PDA

View Full Version : setting up mame controls

MrWasabi
30th April 2008, 01:41 PM
Hi Guys,
Brand new to the forum, so hi...
ive recently aquired an arcade cabinet and am currently in the process of putting a computer in it running a custom version of xp which i created with nlite.
I pulled apart a keyboard and i figured out its matrix and mapped it out.

Last night i wired some basic keys, like fire 1234 and the joystick. works like a charm.

I went into a game and i wanted to change the default config for the key layout, i dont like the shift zx ctrl alt space combo

but i noticed that there are a few extra movements, such as up/left, up/right, right right, right left etc...

the up/left i figure is a diagonal movement...but i dont know what the right/right and right/left is about.

what are these extra movements for and how should i define them?

dmworking247
30th April 2008, 01:44 PM
Don't worry about those combo movements... a game that requires diagnonal can be achieved by pressing up and left (for example) at the same time (ie moving your joystick)... I don't really know why those mappings exist but I assume its for if you have some kind of funky joystick that has its own dedicated diagonal switch rather than using up+left or whatever.

Btw, welcome to the forum.

MrWasabi
30th April 2008, 02:02 PM
Sweet, thanks for that.
The cabinet has 2 4 way controls so yeah, diagonals i thought would be up and across...
I was going to throw them out and buy a whole new front end with buttons etc, and put in 8 way controllers but it looks like 4 will suffice for most games.

dmworking247
30th April 2008, 02:10 PM
I'd be suprised if its restricted to 4-way... if its got two joysticks they're probably 8 way with 4 microswitches (diagonals are 2 microswitches at once).

Can you move the joysticks into a corner and feel/hear two microswitches click? If so you've got 8-way (diagnonal) movement. Also look underneath the joystick for a 'restrictor plate' which allows you to inhibit movement to either 8 way, 4 way, or 2 way.

MrWasabi
30th April 2008, 02:31 PM
ahhh ok, i thought that 8 ways had 8 microswitches...no this one has 4 switches underneath, but no restrictor plate. Yes moving it diagonally activates 2 switches.

Still might throw these out and buy a new set, as the machine is older than i am and i found a 1972 10c piece inside it when i bought it lol...

WOKA
30th April 2008, 02:37 PM
ahhh ok, i thought that 8 ways had 8 microswitches...no this one has 4 switches underneath, but no restrictor plate. Yes moving it diagonally activates 2 switches.

Still might throw these out and buy a new set, as the machine is older than i am and i found a 1972 10c piece inside it when i bought it lol...

Don't throw 'em out.. Offer them on the forum first..!

BTW - Welcome.

MrWasabi
30th April 2008, 02:59 PM
Don't throw 'em out.. Offer them on the forum first..!

BTW - Welcome.

I wouldnt wish these controllers to to worst enemy, but ok.
As soon as i buy the new ones ill offer them to who ever wants em.

thanks for the welcome :)