PDA

View Full Version : Jukeboxes

sparkythepinmonkey
13th May 2008, 06:51 PM
I've been meaning to ask this for a while now & finally gotten around to it.

Will the forum ever be expanded to accomodate jukeboxes?
Or, has it been catered for on another site & hence neglected here? :unsure

Regards, Sparky

Prof
13th May 2008, 06:56 PM
Some jukebox questions have been asked and answered here, but there's probably not enough demand to start a new sub forum. You could prove me wrong tho. :)

sparkythepinmonkey
13th May 2008, 07:03 PM
Well, put it to a vote maybe? :unsure

MetalSkin
13th May 2008, 07:14 PM
would be interesting, though who knows how much interest? I could easily imagine working on a project to build a retro style jukebox, would be fun :) Best bit would be making it all networked and into a media streaming server providing multiple streams so each room could have it's own stream, and then of course a little touchpanel for each room to choose what to listen to, wouldn't be that hard :)

I vote for a separate area, but again, not sure what type of patronage it would garner.

WOKA
13th May 2008, 07:19 PM
No harm in starting a section (don't know how much resource it takes) and if it dosen't take off it could be merged..

Or maybe the 'Mame and General Emulation' could be changed to 'Mame, General Emulation and Juke Boxes'.. And a section under the 'Mame Cab, PinMame and Juke Box Projects and Discussion'

WTF would I know..? I'm only a back yarder. :badgrin

RA40Peter
13th May 2008, 07:59 PM
I would be interested in a seperate area in the forums.
I have a jukebox up and running but am always interested in ways to improve and a seperate area would make it easier to find info.

Peter

Nidzdotnet
13th May 2008, 08:05 PM
I'd be up for a section. I built one and have some experience to share.

AdamC
13th May 2008, 08:10 PM
I have a jukebox thread in the Mame Cab and Pinmame Projects and Discussions. (http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?t=10666)

Would be allright if there was another sub-forum in there.

acejas
13th May 2008, 09:49 PM
id like a sub forum :)

RetroBorg
14th May 2008, 07:14 PM
I'd like to see a Jukebox subforum.

David_AVD
14th May 2008, 07:44 PM
Probably would hurt to add it in somewhere. When I posted about Aussie Juke, I wasn't sure where the best place was. :unsure

AdamC
14th May 2008, 08:04 PM
Cmon Truvis !

Pull ur finger out !

Never a Administrator around when you need one

acejas
14th May 2008, 09:15 PM
yeah where is he????

sparkythepinmonkey
15th May 2008, 12:50 AM
Well... actually... vinyl, was what I had in mind. :confused:
But, the more tangents we can skew off on, the more
well covered the ground will be, hey? :cool:

sparkythepinmonkey
23rd May 2008, 10:04 PM
And then, all was quiet..............(crickets chirping) :sleep

arcadus
24th May 2008, 09:58 PM
Well... actually... vinyl, was what I had in mind. :confused:
But, the more tangents we can skew off on, the more
well covered the ground will be, hey? :cool:

I'm interested but I don't think some of the young'uns know what vinyl is :unsure

opm881
24th May 2008, 11:34 PM
OOO I DO I DO! 18yr old who listened to vinyl ftw. My dad used to use the record player inside to play all his records. had 2 huge bloody speaker boxes hooked upto an amp hooked upto it. each had like... 4-5 speakers in em and they were up by the roof

MetalSkin
25th May 2008, 07:33 PM
I'm interested but I don't think some of the young'uns know what vinyl is :unsure

I don't have any vinyl left! It's all gone to the great bin in the sky :(

BettyCrocker1942
26th May 2008, 03:11 AM
A Jukebox section would be mighty handy.

Dust of the Wurlitzer... ;)

soup
26th May 2008, 11:50 PM
+1 for a jukebox forum, it's been a few months since I finished this little number and am looking at building something better (so will be great to get some feedback):

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa57/soup001/PDSC02008.jpg

BettyCrocker1942
27th May 2008, 01:00 AM
+1 for a jukebox forum, it's been a few months since I finished this little number and am looking at building something better (so will be great to get some feedback):

:o
THAT IS AWESOME!
Sweet 40's look!

Needs more bakelite!!! ;)

dmworking247
27th May 2008, 01:30 AM
Frankly, whilst I recognise we're not here at AA to copy what everyone else has done... I actually like the way BYOAC has a 'projects' forum (general)... so it doesn't matter whether you're restoring a jamma cabinet, building MAME, building a jukebox, building a DIY pinball... etc

I for one am interested in reading about ANY type of DIY project under the category of 'arcade', and I don't actually believe we have the quantity of projects in ANY of those categories to deserve their own forum on AA.

I reckon projects in general should be merged into one forum.

sparkythepinmonkey
27th May 2008, 12:37 PM
But, I wasn't so much after projects, as an area to discuss vinyl/cd jukebox repairs, as we do pinball & arcade.
But given what has come out of the woodwork, thought it may have been an advantage to get the numbers for a new section, include hybrids & homebrews.
If there is no plan for a new section, then can you suggest a 'corner' of the forum where it can be discussed? :unsure

BTW soup, that is a 'killer' effort! :023:

acejas
27th May 2008, 02:42 PM
I might post a ticket to admins for this. I still reckon it would be needed as its different to everything else?

