PDA

View Full Version : AskJacobs' IJ Restoration

AskJacob
27th April 2008, 11:51 AM
Hi Gang,

I've just gotten to the scarey stage with this machine....

I've stripped it back to the dirty, dirty PF.

And have lots of boxes and baggies of what was once the soul of the machine.

And wonder how the hell it will all get back together again...

I have over 200 pics getting to this stage - but I have a problem. This machine has been hacked, bodged and mangled, so my reference pics will really only help me put it back that way :)

If there are any IJ owners out there, please be patient as I may be asking some q's down the road on what really goes where.

Well, I have 1/4 bottle novus #1, almost a whole rubber set and some time on my hands today. Lets see how it goes!

I'll update later during a break with some stuff...

Cheers!

Skybeaux
27th April 2008, 11:53 AM
That's really..really dirty.

AskJacob
27th April 2008, 07:50 PM
So,

here is the playfield after some time today... Including lunch with the inlaws and a shopping trip (free time eh?)

Looks a bit better :)

shooter
27th April 2008, 09:34 PM
a lot better.

Skybeaux
28th April 2008, 08:34 AM
That looks heaps better!:003:

Railways
28th April 2008, 07:48 PM
Certainly has made a difference. Just a thought, but while you have it stripped this far it wouldn't be a half bad idea to dismantle the popbumpers and fit new skirts,rod&rings and any broken yokes while access is a lot easier. I also have an IJ that I'm accumulating resto bits for so if you need a photo or such like ,I'm only up at Kariong.

AskJacob
1st May 2008, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, I am pretty happy with it.

I noticed that in the left inlanes where the ball drops out of the wireforms, the playfield is getting a bit 'dented'. The paint is not cracked (thankfully) or chipped, but I am worried it may happen over time...

Some places (like under the PoA) have the factory mylar, (which seems OK so I have decided to leave it on) and they don't seem to be dented.

I was thinking though, apart from the general 'yuk mylar' sentiment I feel areound here :) that even if I did want to put a small square of mylar there it would probably get bubbles under it because of the dent?

Therefore I am not doing anything yet... but am wondering if it will be a problem over time?:unsure

JPD, cheers for the heads up on the pop bumpers. I didn't look at them at all really until just now... 2 of the rings had one of the rods snapped off at the threaded section (which is a pretty obvious weak spot). Thankfully the plungers, yokes and stops are in good nick (but were black!). One of my switches was green in colour too :(

The bumper caps were already stuffed, so I'm going to be getting 3 new bumper rings, 3 new bodies, 3 skirts and 3 new caps. Just looking for a neat way to get the light sockets out.. shouldn't be too hard with a bit of desoldering and loosening some staples...

So, I'm now at that frustrating stage where work is on hold while I have to wait until I can order some parts....

That's OK, I am a bit sick of the smell of Brasso from polishing all of that stainless steel...

Oh, and is there anyone in Aus that has the saucer scoop? Mine turned into red powder when I looked at it. I haven't seen it at RTBB or Pinball Spare Parts...

Cheers!

Gav
1st May 2008, 03:41 PM
Try Wayne for the saucer scoop. Maybe Fill the dents with super thin super glue from a model shop then use a small piece mylar just at ball drop area. Good idea to lower the red saucer at the mode start with a couple of washes and place some weaterstrip on the back of the scoop,this will result in little to no bounce out which are prone to IJ and very annoying,
Cheers Gav

AskJacob
1st May 2008, 03:56 PM
Try Wayne for the saucer scoop. Maybe Fill the dents with super thin super glue from a model shop then use a small piece mylar just at ball drop area. Good idea to lower the red saucer at the mode start with a couple of washes and place some weaterstrip on the back of the scoop,this will result in little to no bounce out which are prone to IJ and very annoying,
Cheers Gav

Yeah, Ill check out wayne's site later tonight, thanks.

How's you rmachine look in that area I'm talking about? have you had to do anything, or is is ok?

Thanks for the tip on the scoop - I'm aware of that problem! I bought one of those self adhesive rubber 1x1 inch blocks as a test - waaay too thick to work there... so it looks like it will be weather strip.

Speaking of weather strip, what is a good brand you have had success with? I bought some years ago for a project, and the adhesive sucked so badly... having to take of the glass to fish out a loose bit of foam was annoying!

Cheers!

Gav
1st May 2008, 05:02 PM
All the ball drop areas are pretty good on mine. I got the foam from Mitre 10. You can buy it off the roll per metre in low, medium and high density, I found low to be the best one,.....or was it medium. Shit can't remember, just get both, cost about $1 P/M. Tried to attatch a pic showing where I have placed foam,hope it worked

AskJacob
1st May 2008, 05:45 PM
Yep, can see what you mean there. Looks like medium closed cell stuff there :)

Man, your wire forms look soo nice.. mine are back to silver (and spotted with corrosion in places).

Cirqus4u has been on my case to get them plated again :)

I am going to knock up a 'hitlist' for this machine, like I did for my dracula....

It feels good to knock something off the list when it is sorted.

Making the list for this machine may be more depressing than normal :)

I have to pace out what I can do as $$ become available (don't we all). At least I have another 2 machines working for me... but I do want to play Indie!
-----
So many smilies.... trying to keep positive?

Gav
1st May 2008, 05:49 PM
Will all be worth it mate. It's such a beautiful machine to look at and to play when your all done.:cool:

AskJacob
3rd May 2008, 12:00 PM
Started a new thread asking about drop targets...

http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?p=157473#post157473

Shock_And_Awe
4th May 2008, 04:17 PM
Nice work Jacob. Lucky you got one with a lost plastic already which saves some $$s.
I would put mylar on the ball drop areas even if they are dented because I doubt they will get much worse than where they are now. If they are very bad you could do as Gav suggested with the super glue.
I experimented with some different weather strips but none of them lasted very long for me. The ones I tried did not stand up to the constant abuse but Pinbits sell some really good stuff that is still as good on my machine today as it was when I put it on. I thought I had some left that I could just post to you but unfortunately can't find any. Here's the link for it anyway... http://pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=131

I did a full resto job on my Indy a year ago or so and it came up quite nice but unfortunately it has been plagued with reliability issues that have been really giving me the shits. The plating that Ryan was talking about for the ramps was what he got done for my ramps and they came up great.

Good luck.
Mark.

AskJacob
9th May 2008, 01:46 PM
OK, so after the drama this past week (broken into :(), and the fact that I have 100% commitments that do not involve pinball this weekend.. and no $$$ for parts (oh quit bloody whinging!) I might as well do something constructive, and write up my list o stuff to do for my IJ:

1 - mylar patch drop zones
2 - replace drop targets with matching flush units
3 - source new drop target decals (not happy with the prices for these...)
4 - replace slingshot plastics
5 - clean wire ramps
6 - look at getting ramps plated
7 - replace legs (rusty) and feet
8 - replace busted jackpot plastic
9 - remove flipper switch hack, find some optos and put them back in
10 - rebuild pop bumpers - new bodies, wafers, rings and caps
11 - finish cleaning PF
12 - clean ball subway
13 - finish re-rubbering
14 - de-rust or replace the metal posts
15 - fix ruins (cracks/holes)
16 - replace missing screws in the gun
17 - find a BiPlane somewhere
18 - Play!

Stuff I have done so far:

1 - fixed dead flashers. None worked at all. Fault: fuse blows immediately. Cause: Short in bridge. Bridge replaced, all OK
2 - Cleaned Idol assembly (inside and out)
3 - Stripped and cleaned a majority of the PF
4 - Removed, cleaned and fixed (dry solder etc) every PCB, including light assemblies.
5 - relamped the machine
6 - polished all SS parts
7 - lots of other small things I'm sure...

AskJacob
9th May 2008, 01:51 PM
-------

Oh, and to feel better (I like to see progress of some sort) here is a before n after pic:

A dremel knock off, with a little buffing wheel and brasso brought back those screws nicely:)

dmworking247
9th May 2008, 01:51 PM
Lots to go but sounds like you've made good progress.

On the topic of being broken into, invasion, theft or vandalism of personal property is right up there on my list of most hated things. I've had a car stolen and stripped and my wheels taken from my own driveway too.

All this talk about cat bashing on the forum, I'd much rather a vigilante group eradicate these (*@#s!

AskJacob
9th May 2008, 01:55 PM
-----

Here is a great ad for novus #2... the idol lock assembly before and after:

This was not a simulated cleaning demonstration (a la white king) - and no, I didn't just buy another one :) (or, swap the before and after pics!)

AskJacob
27th May 2008, 05:05 PM
An update, and a question....

1 - mylar patch drop zones (ordering tonight I hope)
2 - replace drop targets with matching flush units (ordering tonight I hope)
3 - source new drop target decals (not happy with the prices for these...)
4 - replace slingshot plastics
5 - clean wire ramps
6 - look at getting ramps plated (not on cards at the moment)
7 - replace legs (rusty) and feet (not too urgent yet)
8 - replace busted jackpot plastic
9 - remove flipper switch hack, find some optos and put them back in
10 - rebuild pop bumpers - new bodies, wafers, rings and caps (ordering tonight I hope)
11 - clean ball subway
12 - finish re-rubbering (ordering missing rubbers tonight I hope)
13 - fix ruins : cracks/holes (still thinking about best angle of attack)
14 - replace missing screws in the gun
15 - find a BiPlane somewhere :unsure anyone?
16 - Play!

1 - fixed dead flashers. None worked at all. Fault: fuse blows immediately. Cause: Short in bridge. Bridge replaced, all OK
4 - Removed, cleaned and fixed (dry solder etc) every PCB, including light assemblies.
5 - relamped the machine
7 - finish cleaning PF
8 - de-rust or replace the metal posts (Thanks to a helpful member who did these for me!)

So, quite small progress since last update.... But at least something has been done...

Now, my question is to other IJ owners.... is this how the right hand side outlane area should look? I took pictures of mine, but who knows if it was right in the first place...:rolleyes

Gav
27th May 2008, 05:19 PM
Will check and compare with mine tonight.Nothing looks obviously wrong

pinsanity
27th May 2008, 06:22 PM
Apart from the missing rubber between those two metal posts its correct, AskJacob (unless I put my IJ back together incorrectly as well. :redface)

LOTR4U
27th May 2008, 07:46 PM
Looking very nice! :D

When am I coming over for a play? :unsure

AskJacob
27th May 2008, 11:30 PM
Apart from the missing rubber between those two metal posts its correct, AskJacob (unless I put my IJ back together incorrectly as well. :redface)

Yeah, its the rubber I'm wondering about.... The manual doesn't seem to refer to it, but it does miss out on some others too so:unsure

I thought it would be a bit harsh without rubber... but still am not 100% sure one way or the other because of the manual... What size do you think would go there?

Cheers!

Looking very nice! :D

When am I coming over for a play? :unsure

heh heh it will be soon honest:D

Gotta get the place tidy or the missus will kill me if someone comes round:rolleyes just really haven't had much time at home in the last two weeks. Thankfully I will this weekend, so can catch up. I haven't forgotten, and there'll be a coldie waiting too:badgrin

Indy will be a while off before it is playable. Can't help firing it up now and then to run the sound tests:lol

pinsanity
28th May 2008, 12:02 AM
Yeah, its the rubber I'm wondering about.... The manual doesn't seem to refer to it, but it does miss out on some others too so:unsure

I thought it would be a bit harsh without rubber... but still am not 100% sure one way or the other because of the manual... What size do you think would go there?

Cheers!

The rubber ring database page seems to indicate that they use 2 3/16" rubber bumpers:
http://www.geocities.com/itsonlypinball/

On my IJ I know I have just a single rubber ring though-probably 3/4" off the top of my head (like this one:
http://ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1267&picno=9435

Take your pick as to what you prefer.:D

PS: Will post package tomorrow.:cool:

AskJacob
28th May 2008, 12:12 AM
The rubber ring database page seems to indicate that they use 2 3/16" rubber bumpers:
http://www.geocities.com/itsonlypinball/

On my IJ I know I have just a single rubber ring though-probably 3/4" off the top of my head (like this one:
http://ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1267&picno=9435

Take your pick as to what you prefer.:D

PS: Will post package tomorrow.:cool:

Thanks for the link... I'd forgotten all about that site. They even added the other ones I already knew were missing from my manual. As for the type of rings I'll use, I think I'll probably leave it to see what I have left :)

Thanks x 2 :D

AskJacob
8th June 2008, 06:13 PM
Ok so an update. Spent most of this dreary day fiddling and cleaning. Feeling kinda woozy from the smell of Brasso, and my hands feel 2 sizes too small from all the Novus #2 :)

Where I am now:

1 - mylar patch drop zones - will order soon
2 - replace drop targets with matching flush units - ordered
3 - replace slingshot plastics - Only LHS one is broken
4 - clean wire ramps - done - considering options on them
5 - replace legs (rusty) and feet - can't even loosen the levellers :(
6 - replace busted jackpot plastic - Nothing done about this sucker yet
7 - remove flipper switch hack, find some optos and put them back in - priced these but not ordered
8 - rebuild pop bumpers - new bodies, wafers, rings, yokes and caps - ordered these
9 - fix ruins (cracks/holes)
10 - replace missing screws in the gun - :unsure
11 - find a BiPlane somewhere :unsure
12 - Play!

5 - relamped the machine
7 - got new drop target decals (from a member here - thanks so much!!...)
8 - finish cleaning PF
9 - clean ball subway
10 - finish re-rubbering
11 - de-rusted and polished metal posts (with help from a member - thanks again!!)
12 - Updated CPU and SND Roms to current versions. Struggled through french menus to set it back to english...

So, there are some not so common bits I am looking for:

BIPLANE
SS RAMP PROTECTORS (on the jackpot ramp, the sheilds/protectors are missing!) - I don't want to leave it like that as the plastic will break bloody quick without it
LHS Sling plastic
Jackpot Plastic

If anyone has some spares kicking around, PM me

Pretty much all I can to has stopped now as I'm waiting for the parts to arrive to rebuild the pop bumpers, as they sit under the ramps...

Cheers

Shock_And_Awe
9th June 2008, 09:08 AM
Replace missing screws in thew gun?

If you're looking for the correct screws, you can get them from Pinbits....
http://pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=13_29&zenid=e3a6425b62534890905b74f95bf41be9

AskJacob
9th June 2008, 09:30 AM
Replace missing screws in thew gun?

If you're looking for the correct screws, you can get them from Pinbits....
http://pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=13_29&zenid=e3a6425b62534890905b74f95bf41be9

Thanks for that, I'd looked there before, but apart from being sold out, they are only the screws and washers - not the matching coupling screw/nut?

I'll keep an eye out there though as I may grab the plastic protector set :)

Cheers

Strangeways
11th June 2008, 01:46 PM
Outstanding. Thorough restore job there mate.. Very well done. Keep the updates coming.

Cheers

nino

LOTR4U
11th June 2008, 02:38 PM
Thanks for that, I'd looked there before, but apart from being sold out, they are only the screws and washers - not the matching coupling screw/nut?

I'll keep an eye out there though as I may grab the plastic protector set :)

Cheers

I think I may have these screws you are talking about.

Shock_And_Awe
11th June 2008, 03:36 PM
Ryan I think Jacob wants the ones that go through the gun from the sides and holds the 2 halves together and not the bolts that attach the gun to the cab. Is this right Jacob? Maybe you've got these ones too Ryan.

AskJacob
11th June 2008, 03:43 PM
Yep thats the ticket.. a bolt on one side, and a 'inverted' bolt on the other, with the thread inside a sleeve...

Bloody hard to describe...

Savage
11th June 2008, 03:54 PM
Yep, annoying, I need them too. I ended up buying bolts and screw from bunnings and cutting them down. Temp measure until I find a source. Will let you know if I do!

LOTR4U
11th June 2008, 03:56 PM
Yep thats the ticket.. a bolt on one side, and a 'inverted' bolt on the other, with the thread inside a sleeve...

Bloody hard to describe...

I definatley don't think I have those.

RetroBorg
12th June 2008, 07:09 PM
Ryan I think Jacob wants the ones that go through the gun from the sides and holds the 2 halves together and not the bolts that attach the gun to the cab. Is this right Jacob? Maybe you've got these ones too Ryan.

Are these them?

http://pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_29&products_id=284

http://pinbits.com/images/IMGP1595.JPG

LOTR4U
12th June 2008, 07:19 PM
Are these them?

I think I have some :unsure

AskJacob
12th June 2008, 11:42 PM
Are these them?

They are 1/2 the battle... thet don't have the 'opposite sex' bolts on the other side that are used instead of nuts...

AskJacob
17th June 2008, 12:07 PM
Dammit!

A nice big box of parts was waiting for me at home yesterday...

But I had to go out with SES training and didn't get home until 11:30

And now I'm bored here at work...

I think I finally have all the parts I need to have Indy PLAYABLE (not FINISHED :D) but can't do anything about it :cry

Damn I'm getting impatient. I think I better chill a bit. I don't want to stuff things up now just because I want to get it done...

Perhaps (cough cough) I can feel (sneeze) a cold coming on:badgrin

RetroBorg
17th June 2008, 12:49 PM

:lol

I think there's another thread there, who's had a sick for arcade game reasons?

I know my missus took a sickie the day I picked up my Galaxian cocktail table.

LOTR4U
17th June 2008, 03:04 PM
Dammit!

A nice big box of parts was waiting for me at home yesterday...

But I had to go out with SES training and didn't get home until 11:30

And now I'm bored here at work...

I think I finally have all the parts I need to have Indy PLAYABLE (not FINISHED :D) but can't do anything about it :cry

Damn I'm getting impatient. I think I better chill a bit. I don't want to stuff things up now just because I want to get it done...

Especially now you have new glides :) with white rubber stoppers :lol

AskJacob
17th June 2008, 03:07 PM
Especially now you have new glides :) with white rubber stoppers :lol

:lol If only that was all I needed:rolleyes

Probably another day or 2s work left I think:badgrin

AskJacob
18th June 2008, 01:50 PM
Well well well... While looking around the bumper region, I see something odd afoot up near the rollover lanes... To the right of the "Y" insert...

A hole that looks like it would enjoy the company of a GI lamp.

So, I hit up IPDB.org to see what is out there, and this is what I find:

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1267&picno=9438

So I'm missing a red rollover guide and a GI socket and lamp? Or are there machines out there that didn't have them?

Mine as it stands is attached as a pic with this post... It looks wrong to me - don't know why it didn't strike me as so while I was putting it back together... must have been tired:unsure

Dammit I thought I had everything I need... I'm really wearing down the patience at home with 3 orders so far this month...

felixthadog
18th June 2008, 02:17 PM
Well well well... While looking around the bumper region, I see something odd afoot up near the rollover lanes... To the right of the "Y" insert...

A hole that looks like it would enjoy the company of a GI lamp.

So, I hit up IPDB.org to see what is out there, and this is what I find:

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1267&picno=9438

So I'm missing a red rollover guide and a GI socket and lamp? Or are there machines out there that didn't have them?

Mine as it stands is attached as a pic with this post... It looks wrong to me - don't know why it didn't strike me as so while I was putting it back together... must have been tired:unsure

Dammit I thought I had everything I need... I'm really wearing down the patience at home with 3 orders so far this month...

What is the "Lost Plastic" that is referred to in that pic from IPDB? :unsure

Matthew

AskJacob
18th June 2008, 02:41 PM
What is the "Lost Plastic" that is referred to in that pic from IPDB? :unsure

Matthew

It is a large plastic that goes right at the back of the playfield. (Is there a special name for that "end board" that is present on most playfields?)

Was dropped early in production to save $$$ - machines that did not have the lost plastic just had painted black ply at the back, and are missing thesmall PCB with 3 GI lights (and the hole in the ply) on it that illuminated the plastic.

It used to be a big deal to get a machine with it, but now repros are everywhere.

Mine is an early production one if that matters, with a 'real' lost plastic and factory GI lighting... but it would look no different to a later one with the repro...

felixthadog
18th June 2008, 02:44 PM
It is a large plastic that goes right at the back of the playfield. (Is there a special name for that "end board" that is present on most playfields?)

Was dropped early in production to save $$$ - machines that did not have the lost plastic just had painted black ply at the back, and are missing thesmall PCB with 3 GI lights (and the hole in the ply) on it that illuminated the plastic.

It used to be a big deal to get a machine with it, but now repros are everywhere.

Mine is an early production one if that matters, with a 'real' lost plastic and factory GI lighting... but it would look no different to a later one with the repro...

Oh OK, I thought the "Lost Plastic" was the plastic you were missing next to the rollover lane :redface

Matthew

AskJacob
18th June 2008, 09:34 PM
Hate to be a pain and bump this, but could any Indy owners let me know what their machines are like compared to mine? - see post #42 - I'm wondering about the possible rollover and GI light...

Tonight is the only night I'll get some time to tinker until next week:confused:

Don't want to get too much back together if I need to get back into that area...

Sorry to pester :)

LOTR4U
18th June 2008, 09:43 PM
Looks ****ing sweet to me! :D your doing a great job with what you have to work with. man that machine was steaming pile till you worked some magic!

pinsanity
18th June 2008, 09:49 PM
Hate to be a pain and bump this, but could any Indy owners let me know what their machines are like compared to mine? - see post #42

Tonight is the only night I'll get some time to tinker until next week:confused:

Don't want to get too much back together if I need to get back into that area...

Sorry to pester :)

AJ on my machine:

Has a red lane guide in that location.

Has no lamp socket in that location. (on mine it is simply a hole there with no lamp holder)

RetroBorg
18th June 2008, 09:52 PM
AJ on my machine:

Has a red lane guide in that location.

Has no lamp socket in that location.

Same deal on mine.

AskJacob
18th June 2008, 09:57 PM
Thanks very much guys.

1st I wash the dishes, then off to the pinnie room :D

Anyone thought about seeing what a lamp in there would be like? My guess is pretty dim with that 'brick' plastic over the top... Probably why it's not there...

Cheers
Jacob

RetroBorg
18th June 2008, 10:03 PM
Thanks very much guys.

1st I wash the dishes, then off to the pinnie room :D

Anyone thought about seeing what a lamp in there would be like? My guess is pretty dim with that 'brick' plastic over the top... Probably why it's not there...

Cheers
Jacob

When I just checked mine I thought it must be missing too until I read pinball1974's post, I think I might put one in anyway, it was probably cut pre production like the Lost Plastic and stainless steel rails on the Path of Adventure.

Railways
18th June 2008, 10:17 PM
Same deal on mine. Just went and had a look at mine as well AJ and it's the same as the previous replies and my guess is itwas going to be lit to highlight the captive ball ruins but needed the red lane guide to direct the ball and if it was light through the red then the ruins plastic I'd say no-one would notice and if they did it would look average.

When I just checked mine I thought it must be missing too until I read pinball1974's post, I think I might put one in anyway, it was probably cut pre production like the Lost Plastic and stainless steel rails on the Path of Adventure. G'day RB, I never even knew there was a 4th lane guide tucked away and maybe if there was an ultra clear lane guide plastic variation to put there that could work as far as lighting up there -seems to be a bit dark anyway. Still thinking about the POAdventure LED'S - pretty dear for what they are bur agreed -very effective.

RetroBorg
18th June 2008, 11:37 PM
Still thinking about the POAdventure LED'S - pretty dear for what they are bur agreed -very effective.

Yep certainly looks nice, unfortunately probably not something I'm prepared to pay that much for.

Railways
18th June 2008, 11:57 PM
Yep certainly looks nice, unfortunately probably not something I'm prepared to pay that much for. Totally agreed-seems too far too much for a couple of LED strips but I'm not that far electronically advanced and maybe another AA member has another idea. We recently had a quote for a pool that involved LED lighting so I might follow him up(without the pool):D Just recieved IJ lost plastic from Wayne and still trying to mentally visualise the tie-in between the P/F, Sides and lost plastic without even thinking about spending all those dollars and when you add the LED'S you can't see the surrounds anyway. Still asking for all input- This is not pimp my pin:D

RetroBorg
19th June 2008, 12:02 AM
Totally agreed-seems too far too much for a couple of LED strips but I'm not that far electronically advanced and maybe another AA member has another idea. We recently had a quote for a pool that involved LED lighting so I might follow him up(without the pool):D Just recieved IJ lost plastic from Wayne and still trying to mentally visualise the tie-in between the P/F, Sides and lost plastic without even thinking about spending all those dollars and when you add the LED'S you can't see the surrounds anyway. Still asking for all input- This is not pimp my pin:D

Let us know if you come up with a nice backyard solution to the LED lights.

I recieved the IJ lost plastic from Wayne today and have just successfully completed installing it.
That's one hell of a feat from a pinny novice like me! :lol

pinsanity
19th June 2008, 06:03 PM
Let us know if you come up with a nice backyard solution to the LED lights.

I recieved the IJ lost plastic from Wayne today and have just successfully completed installing it.
That's one hell of a feat from a pinny novice like me! :lol

Well done retro..removing the backboard on some machines can be a real pain.:cool:

Now the next challenge....get the "SUNSET" light board that goes behind the lost plastic and install it.

How do you feel about sawing a hole in your IJ backboard?:o

RetroBorg
19th June 2008, 06:08 PM
Well done retro..removing the backboard on some machines can be a real pain.:cool:

Well you got me worried now because I didn't remove the backboard, hope I got installed right. :unsure

Now the next challenge....get the "SUNSET" light board that goes behind the lost plastic and install it.

How do you feel about sawing a hole in your IJ backboard?:o

I would like to have it illuminated but my carpentry skills are zero, so I think I'll pass on sawing a hole. :confused:

pinsanity
19th June 2008, 06:12 PM
Well you got me worried now because I didn't remove the backboard, hope I got installed right. :unsure

No worries, Im sure you got it right...I only took the backboard off on mine to cut the hole for the light board mentioned before. (which I did at the same time as the lost plastic installation):D

RetroBorg
19th June 2008, 06:16 PM
No worries, Im sure you got it right...I only took the backboard off on mine to cut the hole for the light board mentioned before. (which I did at the same time as the lost plastic installation):D

Have you cut your hole yet? If so I would love to see a picture.

Railways
19th June 2008, 06:23 PM

How do you feel about sawing a hole in your IJ backboard?:o G'day, could you tellme where you got the sunset light kit or do you just make one up out a globe and holder-thanks

pinsanity
19th June 2008, 06:46 PM
G'day, could you tellme where you got the sunset light kit or do you just make one up out a globe and holder-thanks

http://mrpinballa.cart.net.au/details/698827.html

TPF also has a jackpot light board which goes behind the speaker panel and lights up in sync with the Ark, Stones and Grail awards on the playfield. I will take some pics of mine to show the effect of it---(there is more wood cutting involved with this but it is worth it.)

Retroborg, will post some pics to my offsite photo gallery when I get a chance. Will message the website address when done.

I think we have well and truly hijacked AJ's resto thread. PM me if you need any further details/questions.

RetroBorg
19th June 2008, 07:07 PM
Retroborg, will post some pics to my offsite photo gallery when I get a chance. Will message the website address when done.

Thanks mate.

I think we have well and truly hijacked AJ's resto thread. PM me if you need any further details/questions.

I guess it has been hijacked a bit, sorry Jacob. :lol

Shock_And_Awe
19th June 2008, 08:05 PM
I did both light kit mods to mine and I just like it because it was kind of meant to be that way originally. I've got the cutting templates and instructions for both kits. If anyone needs them, let me know because for some reason they don't come with the kits anymore for some reason.
I also recommend the motorised prop mod, that is really cool imo.

LOTR4U
19th June 2008, 10:47 PM
I also recommend the motorised prop mod, that is really cool imo.

How did you fit it? was it hard? :unsure

Savage
19th June 2008, 10:54 PM
Just regarding the roll over light, mine has the red lense and bulb, I guess I shouldn;t be surprised as when I got it it also had the lost plastic and light kit already fitted....
Unfortunatly my header pin for the back GI is broken so can't coment on lighting...

PS, also got same mods as Shock_And_Awe, and the motorsied prop is cool, painted mine wood colour like in the movie!

Shock_And_Awe
20th June 2008, 07:35 AM
How did you fit it? was it hard? :unsure

It was easy but a bit fiddly. I managed to fit mine so I think that says it all :D I wired the prop to come on with the left ramp arrow.

hamish_nz
20th June 2008, 07:48 AM
http://www.pinballuniverse.com/biplaneinstructions.htm

Ive got one on the way for my new indy :D

Gav
20th June 2008, 08:06 AM
I wired my prop mod to the Start dogfight flasher. Doesn't come on all that often but really suits the mode.

Savage
20th June 2008, 08:45 AM
Bit hard to tell, but I got the prop that looks more like the one from the movie
http://www.aussiearcade.com/photopost/data/542/medium/DSCF0702_1024x768_.JPG

AskJacob
20th June 2008, 12:57 PM
I guess it has been hijacked a bit, sorry Jacob. :lol

Hijack away - it's all interesting to me!

hamish_nz
20th June 2008, 01:05 PM
I am thinking of doing something like this.

I am going to scout out some model shops

AskJacob
20th June 2008, 01:10 PM
Totally agreed-seems too far too much for a couple of LED strips but I'm not that far electronically advanced and maybe another AA member has another idea.

Hmm this looks might interesting as a starting point:

http://www.oztion.com.au/buy/auction.aspx?itemid=3754714

I may just have to get some ordered and see where it leads :)

EDIT: I have ordered 2 strips. lets see how this goes :)

RetroBorg
20th June 2008, 02:29 PM
Hijack away - it's all interesting to me!

Perhaps you should change the title of your thread to "Pimp my Indy". :D

Hmm this looks might interesting as a starting point:

http://www.oztion.com.au/buy/auction.aspx?itemid=3754714

I may just have to get some ordered and see where it leads :)

EDIT: I have ordered 2 strips. lets see how this goes :)

This looks to be a much cheaper option, look forward to seeing how it looks.

Railways
22nd June 2008, 06:45 PM
Yep , They look like they'll do the job and for the price what is there to loose?. I've ordered a pair as well. Thanks for the lead AJ.(no pun intended:D)

AskJacob
24th June 2008, 12:12 AM
Where I am now:

1 - mylar patch drop zones - Have these, will put on nearly last
2 - replace drop targets with matching flush units - Just done it :)
3 - replace slingshot plastics - Think I have a lead on a 2nd hand one
4 - clean wire ramps - done - considering options on them (Still :))
5 - replace legs (rusty) and feet - can't even loosen the levellers - Yuck I still hate them
6 - replace busted jackpot plastic - Think I may have one sorted
7 - remove flipper switch hack, find some optos and put them back in - priced these but not ordered - still
8 - rebuild pop bumpers - Nearly done - they look great
9 - fix ruins (cracks/holes) - still to go
10 - replace missing screws in the gun - still to go
11 - find a BiPlane somewhere
12 - Play!

