PDA

View Full Version : AK's thoughts on the 48 in 1

Arcade King
18th May 2008, 04:22 PM
We'll I finally went against all my principles and bought one of these things (only because it was dirt cheap from GameDude mind you).

So far I'm pretty impressed, having experienced most of these games first hand on the real hardware.
The graphics and colours are pretty spot on but the sound is another story so here's my rating based on sound.

****ing Horrible
Bad
Average
Good
Excellent

Heres a few games I've played so far and how I'd rate them.
BombJack - Average: Sound is ok once you get paste the intro music.
Galaxians - ****ing Horrible!: Man this game shouldnt even be put on in its current state, the sound is so bad it makes your ears bleed. I noticed the fire sound is missing which is present in Space Invaders :unsure.
Galaga - Good: Good faithful reproduction of the Galaga sound efects. I have to wonder if they use samples in the 48 in 1.
Dig Dug - Average: One of my favorite games of all time, sound is a bit off key but ok.
Gyruss - ****ing Horrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!: Don't even bother with this game, get the original hardware.
All Pacman games - Good: was really happy with the sound.
Frogger - Excellent: Sounded spot on.
Donkey Kong, DKJR: Excellent!: I was really surprised at how good the sound was for the Donkey Kong games which is why I wonder if some games use samples.
1942,1943 - Average: Not as bad as I was expecting..but not that great either.
Zaxxon: Good
New Rally X - Good
Space Invaders - Good
Mr Do! - Excellent! : Another pleasant surprise.
QIX - Excellent!: Really good sound.
Juno First - ****ing Horrible! OMG! sound ruins the game on this! disable it and save your ears.
Mappy - Good!
Millipede - Bad! but bearable
Time Pilot - Bad! Bad! Bad!
Pengo - Bad to Average: Some notes are off key enough to piss me off.
Galaga 3(Gaplus): Good.

Pretty much all I've looked at so far.
I thought there was some connection between games for example a lot of games using the AY-3-8910 sound chip were crap but some games like Frogger sounded good so who knows.
I noticed when you put it into test mode it looks like its testing some sort of file system..hrm
Another thing I dislike is they are all bootleg versions of the games IE: all the company copyright and logos are removed which makes some games look gay.

Over all the kids love it and I don't mind it either, not bad for the money and ideal for a cocktail but don't bother with some games, disable them!

narf_
18th May 2008, 04:48 PM
i keep my sound on low so not really bother me.

cant believe how the prices are now dropping on these boards. feel sorry for the people that forked out around the 600 mark in the old days

dracer
18th May 2008, 05:07 PM
there cheap because the user has been bled for a shit product, i wouldnt stock em.

bwodie
18th May 2008, 05:18 PM
yah these are like $40 from HK now

rod71
18th May 2008, 05:24 PM
I'm a pinball guy, but am thinking of getting a cocktail table sometime down the track.

The thing that puts me off is the main games i'm interested in have the shit sound. Moon Cresta, Time Pilot, Gyruss etc.

Perhaps a new and improved board is on the cards?. Could explain the price

Arcade King
18th May 2008, 05:33 PM
No way shape or form was I going to pay top dollar for one of these. Like I said there are some good games in there like frogger and DK series that are exceptional.

DonkyKong
18th May 2008, 05:34 PM
seems the 60 in 1's are becoming the new flavour but i dont really understand why.
Maybe they are improved?

DK

narf_
18th May 2008, 05:36 PM
i bought a second hand 39 that is enough for me. isnt the 60 mainly extra hacks to bump up the game ratio :unsure

Viper
18th May 2008, 05:42 PM
I heard the 60in1 has better sound. Would be interested to find out.

DonkyKong
18th May 2008, 05:45 PM
i bought a second hand 39 that is enough for me. isnt the 60 mainly extra hacks to bump up the game ratio :unsure

Yeah thats why i think 48 is plenty, Unless your after one specific new game.

dmworking247
18th May 2008, 06:51 PM
Thanks for doing this AK. All of the talk about the sound on these 48-in-1 is the sole reason I haven't bought one. I'm really suprised there hasn't been a fix yet (rather than dropping the price - fix the sound bugs!)

When you say disable the shit ones, is that possible to remove them from the menu, as if the user didn't know they existed?

Davefjedi
18th May 2008, 06:59 PM
Thanks for doing this AK. All of the talk about the sound on these 48-in-1 is the sole reason I haven't bought one. I'm really suprised there hasn't been a fix yet (rather than dropping the price - fix the sound bugs!)

When you say disable the shit ones, is that possible to remove them from the menu, as if the user didn't know they existed?

yes you can remove them from the menu

spacies
18th May 2008, 07:01 PM
I have painfully experienced every game 1st hand many times myself.

Apart from a handful of games, these things are pretty bad.
Don't buy one unless your fav works OK.

Arcade King
18th May 2008, 07:10 PM

Yeah like I said I bought it cheap so I'm not worried.

Please don't forget there are some really good gems amongst them like DK, DKJ DK3, Mr DO, QIX, Pacman(s), new rally X and Galaga are really good too.

So as long as you get it CHEAP your laughing and like I said its perfect for a cocktail, in fact my hankin hasnt been used this much is years.

dmworking247
18th May 2008, 07:15 PM
Yeah, since you can disable unwanted games it a cheap alternative to making a dedicated DK-series cab 'with bonus games' for example... probably sell better than marketing it as a 48-in-1 lol

Savage
18th May 2008, 07:22 PM
Cool write up...
I've got one in my bartop. Friends come over and cause they don't know what the original sound was like doesn't really bother them..

Would like to see what you think about phoenix, it's my mates favorite!

Arcade King
18th May 2008, 07:41 PM
Cool right up...
I've got one in my bartop. Friends come over and cause they don't know what the original sound was like doesn't really bother them..

Would like to see what you think about phoenix, it's my mates favorite!

To be honest I've never played an original Phoenix, I know Geoff has a couple of them ;)

GameDude
18th May 2008, 07:43 PM
If your a purist you will find the original is better, GYRUSS for example my personal fav game.
However bang for buck and ease of installation just cant be beat moreso I find average joe struggles understanding how the originals connected most have the "cartridge" mentality and most dont understand vertical and horizontal so for these users its a godsend.
Also most are not made of money lately and its the best way to get the old classics in a tabletop and reliving the experience.

I would agree the sound is shit on some games but the old issue of input lag I dont seem to notice anymore on the latest units... has anyone else noticed?

Arcade King
18th May 2008, 07:46 PM
Nope didnt notice any lag but you have to admit some games like Galaxians just shouldn't be in there in their current state.

elkor-alish
19th May 2008, 11:47 AM
I've played most of the originals on the 48 in 1 but that was along time ago in an arcade far away.
I have to agree with you about Galaxians though, It was the most glaring error on the board. I haven't really noticed with the other games except for a sound here and there like when Frogger lands in the square at the top of the screen, way off.
Good review.