PDA

View Full Version : intermittent display problem

huds
23rd April 2008, 08:55 AM
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone else has had a simular experience?

I have an intermittent problem with my monitor displaying a black screen with randomly positioned horizontal lines appearing and disappearing. The horizontal lines appear to show colours of the game or front-end or what ever application the monitor was displaying before the fault occurs. The horizontal lines seem to be in the correct location and correct colours.

If this occurs during game play, the game and controls seems to continue to operate correctly and the sound is also unaffected. likewise with windows or any other app using keyboard and mouse.

This problem last between 10sec and 3mins. It will return to normal most of the time but continue to produce the fault randomly. I have not let this go on for more then 3min continually before shut everything down and restarting. After the restart everythign appears normal and may not occur for rest of my gaming session.

I am running Atomis FE, MAME 1.24, Soft15k at 640x480.

From what i can determin this is caused by 1 (or more)of 3 things. Nvidia MX440 video card combined with Soft15k, JPAC or monitor/chassis.

I'll see if I can get a photo tonight. In the mean time does anyone have any ideas?

thanks,
Huds.

maxpower
23rd April 2008, 09:21 AM
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone else has had a simular experience?

I have an intermittent problem with my monitor displaying a black screen with randomly positioned horizontal lines appearing and disappearing. The horizontal lines appear to show colours of the game or front-end or what ever application the monitor was displaying before the fault occurs. The horizontal lines seem to be in the correct location and correct colours.

If this occurs during game play, the game and controls seems to continue to operate correctly and the sound is also unaffected. likewise with windows or any other app using keyboard and mouse.

This problem last between 10sec and 3mins. It will return to normal most of the time but continue to produce the fault randomly. I have not let this go on for more then 3min continually before shut everything down and restarting. After the restart everythign appears normal and may not occur for rest of my gaming session.

I am running Atomis FE, MAME 1.24, Soft15k at 640x480.

From what i can determin this is caused by 1 (or more)of 3 things. Nvidia MX440 video card combined with Soft15k, JPAC or monitor/chassis.

I'll see if I can get a photo tonight. In the mean time does anyone have any ideas?

thanks,
Huds.

I have never seen this before sorry. Sounds like video card / driver. Can you try it without soft15k? Never used this.

felixthadog
23rd April 2008, 09:24 AM
Buy yourself an ArcadeVGA card ;)

Matthew

Davefjedi
23rd April 2008, 09:29 AM
huds please don't double post I have removed the double post as this one had answers already

huds
24th April 2008, 05:35 PM
i'll get the pics up in 5 mins

opm881
24th April 2008, 06:18 PM
5 mins was 42 mins ago ;D

huds
24th April 2008, 06:44 PM
i cant believe you waited an timed it.

huds
24th April 2008, 06:53 PM
ok, heres the story in pictures.

huds
24th April 2008, 06:54 PM
the fault shown in the middle pic can last for 3sec-3mins

anyone got any ideas on how to resolve it?

felixthadog
24th April 2008, 08:22 PM
the fault shown in the middle pic can last for 3sec-3mins

anyone got any ideas on how to resolve it?

I also experienced this problem in my MAME cab, I found it to be a problem with a connection on the monitor chassis. If I pressed down on the connector, the screen went back to normal but it was pot luck if it stayed that way. I reseated the connector by bending a couple of the pins on the chassis and hey presto, no more problem :D

Matthew

opm881
24th April 2008, 09:01 PM
@huds i didnt time it, there is a thing that says how long ago the post was made >>

arcadus
24th April 2008, 09:32 PM
Looks like it's missing horizontal sync. Intermittent, suggests it may be a connector as Felixthedog said.
Have you tried the arcadetech #1 diagnostic procedure of tapping it on the side when it fails?:)