----

Spent a fair whack of time faffing about with the single drop target. Replaced this one with the new one (And new decal) so the 3 bank will have all 3 targets that are the same age. Man it is fiddly getting it all back together with all the wires attached! Especially that bloody microswitch...

A bit of corrosion, and some crusty old lube was involved, so a lot of cleaning was needed. A new coil sleeve put in too. Now it is smooth and fast! Before this, it would go down slowly like a lift :)

Pop bumpers are finished up top, I need to re-solder the lamp sockets and then put the bottom side back together. New sleeves, yokes and rings were also put in, as well as bases, wafers, bodies and caps. They look very nice now.

A big thumbs up for the Big Bag O Everything from www.pinball.com - it has been damn handy to have those screws and nuts handy.

My feet are tired, and I'm tired, so I'm off to bed before I break something (like I did a while ago and snap off a spoon from a bumper switch)

Found I have a reasonable stock of coil sleeves, but none of the flipper style so have ordered a few.

My biggest news of course is that I have ordered a cab decal set:D

Cheers
Jacob

Ballypinball
24th June 2008, 12:31 AM
dont forget ruins and a lost plastic and new side rails and those nice brass legs
o and a new Gun Handle??

What was that yes new Gun Handles in Black Zinc, Chrome and Gold

due in a few weeks

ps i have some new misc IJ plastics as well

Gav
24th June 2008, 07:37 AM
dont forget ruins and a lost plastic and new side rails and those nice brass legs
o and a new Gun Handle??

due in a few weeks

Excellent

spacies
24th June 2008, 07:52 AM
FYI, you can buy that LED strip @ Supercheap.
I have a green one on my JP behind the Trex and Raptor pit.

With the release of the new movie there is bound to be some very cool Indy toys in the toy shops. Maybe there are some Bi planes already made?

*edit* Yep http://www.hasbro.com/indianajones/default.cfm?page=Products/Detail&product_id=21819

AskJacob
24th June 2008, 08:54 AM
FYI, you can buy that LED strip @ Supercheap.
I have a green one on my JP behind the Trex and Raptor pit.

With the release of the new movie there is bound to be some very cool Indy toys in the toy shops. Maybe there are some Bi planes already made?

*edit* Yep http://www.hasbro.com/indianajones/default.cfm?page=Products/Detail&product_id=21819

Hey wow! I wonder what size it is? And I wonder if there will be a matching mesherschmitt (or however the hell its spelled)

o and a new Gun Handle??

due in a few weeks

:D

Man I just ordered a decal set - thats my pinnie budget for quite a while yet!

Brass legs : one day
Gun Handle : ehhh not too sure - mine is still a gun handle...
Lost Plastic : Came with it :)
Side rails : yeah - but if they are brass. They will have to wait until I can afford some, and not until I'm up to putting the cab decals on:cool:

Railways
24th June 2008, 07:30 PM
I'm still on the hunt for your biplane- haven't given up yet.

o and a new Gun Handle??

due in a few weeks

ps i have some new misc IJ plastics as well Could you tell me if the gold gun is gold or brass plated and will to match the leg kits and some idea of cost as i'm looking at getting my existing gun powdercoated black/grey gunmetal colour??

Ballypinball
24th June 2008, 08:10 PM
standard will be $99 for the pair Black Zinc Plated as original
Chrome and Brass same finish as the Legs $149

All sets inc Matching mounting hardware

Railways
24th June 2008, 09:01 PM
$149 for brass plus postage + handling, Might have to sleep on that one for 1 or 2 nights.

felixthadog
24th June 2008, 09:07 PM
Might have to sleep on that one for 1 or 2 nights.

Nah, just put them on your machine :p

Matthew

wonder1
25th June 2008, 08:52 AM

due in a few weeks

can you let us no when you do get them Wayne as i require one.

thanks

I'm still on the hunt for your biplane- haven't given up yet

have a second hand one if you need

cheers

AskJacob
26th June 2008, 10:12 AM
Stuff left to do:

1 - mylar patch drop zones - Have these, will put on nearly last
2 - Rebuild 3 bank drop targets
3 - Rebuild flippers
4 - Rebuild kickers
5 - clean wire ramps - done - considering options on them (Still )
6 - replace legs (rusty) and feet - can't even loosen the levellers - Yuck I still hate them. Now after seeing brass in the flesh I HAVE to go that way...
7 - remove flipper switch hack, find some optos and put them back in - priced these but not ordered - still
8 - fix ruins (cracks/holes) - still to go
9 - replace missing screws in the gun - still to go
10 - Play!

----

Bumpers underneath have been completed. Biggest pain was re-threading the metal strip wires from the sockets. I only lifted the staples a bit when I removed them, so I could just thread them back and tap them back down. Wasn't as easy as I thought, but some o-ring picks and pliers made an OK job of it. These guys needed: the brackets cleaned of corrosion, plungers filed back on the ends and polished, new sleeves, new locknuts all round and new metal yokes. They feel much better!

Have added to the list:

Rebuild Flippers - that's a given for any machine, especially this one, with one side sprung pre-fliptronic style! - means the flippers are uneven when flipped up...

Rebuild Kickers - one of them moves like it is filled with molasses

My biggest news now is that I have found a BiPlane (thanks Wonder1!)

next post will have some pictures - work so far hasn't really made a huge visible difference :)

------------------
Rubber Question:

Are there 2 different lengths for rubber sleeves? Because some of them sit higher on the posts and don't look right to me - even though the sleeve rubbers I have are all the same size?
-----------------

Cheers
Jacob

Strangeways
26th June 2008, 10:20 AM
"Underneath the bumpers" - I usually replace the bumper globe sockets with the newer style - the ones that have wires instead of exposed legs. You just cut the wires to size and solder them back in. I have a small staple gun to secure the wires away from moving parts. It's a heap of work removing the old sockets and then re installing the same ones all over again.

Bumpers, slings and kickers all work sooooo much better after a rebuild.

I'm sure your game will play like new when finished :)

AskJacob
26th June 2008, 10:26 AM
"Underneath the bumpers" - I usually replace the bumper globe sockets with the newer style - the ones that have wires instead of exposed legs. You just cut the wires to size and solder them back in. I have a small staple gun to secure the wires away from moving parts. It's a heap of work removing the old sockets and then re installing the same ones all over again.

Bumpers, slings and kickers all work sooooo much better after a rebuild.

Yep, I've seen those, and next time I need to get in there that's what I'd do. I doubt the metal strips would really handle another go without snapping from fatigue anyway :D

Second bonus : no collection of little slices on your fingers like I have now - the edges of those strips are sharp!

AskJacob
26th June 2008, 01:20 PM

I'm aiming for better than new:D:rolleyes

Strangeways
26th June 2008, 01:27 PM
I'm aiming for better than new:D:rolleyes

That's EXACTLY what I aim for :)

N.I.B = New In Box

N.I.B = Nearly In Box (after resto) :cool:

Railways
26th June 2008, 10:16 PM
Pleasure to meet you AJ and see 1st hand the considerable work that you've done so far on the playfield and it's turning up a treat. Without pissing in AJ's pocket too much the condition of the game to start with must have been only average and progress is better than AJ describes as this is going to be one nice IJ once the cabinet is done as well . :)

Nah, just put them on your machine :p

Matthew Already got the legs but the "gun" price is a bit scary considering it would great by it self but with a black door maybe not.The other alternative is to have a brass door as well but would be wayyyyy over the top.

AskJacob
27th June 2008, 09:42 AM
Just received my Cabinet decals about 15 minutes ago.:038:

I couldn't help myself and had to unroll them and have a look.

Nice!

Packed really well, and came real quick. Thanks Wayne! (Mr Pinball Australia/The Pinball Factory).

Cheers

Ballypinball
27th June 2008, 09:07 PM
Don't want to hijack your thread

I will just say you are Welcome

AskJacob
29th June 2008, 04:32 PM
.... in a limping around in circles kind of alive, that is...

Had my first playtest today... first time I have had a go on the machine since I bought it oh so long ago.

Mainly to find the bugs so far. Here is what I have:

1 - Plug in all the ramp harnesses dopey:redface
2 - Connect right deflector spring
3 - fix the 3 bank reset issue - I think i put it back together wrong - the 3 fingers on the reset plate can 'miss' the droptargets
4 - I really need to level this poor machine
5 - Ball got trapped in the subway. Argh! A bit annoying to get in there:x
6 - Pop bumper light out already!
7 - flipper hack on right hand side looks mighty close to hitting the ball launch solenoid plunger - that will be trouble...

Oh well, gotta go out tonight:rolleyes so more later...

Railways
29th June 2008, 08:26 PM

Had my first playtest today... first time I have had a go on the machine since I bought it oh so long ago.

3 - fix the 3 bank reset issue - I think i put it back together wrong - the 3 fingers on the reset plate can 'miss' the droptargets
7 - flipper hack on right hand side looks mighty close to hitting the ball launch solenoid plunger - that will be trouble...

Oh well, gotta go out tonight:rolleyes so more later... Onya AJ - We have life on planet Indy - #4&5 related? and #7 aren't you going to fit flipper optos any way which will probably take of that. On mine for some reason some cowboy had remounted the R/H flipper opto at an angle and actually did foul the solenoid and at times made the flipper stick on because the opto wafer wasn't returning to rest position.Great to see you've got power up

AskJacob
30th June 2008, 12:50 AM

Oh well, gotta go out tonight:rolleyes so more later...

OK so I can't go to bed without some of this out:

1 - Did that before I left :)
2 - Done
3 - Fixed - had the washers on the wrong side on the bottom of the guide pins
4 - Can't move the levellers - they are rusted solid. The legs actually twist if I try hard enough - I don't want to go any harder. These legs gotto go.
5 - DONT PUT IT BACK THE WAY YOU GOT IT. The Jackpot/PoA ramp screws were far too long. The RHS screw was stopping the ball!!! Correct sized ones now in place
6 - Meh later
7 - biggest fear is somehow managing to put 50v though the logic of the fliptronics. These need to go, and the optos put in...

Oh, and no chance to try it this late now:cool:

Off to sleep now... And a pic thrown in to show how its looking right now

Cheers
Jacob

Skybeaux
30th June 2008, 08:26 AM
It's looking really nice now Jacob!:)
You wouldn't think it was the same machine...so much cleaner now.:lol

Strangeways
30th June 2008, 08:30 AM
Outstanding work Jacob. Look at that playfield shine :038:

LOTR4U
30th June 2008, 08:39 AM
looking great mate!

:D

AskJacob
30th June 2008, 09:39 AM
What is left to do:

1 - Rebuild flippers
2 - Rebuild kickers
3 - Do something with those wire ramps
4 - replace legs (rusty) and feet - can't even loosen the levellers - Yuck I still hate them. Now after seeing brass in the flesh I HAVE to go that way...
5 - remove flipper switch hack, find some optos and put them back in - priced these but not ordered - still
6 - fix ruins (cracks/holes) - still to go
7 - replace missing screws in the gun - still to go
8 - Play!
9 - Play some more
10 - repair cab, and decal it!

---------------------

Now for some not so great news...

This machine was bought sight unseen on ebay in January 2006 - during arguably the hey-day of premium IJ prices. At the time it was a "steal" as it was listed poorly and didn't gather much attention...

I bought it as it was a highly desireable machine for my wife and I, and it appeared to be a reasonable specimen. I was sure I would have been capable of fixing any issues that came up.

It was sold as working... but when my brother (who knows nothing about pins) went to pick it up, it served up 2 balls right away, then did the no effort multiball trick. No problems, I tell him, common trough opto issue.

My brother truly busted a gut picking it up for me, and taking it back to his house (did I mention I'm in Sydney and the machine I bought was in Brisbane?) where it lived untouched for 2 years.

I finally had a chance to go up, see family and bring home the indy this Feb. I spent a few days looking over the machine with some dwindling optimism as I took note of all the issues (as listed in this thread already)...

The big one is that the cabinet is in poor shape. The auction made a point about how unfaded the cab is compared to other Indies. While that was quite true, what it failed to mention is that there is a chunk missing from the front of the machine, A line of screw holes along the right side of the machine (?? A shelf attached or something ??) and the most significant fact:

The machine has been dropped. There is no other way to explain the condition - every corner joint is cracked wide open, and the machine isn't square. To lock the playfield tabs into the lockdown bar is nearly impossible because they don't line up. The leg bolt plates are basically holding it together.

