PDA

View Full Version : vid noob post

Fish Tales
12th May 2008, 03:04 PM
Looking at how you guys power 48 in 1 boards and it seems that you do not use the three hole white power connector thingy on the board?

I was thinking along the lines of a 48 in 1, powered by a pc power supply. Power supplied straight into the white 3 hole connector on the 48in1 board. The pc power supply would also have the outlet to power a pc monitor, and a switch built in. Then all that needs to be done is wire the stick and buttons with a jamma harness?

Please correct me because I am wondering why you guys go with an arcade power supply when a pc one seems easier?
:unsure

spacies
12th May 2008, 03:05 PM
Dunno.

David_AVD
12th May 2008, 03:07 PM
On a PC power supply you have to link some wires together to get it to start. It's also larger than an arcade PSU most of the time and harder to screw down to the base board.

Fish Tales
12th May 2008, 03:14 PM
On a PC power supply you have to link some wires together to get it to start.

Ah ok (wasnt expecting that answer).... well the connector on the 48in1 looks to be made for a pc power supply male plug. Do you know what wires need to be linked, and why do they need to be linked?

AskJacob
12th May 2008, 03:20 PM
Ah ok (wasnt expecting that answer).... well the connector on the 48in1 looks to be made for a pc power supply male plug. Do you know what wires need to be linked, and why do they need to be linked?

green to black on the atx connector - it is what 'tells' the PC power supply to turn on. Without that connection, the power supply won't put out anything...

Don't take my wire colours as gospel - in general that is right, but I have seen some weird coloured wires out there (yes Dell, I'm looking at you).

Oh, and what do you mean it looks like a PC power supply male plug? Like a hard drive power connector (4 pin?)

I guess I'd also add that an arcade PS seems to be about the same price as a PC one, and was designed to go in a box with poor ventilation...

WOKA
12th May 2008, 03:26 PM
Typically a 48 in 1 goes in an arcade cabinet, right. Right. Most arcade cabinets have arcade power supplies in them, right..? Right. JAMMA boards, 48 in 1 included are power by this arcade power supply through the JAMMA harness.

Fish Tales
12th May 2008, 03:46 PM
JAMMA boards, 48 in 1 included are power by this arcade power supply through the JAMMA harness.

I wasnt sure about that either, getting the picture though.
:)

narf_
12th May 2008, 06:33 PM
ive done this

i used a PC power supply linked the green and a common wire together to kickstart the PS. I also used a PC monitor and just left it turned on. I just turn it on and off at the power point. As for the plug just choose a HD plug and thats it. You could perhaps add a between the green and common to turn it on and off perhaps?

all i did was buy a cheap jamma harness and wired it up. You can also just make your own with the wires just the ones you need.

no fuss really and mine is a single stick CP so only p1 needed to be wired up

Fish Tales
12th May 2008, 09:05 PM
So ok it is possible then, I wasnt a complete arseclown with my idea lol

narf_
12th May 2008, 09:07 PM
yeah i can take a pic of mine if you like

Fish Tales
12th May 2008, 09:09 PM
yeah i can take a pic of mine if you like

that would be cool narf
:cool: