PDA

View Full Version : Can't frigging believe it

Savage
25th May 2006, 10:58 PM
My Xbox to Jamma set-up using an Jpac and Xbox adpater from Ultimarc has f*cked for a second time.

1st time was from day dot the player one controller not working, Andy from Ultimarc sent me out a new one. Problem fixed.

Since then it's been fine, went to have a game tonight and no controls were working, picture and souund only. I went to hook it up to my note book to see what the go was, and noticed a god-awful stentch, and hooking it to the pc didn't help, and directly plugging a keyboard into the Ipac couldn't get it working!.

So I've sent an email off again to Andy, this I must say p*sses me off, especially when working oine day, the next fried! and nothing had changed!

Sorry had to vent!

Viper
30th May 2006, 11:39 AM
Which was it, the X-Box adaptor or the J-PAC?

humpalot
1st July 2006, 07:59 AM
I know where you are coming from, my jpac died last night :cry after 3 years of faithful service. The thing shorted itself and made a nice toxic smell. This is the motivation for me to ditch the MAME setup in this cabinet and restore it back to an original Neo :D

Savage
1st July 2006, 08:30 AM
1st time it was th xbox adapter, this time the jpac and still ongoning. I've now sent it back the Ulitmarc

Arcade King
1st July 2006, 10:59 AM
might be time to change brands aye?

sneek
1st July 2006, 09:52 PM
This is concerning.

Hmm... Anyone have a reliable setup ?

Im thinking about this soon.

Prof
3rd July 2006, 08:12 AM
Hmmm.

I'd be looking at the power side.

All grounds tied together?? Anything able to spike the system?

Never really seem any problems with these in rgvac.

Savage
3rd July 2006, 03:32 PM
I did a resistance test from monitor chassis to earth on power plug and was really good, around .02
I did ask Andy from Ultimarc about disconnecting the voltages from the Jamma harness when connected to the Jpac. This was his response:
There are 2 reasons for this, firstly these voltages can blow the J-PAC if
the JAMMA connector is plugged in backwards. Second, it's always better to
disable the game board power supply otherwise it's sitting there running
with no loading on it and some power supplies don't like this and can
overheat.

It's not a vitally necessary step though.

No chance of getting it backwards, as all my connecters have a notch in them to prevent being put in backwards!

When I get mined either fixed or replaced, I'll by a Jamma harness (extender) and just cut the power wires and use this dedicated for the Jpac, just in case!.

Unfortunately there is no alternative, except for the timemaster which I have, does a great job with excellent picture quality (better than jpac) and audio through jamma, but alas cannot configure the buttons, which is the biggest issue!.

Prof
4th July 2006, 06:00 PM
Hmmm, why not use that and get a seperate keyboard encoder for the input? I've seen them on the net before, so they are around

IIRC, the last one i saw had 80 seperate inputs with no ghosting.

Check the mame newsgroups, I'm sure they would now where you could get ann encoder.

Savage
5th July 2006, 07:21 PM
I was thinking that, but hate the fact a permanent timer is displayed on screen even when at zero seconds.... Alos that would require even more work ;)

Update: heard back from Andy and apparently I put the main chip in the wrong way around. This has got me baffled as (well I thought) I followed the instructions on what direction the chip should face, although it heated up I still got a picture,, so I'm wondering if put in the wrong way should you get a picture at all?

Anyway he said he'll test it and get back to me.. Fingers crossed it's the Jpac at fault not my arcade wiring, which I doubt its the arcade wiring!>

Savage
19th July 2006, 03:04 PM
Update...
Ok apparently I put the main chip in backwards {blushes :redface } this was after Andy had a look into it, doh. I did however, bridge with wire the small resister that was burnt previously, as newer model don't even use this..

Also got confirmation from Joey from Joemac and this is what he had to say about the monitor / chassis .... "You are ok with that chassis mate , it is a freevoltage auto sensing type with built in Isolation transformer"

Sweet, so the original problem wasn't caused by me, I'm still waiting fir the Jpac and will see how long it last this time (fingers crossed)

Shock_And_Awe
19th July 2006, 09:11 PM
good luck with it all mate! You really deserve it after all this!

Savage
19th July 2006, 09:33 PM
Well it arrived today, yea ha.. After opening it, its a new unit...So I re programed it, tested it and works 100%, checked temperature of the main chip and barley got warm. Makes me wonder if the first one was a tad dodgy!

Only gripe (minor) I have now is, like before the picture isn't 100% sharp, it's more noticable when you see vertical lines in that they seem to shake, any suggestions on a fix for that? Also noticable on greys the colour doesn't seem to be stable?