Being the trooper I am :D I considered the cabinet for a long time. I was a bit concerned about getting cab decals, as they were pricey, and I was wondering what they would be like in 5 years. Will they fade too? Is it just a vanity item really? If the machine is in a lineup with others will I care or notice?

2 things pushed me over the edge: Wayne's 20% off sale, and the fact that I can repair the cab properly without worrying about screw holes or filler being visible, and fix it properly.

So, with buyer beware and all that, to be honest after thinking this through, I decided that I was still happy with what I had. We finally had an IJ, and I like working with my hands and boy what a project. Was it a bargain? Well, at the time, probably. I paid $3105 for it. For all I know they guy I bought it from is a member here (Hi!). No ill will at all - this is my machine! Today I think that money could go further on a better maintained machine, but :unsure

I think I will be honest with what this cost in parts (can't account for the time though sorry:badgrin) so anyone who wants to try a sight unseen purchase can see what this cost me. I don't think I'd break even of a sale, but dammit I'm sure gonna have a nice IJ sometime soon:cool:

Whew! I'm off for a coffee (and some work :))

Oh and thanks for the positive words guys - that's payback for the work already...

Foot
30th June 2008, 05:39 PM
The playfield has come up a treat. You should be very pleased it!

AskJacob
30th June 2008, 11:24 PM
Just jumping back in here....

Just had my 1st Real game. Popped it :) (Don't think it counts 'cos I can't level it at the moment)

Man I'm pretty darned happy right now. This has been a long time coming!

Still work to do,but its already paying off!!

All the switches are working!

Found 3 lamps out but that's no biggie.

Diverter - OK!

PoA - Works a treat! - even with the flipper hack (which suprises me no end...)

Trough, launcher OK!

Mode Saucer OK!

Display and Sound - Great!

Have found the ball wants to leave the left wireform now and then, but until I level the machine no point chasing it as it may not be a problem...

Now I can't play it any more as it is tempting fate to break the left ramp without those SS protectors. Found someone who is trying to hook me up with some SS so I can knock some up...

WooHoo!!:bunny:

Strangeways
1st July 2008, 08:46 AM
Great achievement, Jacob. It is always a "blast" to play the game right after a restore.. When you get a chance, please post more pix ?

AskJacob
1st July 2008, 09:14 PM
Where the wireforms mount above the slings... how do they stack up?

At the moment mine are setup as

(top down)

locknut
washer
wireform
locknut
sling

The locknut above the sling seems to make the wireforms sit too high...

should it be:

locknut
washer
wireform
washer
sling
??

I have trolled the IJ websites and IPDB, none of the pics let me see the detail properly :(

Any help appreciated!

Cheers

Strangeways
1st July 2008, 10:45 PM
Where the wireforms mount above the slings... how do they stack up?

At the moment mine are setup as

(top down)

locknut
washer
wireform
locknut
sling

The locknut above the sling seems to make the wireforms sit too high...

should it be:

locknut
washer
wireform
washer
sling
??

I have trolled the IJ websites and IPDB, none of the pics let me see the detail properly :(

Any help appreciated!

Cheers

The latter is always the case - no need for a second nut.

:)

Sometimes - especially on DEs - there is a thin small washer between the top of the post, and the plastic.

AskJacob
1st July 2008, 10:48 PM
Thanks for that. The reason I'm a bit paranoid about using the washers is I don't want the wireforms to deform the slings. My old slings had imprints of the old wireforms in them!

And now, may I present:

A new pic.

With something new.

Thanks to Wonder1!

A Biplane!:041::041:

So much closer...

Note those crooked flippers... They are still on the do do list... but they weren't that crooked until I play tested...

Strangeways
1st July 2008, 11:00 PM
Thanks for that. The reason I'm a bit paranoid about using the washers is I don't want the wireforms to deform the slings. My old slings had imprints of the old wireforms in them!

And now, may I present:

A new pic.

With something new.

Thanks to Wonder1!

A Biplane!:041::041:

So much closer...

Note those crooked flippers... They are still on the do do list... but they weren't that crooked until I play tested...

whenever I see wireform directly on a sling (or other plastic) I just install a washer out of habit..

Nice picture !!

Adjust those flippers :lol:lol

AskJacob
1st July 2008, 11:09 PM
whenever I see wireform directly on a sling (or other plastic) I just install a washer out of habit..

Nice picture !!

Adjust those flippers :lol:lol

:) They are getting rebuilt. Adjusting is for wusses :)

AskJacob
26th July 2008, 05:42 PM
Ok it has been a while.

Got sick of scouring the web and having to pay excessive shipping for my PoA ramp protectors...

So I decided I's make my own. Asked around and got a scrap piece of SS 1.2mm thick. Interesting to note that this SS raw had no grain.

Cut out the shapes after mucking around with paper templates for a while, using about 8 cutting disks on my dremel knock off. I ended up killing the knockoff as the whole shaft and bearing assembly fell out :(. One day I hope to get a real Dremel...

Then used a stepped drill to drill the holes. Never used one before - heard they are really good for sheet metal. Bloody oath they are, didn't try to turn the piece I was drilling into a whirling blade of death, and made a smoooooth cut.

Oil important with SS, it hates being worked!

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc5/askjacob/ramp%20protectors/DSC03243.jpg

So here they are prior to tidying up the holes and bending:

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc5/askjacob/ramp%20protectors/DSC03244.jpg

Bent and in the process of 'graining' the SS:

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc5/askjacob/ramp%20protectors/DSC03245.jpg

And installed in my Indy:

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc5/askjacob/ramp%20protectors/DSC03246.jpg

Whew, another thing off the list!

Cheers
Jacob

Foot
26th July 2008, 09:21 PM
Nice work, is that blood on the block of wood?

AskJacob
26th July 2008, 09:27 PM
:lol no not blood, it's red stain...

Cheers

Strangeways
26th July 2008, 11:35 PM
Great innovation there Jacob !

:cool:

johnwartjr
26th August 2008, 12:11 AM
Good read, thanks! Enjoyed following your project and a very nice progression from start to finish!

Once my current project is finished, I have 4 IJs in line to be done.