PDA

View Full Version : White Water Restoration

Darksoul
3rd May 2008, 01:48 PM
Just a quick overview of my resto. When finished I'll have a dedicated web page to this one!

My WH2O arrived from Wayne last week. He had left me in no doubt as to the amount of TLC it would take to bring this baby up to standard. Still, it was a bargain with a great translight, topper and no error reports.

My wife was even keen to lend a hand.

Cabinet was in better condition than I thought and the backbox will only need a few touchups.

Darksoul
3rd May 2008, 01:54 PM
The playfield and ramps were REALLY dirty. You could almost write your name in the grime on the playfield. Ramps are meant to be clear but many of them were so dirty you could not see through them. Steel on the ramps was also rusted!

I bet this machine had never been cleaned since it left the factory.

Arcade King
3rd May 2008, 01:58 PM
Keep the pics coming :) I love restore threads.

AskJacob
3rd May 2008, 02:04 PM
I agree.

Also, wow. I thought my IJ was dirty. That is just... wow.

Hope you have some novus!

Darksoul
3rd May 2008, 02:05 PM
Ramps were put through the dishwasher on a temperature 40C, gentle cycle. No decals came off. First pic shows ramps at various stages of cleaning.

Far right ramp on first picture has been through the dishwasher and needs to be cleaned with magic eraser and warm soapy water.

After thoroughly cleaning each ramp they were sanded with 2000 wet (including the steel), magic erasered again in warm soapy water and rinsed. Underside of each steel on the ramps was also dried to stop any further rust by blotting out the trapped water with a kitchen cloth.

I bought a burner and then slowly skimmed it over the ramps as shown at Marvin Pinball. The end result is a near crystal clear ramp with almost invisible ball trails.

Darksoul
3rd May 2008, 02:12 PM
Another dirty ramp but just check out those ball trails and dirt that are on the playfield under the ramps. Top end of the playfield was stripped, all metal cleaned with Autosol. Playfield magic erasered, sanded lightly with 2000 wet, polished with Novus 3, 2 and then carnauba waxed.

Result is f*cking brilliant.

A shot of some of the parts laid out. They will all be either cleaned or replaced.

Darksoul
3rd May 2008, 02:25 PM
The playfield was a real challenge to clean. It was first wiped down with a rag and shellite....twice, to get rid of the grime (see previous posts of the playfield).

Then rubbed down with Novus 3. It soon became apparent there was virtually no shine on the playfield due to in ground dirt and millions of fine scratches (rusty balls I would assume).

Playfield was magic erasered with shellite, it took 3 full packs (8 cubes per pack) before no more grime came off! :o
It was still totally dull. I wet sanded with 2000 grit and Novus 3.

I then used a 4" buffer system attached to a variable speed drill to polish it with Novus 3, clean off, polish with a Novus 3/2 mix, clean off, polish with Novus 2, clean off and then wax with carnauba wax.

All playfield cleaning and polishing took an estimated 12 hours.

First photo is after the sanding, polishing with the buffer and Novus 3 and being cleaned off. You can still see the Novus near the slingshots to be cleaned off. Notice there is still very little gloss and reflection from the targets.

Second photo is of the finished process and waxing. Hmmmmmm, shiny. :cool:

That's all for now, perhaps more in the next few days!

Arcade King
3rd May 2008, 02:41 PM
its certainly a great looking game.

LOTR4U
3rd May 2008, 03:08 PM
WOW what a great job! I knew that thing would come up great with some TLC but I just couldn't afford it at the time :cry

Ballypinball
3rd May 2008, 03:37 PM
Fantastic Job Brad

Looks like it is coming along well.

We are a distributor for mothers products and we have been testing them out
over the past week.

We will have some great cleaners and wax products

Be interested in a few guys trying them out

spacies
3rd May 2008, 04:41 PM
Wowza!!!!

Nice work mate. Look at those ramps!!
That is a cool game.

Foot
3rd May 2008, 07:07 PM
Can't believe how dirty that was, looking great now!

Shock_And_Awe
3rd May 2008, 07:41 PM
Very nice work Brad. How long have you had the machine for? It seems you're not wasting any time.

ktm450
3rd May 2008, 07:41 PM
WOW that looks awesome, you are giving me plenty of inspiration to clean mine up! Now if I could just find the time...

stuba
3rd May 2008, 08:42 PM
great job brad. any playfield wear now that you can actually see the playfield? lost mine kickout is normally the worst? looks like it was in the rec room at a coal mine but sometimes all that grit can protect the playfield. Will you need to do any touch ups?

