PDA

View Full Version : Reproduction translites

gunigoogoo
1st June 2006, 10:10 AM
Hi all,

I've been looking for a replacement translite for my WCS with not much luck. Just wondering if anyone here has reproduced one and if so, did it turn out OK. What was the cost and who did it? Is it just a matter of taking some high quality photos and taking them to the printer? Cheers.

rottenpig
1st June 2006, 10:16 AM
this question has been asked a few times now. i have seen some re-prints just from the local scanners or whatever and they don't come up very good at all. if you want to do it properly, follow darksoul's advice -

http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?t=1378
http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?t=1334

gunigoogoo
1st June 2006, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the info but isn't that more specific to backglass reproduction/restoration? I'm after a repro of my translite. Is the principle the same?

rottenpig
1st June 2006, 10:27 AM
scratch that idea, was it world challenge soccer? you could just buy one off US Ebay.

NMD
1st June 2006, 10:33 AM
Nah hes after WCS [ World Cup Soccer ] By Bally 1994. I had a look when i was restoring my WCS but couldnt source one so i cleaned the existing one which wasnt that bad anyway.

rottenpig
1st June 2006, 10:37 AM
whoops! that sucks, nothing on US Ebay either.

gunigoogoo
1st June 2006, 10:42 AM
I wonder if I take it to Signarama, will they just duplicate it for me? They will need to use the correct plastic though. The one I have is OK but there are a few gouges which stand out when the lights are on. If I get a copy made, that should remove the the 3D effect you get with the gouges.

Ric
1st June 2006, 04:47 PM
try Mayfair Amusements, Bay Area Amusements or Pinball Resource

all in the US however if they have them, they will be NOS. additionally, sinceit is translite it will costs not much to ship

Ric

gunigoogoo
1st June 2006, 04:52 PM
try Mayfair Amusements, Bay Area Amusements or Pinball Resource

all in the US however if they have them, they will be NOS. additionally, sinceit is translite it will costs not much to ship

Ric
Tried all of the above. Nada, zilch, nothing! Bumper list one on their website but when I asked, they said it was no longer available. Thanks anyway.

garuda
1st June 2006, 06:30 PM
Take it to Signorama. I have had translites done there. Make sure you take your translite and show them the material. I had one done and they printed it on a translite that was the correct material on the back but a plasticy-paper type finish on the front. The translite comes out with a dull finish unless a lot of light is shining through it. You may also want to take some headers etc. to get printed as the minimum charge is for 1 metre of printing and a translite is only about 60cm high.

pigsie
2nd June 2006, 10:05 AM
You may also want to take some headers etc. to get printed as the minimum charge is for 1 metre of printing and a translite is only about 60cm high.

If they are so hard to obtain, get two printed and flog the other one off on ebay, you might even get some return on your investment :unsure

pigsie

gunigoogoo
2nd June 2006, 10:16 AM
If they are so hard to obtain, get two printed and flog the other one off on ebay, you might even get some return on your investment :unsure

pigsie
That's a bloody good idea. Thanks chief!

Ric
2nd June 2006, 02:59 PM
if you put a williams translite repro on ebay you will soon get a letter from Wayne that you are infringing WMS copyright

i personally would not be bothered with trying to flog one on ebay these auctions have been shutdown worldwide

Ric

humpalot
2nd June 2006, 03:11 PM
if you put a williams translite repro on ebay you will soon get a letter from Wayne that you are infringing WMS copyright

Ric

That's far enough with copyright, I just wish they (the people who hold the copyright's) would offer repro's themselves. At least that way there would be no need for pirate repro's in the first place. They like to enforce their copyrights, but for the majority of pinball items you can't get them. It's all frustrating. OK I'm off my soap box now :D

Ric
2nd June 2006, 03:23 PM
NOS stock is out there it is just not that easy to find in some circumsatnes

As for repro's the market is still very fickle

As for Wayne and his lawyers, it is their perogative but whether it helps pinball, his buisness or rpeutation is another question altogether. I am sure the lawyers aren't offering their services pro bono

Ric

NMD
2nd June 2006, 03:54 PM
There would be license issues with reproducing the WCS translite wouldnt there as the FIFA Logo is on it..

pigsie
2nd June 2006, 05:03 PM
Sorry didn't think before I typed, probably not such a good idea after all.

pigsie

gunigoogoo
2nd June 2006, 05:40 PM
I just got a quote from Signarama. It will cost upwards of $50 to scan the artwork and touch it up and then a further $150 to print it on translite material. That has definitely put the kiss of death on it. I'm just going to have to wait for a NOS item to popup somewhere. If anyone can help, I would appreciate it.

Ric
2nd June 2006, 06:21 PM
start trawling the dealer sights and shooting off emails to see if you strike it lucky

Fabulous Fantasies

Gameroom antiques

TNT in Jersey

Pinball Heaven in UK

Ric

NMD
2nd June 2006, 06:27 PM
I dare say youd be forking out quite a bit for a NOS one aswell + shipping from overseas.. also try your luck asking for a nice used one on RGP

gunigoogoo
2nd June 2006, 07:02 PM
Thanks for your help guys.