AdamC
14th June 2008, 02:51 PM
Nice work there soup ... whats running it ?

soup
14th June 2008, 07:43 PM
Nice work there soup ... whats running it ?

Cheers! More information (+ pics) from the linky in my sig (BYOAC), but basically its an accumulation of 'donated' parts. 15" touch screen + AlbumPlayer + old server board + Hacked-up-WINXP + el-cheapo 5.1 amp + parts from 50's radiogram + good ol home grown fancy (NOT!) work. Still not fully completed (still trying to source a replacement volume Pot + quiet fans + display stuff + ....), but works a treat!

acejas
16th June 2008, 08:33 AM
how do you find albumplayer? I tried the demo but I hadnt tried it out on other people. Do you think its complex for other useres?

cheers

Strangeways
16th June 2008, 08:42 AM
I think it would be a great idea. I've owned a Continental 2, K Model and I have a few Music Merchants I'd love to learn to restore.. I think I'll be needing help to get them going !

stuba
16th June 2008, 09:01 AM
+1 Jukebox 'area'. all arcades had jukeboxes. should also be an arcade music section, i'm willing to bet we all have playlists that take us back. I've set up a you tube list that i just stream when i'm flipping. Kim Carnes Bette Davis eyes transports me straight to 'fonzies'. LOL

soup
16th June 2008, 01:54 PM
how do you find albumplayer? I tried the demo but I hadnt tried it out on other people. Do you think its complex for other useres?

cheers

I looove AlbumPlayer, however I have yet to try out any other 'touch screen' interfaces. I agree it does pack a fair amount of useablity/complexity, however the beauty is you can still use it without the complexity as it is optional. I have my GF using it fine, as well as my parents. To simply 'scroll'--> 'Click' --> 'select' (either individual song or whole album) and it plays. I also love how you can put into 'Party' mode which restricts a lot of the options (great for parties obviously). However there may be better interfaces out there, I picked AlbumPlayer for trial over others just based on looks to start with, I'll try out others soon. The only thing I'm a bit disappointed with is the colour of AlbumPlayers' interface, bit too light coloured.

I think it would be a great idea. I've owned a Continental 2, K Model and I have a few Music Merchants I'd love to learn to restore.. I think I'll be needing help to get them going !

I'd kill to get my hands on some old jukeboxes, its sucks that you can find heaps of old jukeboxes on EBay in the US being auctioned off to next to nothing, yet nothing here /cry

Strangeways
16th June 2008, 03:01 PM
I looove AlbumPlayer, however I have yet to try out any other 'touch screen' interfaces. I agree it does pack a fair amount of useablity/complexity, however the beauty is you can still use it without the complexity as it is optional. I have my GF using it fine, as well as my parents. To simply 'scroll'--> 'Click' --> 'select' (either individual song or whole album) and it plays. I also love how you can put into 'Party' mode which restricts a lot of the options (great for parties obviously). However there may be better interfaces out there, I picked AlbumPlayer for trial over others just based on looks to start with, I'll try out others soon. The only thing I'm a bit disappointed with is the colour of AlbumPlayers' interface, bit too light coloured.

I'd kill to get my hands on some old jukeboxes, its sucks that you can find heaps of old jukeboxes on EBay in the US being auctioned off to next to nothing, yet nothing here /cry

I used to have 2 X Continental II.. One restored, one was used for parts.
I actually have one Music Merchant, one "K-200E" and 4 "M" Tropicana Models.

soup
28th June 2008, 01:40 PM
For some reason I cant Post on the EBay thread, but it's JukeBox related:

JukeBox on Ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/DIGITAL-VIDEO-WALL-MOUNT-COIN-OPERATED-JUKEBOX_W0QQitemZ250263369406QQcmdZViewItem?hash=i tem250263369406&_trkparms=72%3A729|39%3A1|65%3A12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14)

Seriously, without knowing anything of the actual brand - for something *supposedly* worth $13,000 I wouldn't pay $60 for, and that would be just for the touch screen!

David_AVD
28th June 2008, 02:01 PM
For some reason I cant Post on the EBay thread...
You probably need to have at least 30 posts to post in there? :unsure

AdamC
28th June 2008, 02:06 PM
You probably need to have at least 30 posts to post in there? :unsure

Thats what i was thinking too.

David - any more work done on your jukebox program ?

David_AVD
28th June 2008, 02:56 PM
Not in the last month or so. Version 1.6.3 is on the web site. I have 1.6.4 ready to upload at some stage. (just some small fixes) What version have you got?

arcadus
14th July 2008, 12:19 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/visit-the-wurlitzer-jukebox-factory_W0QQitemZ250267673003QQihZ015QQcategoryZ39 45QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Just purchased this, ($5.00), interesting to see the sheer extent of the wurlitzer factory back in the 50's. No outsourcing here, they make their own plywood , plastic extrusion, metalwork etc., almost rivals any car production assembly.

AskJacob
14th July 2008, 12:38 AM
As soon as I saw it had no copyright, a quick visit to the prelinger archive found it:

Here it is for free if anyone else wants to see it:

Part 1:
http://www.archive.org/details/VisittoW1950

Part 2:
http://www.archive.org/details/VisittoW1950_2

$5 isn't too bad if you consider the time and data.

Cheers