Darksoul
3rd May 2008, 11:14 PM
great job brad. any playfield wear now that you can actually see the playfield? lost mine kickout is normally the worst? looks like it was in the rec room at a coal mine but sometimes all that grit can protect the playfield. Will you need to do any touch ups?

Tiny bit of wear less than 5mm across at lost mine kickout. WIll be an easy touchup.

Broken right kicker plastic - no big deal to fix.

Couple of broken boulders. I have a cunning plan I will divulge if it works out. :evil

Shock_And_Awe
4th May 2008, 08:18 AM
Couple of broken boulders. I have a cunning plan I will divulge if it works out. :evil

Hey Brad, did you see this method posted by AussieKelvin? I saw them in person and it was difficult to tell they had been repaired even with a close inspection.
http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?t=12271

Darksoul
4th May 2008, 04:14 PM
Hey Brad, did you see this method posted by AussieKelvin? I saw them in person and it was difficult to tell they had been repaired even with a close inspection.
http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?t=12271

Yep, did see that. Good job.

ktm450
9th May 2008, 04:20 PM
I bought a burner and then slowly skimmed it over the ramps as shown at Marvin Pinball. The end result is a near crystal clear ramp with almost invisible ball trails.

What type of burner do you recommend? I am going to have a go at mine as soon as I get a chance

Shock_And_Awe
9th May 2008, 04:57 PM
What type of burner do you recommend? I am going to have a go at mine as soon as I get a chance

I bought a big propane torch from bunninings for $18 and it does the job great.

Johns-Arcade
9th May 2008, 05:50 PM
Excellent work!! Looking great. Yet another Pin getting the royal treatment. :023:

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

Darksoul
10th May 2008, 02:01 PM
The final (almost) product. Re-assembled and cleaned, fully working. A few screws to be polished and checked to ensure the right ones are used, kicker plastics to be re-made/replaced. It is a huge difference from the first few photos.

Last photo is a teaser of what is to come for the boulder garden. :D

LOTR4U
10th May 2008, 04:59 PM
DANG NICE one! :D

I am very jealous! :cry

Ballypinball
10th May 2008, 05:02 PM
the translite looks good

NMD
10th May 2008, 05:06 PM
Nice work :) Sure was dirty ! I bet it plays nice now its clean.

LOTR4U
10th May 2008, 05:07 PM
the translite looks good

I knew that a repro would look no different. Just wish I could have bought the dam thing :(

Darksoul
10th May 2008, 05:55 PM
the translite looks good

Yeah! Is a beauty.

Cheers!

ktm450
10th May 2008, 06:44 PM
WOW looks awesome!!!:cool:

LOTR4U
11th May 2008, 10:28 AM
Yeah! Is a beauty.

Cheers!

let me know if you want to sell it ;)

spacies
11th May 2008, 10:34 AM
I really liked this game when I played it at the NZ meet.
Its on my list of machines I want to own.

Strangeways
10th June 2008, 10:23 AM
Great work, Brad. Your restorations are always top notch. WH2O looks to be a difficult game to shop out, let alone restore.. No wonder they are always filthy (well all the ones I've seen)..

:038:

Crispimeat
14th June 2008, 09:11 AM
Certainly looked like water has not been down those rapids in awhile, great job Darksoul nice to see the rapids flowing again :D

stuba
24th June 2008, 08:31 AM
Great work, Brad. Your restorations are always top notch. WH2O looks to be a difficult game to shop out, let alone restore.. No wonder they are always filthy (well all the ones I've seen)..

:038:

impossible to keep upper playfield clean under the ramps and mini playfield - has to be completely dissassembled to clean which is an ordeal. anyone that half-arses it and only does the accessible lower playfield will suffer the problem of the ball tracking dirt from above because the ball does spend a lot of time up there and the multiball kicker is a natural collection point for coil dust which it then pumps from under the playfield to ontop of the playfield. great pin but high maintenance to keep in top nick. somebody needs to invent a pinball cleaning ball?:)

Mickey Juice
24th June 2008, 03:08 PM
Funhouse is the same... bugger to access the upper PF under the ramps.