will be awesome

I agree and believe thats what needs to be done with a rare cab like that.
If you don't, please keep it as original as possible and don't paint it!

opm881
27th May 2008, 08:47 PM
rare seems to be an understatement. I wasnt able to find a picture of that one at all, only the upright, so yea, turn it back to its original form, might be costy but is bloody awesome. One of my lecturers has a stack of old laser discs and a reader, they are awesome things. My uni has a couple of laserdiscs aswell.

spacies
27th May 2008, 08:48 PM
True, maybe the OP could do a deal with a collector if he has plans to cut it up?

Johns-Arcade
27th May 2008, 09:05 PM
rare seems to be an understatement. I wasnt able to find a picture of that one at all, only the upright, so yea, turn it back to its original form, might be costy but is bloody awesome. One of my lecturers has a stack of old laser discs and a reader, they are awesome things. My uni has a couple of laserdiscs aswell.

I don't know if I should admit this, but I helped a mate of mine scrap one of these only a few years ago. He tried to sell it, but on one was interested. In the end he tried to give it away, but again no one wanted it. Finally, off to the tip it went.

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

opm881
27th May 2008, 09:08 PM
.......................... i dont know wether to shoot him or what XD well any way, as far as i see it, its a preety rare cab, any laserdisc cab that is actually a laserdisc would be. Those things were expensive when they were released, and costed a bucket to maintain

MetalSkin
27th May 2008, 10:02 PM
True, maybe the OP could do a deal with a collector if he has plans to cut it up?

I don't wish to cut it up. My only problem is sourcing the required components so that I can use it as a laser disk based cab.

I suspect the PCB in it is not working, it's been treated pretty badly. However I could be wrong.

The cab itself is beautiful. I would wish to restore it to orig, just not sure how to. Some of the surface is damaged, and it seems to have a plasticy surface, its not painted, most prob some form of vinyl.

The bezel and rear window are in almost perfect condition.

The CP and moulds are in very good condition.

Seat is perfect, though a very dated style, looks like something from my old Datsun 1600 (1973 model).

Speakers look all okay.

Part of me wants to update the seat, update the joystick, repair the cab and put some form of fighter game, either space or air combat.

Another part of me wishes to restore it to the original laser disk and so forth.

Just dont know what to do. either way, if I decide it's too much for me, I will offer it up to any collector who would be interested for a swap or similar. I wouldn't rip you off in the slightest, just something that would be fair.

For now however I'll go out and sit in my garage and dream of it being fully restored!

btw, to keep my partner happy, how much would one of these be worth fully restored? I wouldn't wish to sell it, but if I tell her how much it's worth restored she will most prob free up the purse strings to let me buy some gear.

opm881
27th May 2008, 10:14 PM
my guess, seeing as ive seen racing cabs with no pcbs, and busted monitors, go for like..... $300+, and the fact that laserdisc produce amazing graphics and amazing game play, the fact that until this one i had only seen an upright version, as many other ppl on here said the same, and the fact it would be in bloody good gear, id expect probably $1000+ atleast

MetalSkin
27th May 2008, 10:19 PM
my guess, seeing as ive seen racing cabs with no pcbs, and busted monitors, go for like..... $300+, and the fact that laserdisc produce amazing graphics and amazing game play, the fact that until this one i had only seen an upright version, as many other ppl on here said the same, and the fact it would be in bloody good gear, id expect probably $1000+ atleast

Possibly, however Intersteller wasn't a popular laser disk game, was in fact pretty much a failure from what I have read. Now M.A.C.H. 3 would be a different story. But it is an Intersteller... hmm...

opm881
27th May 2008, 10:22 PM
so? laser discs were ahead of their time when they were first made, and cost $1-2 bucks(according to my lecturer, big gamer and laser disc guy) as opposed to 20c for the other games. Just because it wasnt a very popular game doesnt mean anything. Laser disc cabs were expensive to maintain. The fact it had not only an upright but a fully enclosed makes me think it would still be worth a bit to the right person

Johns-Arcade
27th May 2008, 10:43 PM

I highly doubt you would get $1000 for it myself. As I stated in my previous post, my mate couldn't give his away. The game wasn't very popular and as you have stated elsewhere, expensive to maintain. The LVD1000's were notoriously unreliable even back when they were new. I wouldn't even consider using a Pioneer LVD1000 these days, but a more reliable player. That also means buying a LaserAce which are also hard to find and expensive. Just because it's rare doesn't make it worth a lot of money.

