PDA

View Full Version : Clone Redbox HDD?

schmake
7th May 2008, 08:00 PM
Has anyone been able to clone the Redbox HDD? Due to it making some dubious noises (methinks its on its last legs) and me wanting to add some of my own games, I thought that I'd make a backup.

However I've tried several ways and with several HDDs (gotta love those xbox 10gb drives) to clone/backup the HDD but have had no success. The file structure and partitions appear identical, however it comes up with an error in chinese that appears to be a serial code or the like in front of a loading screen. If I connect a mouse/keyboard and can get into the Windows 2000 (Chinese) but can't do anything as the gamebox executable keeps trying to start and fails at the same loading/error screen.

Any ideas?

Davefjedi
7th May 2008, 09:12 PM
How have you tryed to clone it?

schmake
7th May 2008, 09:36 PM
I used the following apps:
ImageCenter 5.6
Norton Ghost 11.0.1
COPYR.DMA Build013 (raw direct copy bad sectors and all)

I used them as both direct clone and copy to image, on over 5 different HDDs. The same result each time. The bizarre thing is that I'm sure that the first clone worked fine a few days ago, not now however. It's doing my head in as I can't understand why its not cloning/booting correctly.

Davefjedi
7th May 2008, 09:57 PM
Look up a proggy called acronis true image i think its called

schmake
8th May 2008, 12:00 AM
Ok, now this is starting to become weird.
I've also used Acronis True Image 8.1.945 and got the same result (gone through the entire suite of clone tools on Hiren's Boot CD 9.3).

It turns out that all of the cloned HDD's can in fact work, I just need to close the serial/password looking screen (attached) by using Alt-F4 to get to the menu screen. Whilst this is somewhat good news, I still can't see why it just can't boot straight to the customised front-end! I think its a serial/password as its in the format XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX. For each cloned HDD its a different number :unsure

As for adding/modifying the menu its been quite fun trying to figure out whats going on. There is one main text files that seem to be the config for the custom front end.
It lists on a line the category (in chinese), game title, rom and emulator with simple white space between (not delimited).

At lunch at work today I knocked up some little tools in .net to aid me in adding and renaming the games.
Firstly I parsed the config file to give me an output of the rom name and emu. I then grabbed a dump of MAME roms and linked the full title to the Redbox rom through some SQL. Some roms were missed out, so I manually located the titles for these. Now I was ready to rebuild the config text file, all I needed to do is read the chinese descriptions from the original file, write it to an output file which I would then concatenate the full desc, rom and emu with the relevant spacing. Sounded simple enough.

But the problem is the encoding of the chinese text. I'm not sure how to read/write the chinese text. I've tried reading the text through a stream reader passed with chinese simplfied (and also chinese traditional encoder) however the output is not the same.

However tonight since I discovered that these cloned drives are semi-working I've been able to play with the file. I still don't know what encoder to use, however in a bizarre twist if I copy and paste from the original file in word pad into the text document it works fine... I can't copy/paste from word or notepad, just wordpad.

So at least I've added around 15 more games that I was looking for, and Wonderboy the one that I really wanted. :D

Now I just need to understand why the error pops up each boot (or return to menu for that matter).
Any ideas? :confused:

GameDude
8th May 2008, 05:22 AM
beats me why you cant duplicate them properly, I use Acronis and its 100% so far...
I also have spare HDD if a drive ever packs it in.... BTW the model drive in most of these units are noisy compared to new units thats normal for them.

Davefjedi
19th May 2008, 06:56 PM
I am haveing no luck ghosting one of these drives any one got more suggestions
have tryed all the above no luck :(

shooter
19th May 2008, 08:34 PM
is the drive dead maybe?

what brand is it? Grab a util for the makers website and do a QUICK test on the HDD. the long tests can make it worse.

Davefjedi
19th May 2008, 09:29 PM
Nah drive is good just wont clone :(

DonkyKong
19th May 2008, 09:39 PM
True Image v11 home worked on mine.

DK

The Pinny Parlour
19th May 2008, 10:24 PM
Hey Guys, if you have a Seagate or Maxtor HDD, then you can get Acronis True Image for free, (rebadged/renamed) from Seagate.

http://www.seagate.com/support/discwizard/DiscWizardSetup.en.exe

Davefjedi
19th May 2008, 10:58 PM
Whell now I am realy rooted :(
after putting the origional disk back in I am getting disk boot failure
can anyone ftp me the image(pm me for the ftp details) or can I send a hard drive to get it put on
In the meantime I have loaded tinyxp on another drive installed the drivers and haveing a play with it
but I would like the origional setup back :(
HELP:cry:cry:cry:cry

schmake
20th May 2008, 10:11 AM
For me to ftp the entire image would take forever on my upspeed.
I can send you a clone if Acronis True Image 11 works properly, will try when I get home

Davefjedi
20th May 2008, 12:35 PM
For me to ftp the entire image would take forever on my upspeed.
I can send you a clone if Acronis True Image 11 works properly, will try when I get home

Mate your a ball saver pm me your addy I can post you a harddrive to copy it to if you like

In the meantime I have installed tinyxp and am playing with advancemame and advancemenu

GameDude
20th May 2008, 02:05 PM
If anyone need the RedBox HDD re-copied you can send the HDD to me as well :)

schmake
21st May 2008, 09:50 AM
Well I tried again this morning with Acronis True Image 11 Build 8053 Home and I still get the same result as in post one :unsure

Looks like Dorian is the one to try getting a working image from.

I've decided to start editing the original redbox drive now as I'm sick of having a keyboard attached to bypass the cloned drive error msg. I've turned my Redbox from 1000 in 1 with too many variations of KOF/SF to a 980 in 1 with a heap of different games with english desc to boot!