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

opm881
27th May 2008, 11:01 PM
good point, i was thinking worth more simply cause of the costs to fix it up, wasnt 100% sure on the costs but from what i heard the readers are bloody expensive as all hell. If i had it, would probably get a mame set up going for flying games, and possibly change the seat, simply cause well....... its cool and sumfin from the past, but looks preety far away. Hell, you could always chuck a really big screen in there and make it a combo flying/shooting cab!

MadMikeAU
28th May 2008, 01:41 AM
Thats it. New underpants required. I hope you guys are happy. If only it was a MACH3 !!!

But Interstellar had those cool twisty joysticks.

spacies
28th May 2008, 06:55 AM
Daphne it and run all LD games that can be played on it.
Cobra Command, MACH 3 would rock in that thing.

MetalSkin
28th May 2008, 07:52 AM
But Interstellar had those cool twisty joysticks.

Not sure what you mean? :unsure The joystick seems like a normal stick with a button for the trigger finger.

Daphne it and run all LD games that can be played on it.
Cobra Command, MACH 3 would rock in that thing.

Yeah, me is thinking Daphne is the way to go.

In all honesty its a beautiful cab. I reckon the design is un****enbeleivable! It takes me back to 80's sci fi! I really want to restore the artwork externally. The inside is the question mark, whether to leave it true to the orig or upgrade the seat. Either way I may have to replace the rear speaker covers, a bit rusty on the grill, and they do look like the face plate from an 80's boom box!

In fact I could leave the interior intact, its so close to orig. Maybe make the screen bigger, but even the bezel looks brilliant!

Btw, what's the deal with Daphne, I presume the roms are ligit as they auto download from the site?

maxpower
28th May 2008, 08:43 AM
Nice cab!! Do the Daphne thing. Would be the best. And maybe give the missus a shag in the cab she might like it then!!:lol

Joke

MetalSkin
28th May 2008, 09:08 AM
Yeah, thinking the Daphne thing is the way to go. Been looking into it and seems that I have to by a DVD of the game and it verifies that I own it before it downloads the required files.

DVD's of Dragons Lair are going for a reasonable amount, but only supports:

Dragon's Lair
Dragon's Lair II: Timewarp
Space Ace
Thayer's Quest

No support for M.A.C.H. 3, but better than nothing. MACH 3 only has limited mame support... hmmm

spacies
28th May 2008, 09:12 AM
I have all the Daphne images but I am sure someone closer can help you out.
There was a new member who joined a while back said he had all them as well.

maxpower
28th May 2008, 09:22 AM
What I dont get with Daphne is how to back it up. I copied the whole Daphne folder from c drive to my d drive and changed a couple of settings and most of it works but Galaxy Ranger & Star blaster seem to be the same game.

Berty
28th May 2008, 09:22 AM
That is awesome mate! I have only recently became a fan of the old laser disc stuff so i cant wait to see what you do with it.

MadMikeAU
28th May 2008, 09:29 AM
Not sure what you mean? :unsure The joystick seems like a normal stick with a button for the trigger finger.

By memory (which is surprisingly clear for these laser games), the joystick moved like a normal 8 way stick, BUT it also twisted about 30 degrees in both directions so you could shoot at an angle. At least the upright version did.

The trigger joystick control moved in a left and right direction as well as a right and left twist movement (flap control).

MetalSkin
28th May 2008, 12:04 PM
By memory (which is surprisingly clear for these laser games), the joystick moved like a normal 8 way stick, BUT it also twisted about 30 degrees in both directions so you could shoot at an angle. At least the upright version did.

Hmm had a gander and it doesn't seem to do that. just the normal 8 way stick.

Actually looking at the stick it's been banged up a little bit. It looks like it will work, but there are some serious scratches on the surface of the plastic grip...

Found this loose thing which looks like a coin mech made in australia, half plastic half pcb, very weird. gonna take a pic and post to see if anyone knows about it.