PDA

View Full Version : Who owns a 1000 in 1 Red Box? I have a question.

Syzlack
21st April 2008, 07:55 PM
I am about to get one of these red boxes and my question is wiring in the six button in the Jamma harness to the ground as shown in the red box tread.

Is this going to make it so I cant play standard jamma games that required the 6th button? I dont know, cant seem to get my head around it.

Do I splice the wire from the 6th button then attach it to the ground on the jamma harness as shown while keeping the original wiring for my normal pcs', cps boards? Hmmm:unsure

I hope my jibberish makes sense.

thecomps
21st April 2008, 08:34 PM
might ask dorian that one myself tomorrow as i have a red box installed but want to play other boards also, thanks

Syzlack
21st April 2008, 08:37 PM
Maybe I could make a clip for the 6th button so I just plug it in for when I play the 1xxx machine.
Does this make sense?

GameDude
22nd April 2008, 05:53 AM
OK
JAMMA as a standard only has buttons 1 2 and 3 supported.
Games that use more often had there own style of "kick harness"
It was called a kick harness because of Street Fighter series of games button 4 5 and 6 being the kick moves.
This harness has no standard and was often different from each manufacturer, Capcom, Midway and a few others for example.
The multi game PCB are the same, they all implement the "kick harness" different
On the red box they use unused pins on the JAMMA harness with the exception of "e" and "27" see link http://www.system16.com/jamma.php
Normally a ground it is reused on the red box so that buttons 4 5 and 6 are all on the one harness, Player 1 uses pins 25 26 and 27 for Player 1 buttons 4 5 and 6 respectively and Player 2 uses c d and e for Player 2 buttons 4 5 and 6 respectively.
So.... Just like any game that uses more than 3 buttons you will need to wire accordingly.
To answer the question about using other JAMMA games it should be fine as the Ground on all other JAMMA games will route button 6 Ground to Ground so its safe, you just need to wire the different "kick harness" for different systems and that can even be done for multiple styles all at the same time as long as only one is plugged in at a time.

Syzlack
22nd April 2008, 07:40 AM
Thanks Dorian,

This makes sense.

knight76
22nd April 2008, 10:15 AM
So basically just wire the buttons as normal but use the pins listed and ground them to another ground and that is it?

So player 2 uses the + and - 5v pins and Player 1 uses the NC, ground and button 4 pins? Then the button just return to a ground pin.

Syzlack
22nd April 2008, 01:18 PM
So basically just wire the buttons as normal but use the pins listed and ground them to another ground and that is it?

So player 2 uses the + and - 5v pins and Player 1 uses the NC, ground and button 4 pins? Then the button just return to a ground pin.

In the link that Game dude listed explains the setup.

Player 1 uses pins 25 26 and 27 for Player 1 buttons 4 5 and 6 respectively and Player 2 uses c d and e for Player 2 buttons 4 5 and 6 respectively.

I am going to wire a harness to the jamma plug then another harness from the 4,5 & 6 buttons p1 &p2 so when I change the 1000 in 1 to a normal game board I just disconnect the harness and everything should work as normal.

I hope I am giving the right advice as I havent received the red box yet.
If I find out different (or someone corrects me) I will notify or edit this post.

I tell you what, my cab is getting a bit untidy with all these different kick harnesses suiting cps1, cps2 and mortal kombat 1 & 2 as they have different wiring.

GameDude
22nd April 2008, 01:26 PM
Dont get confused with CAPITAL letters and lower case!!! look at the link and you will see what I mean.

thecomps
23rd April 2008, 08:14 PM
hey dorian how much to get one wired up to fit my machine?

Syzlack
27th April 2008, 03:58 PM
Do the ground pins in the jamma harness pin "e" and "27" have to have an earth wire? It does at the moment but I am wiring the red box harness in and want to move the wires as the red box needs them.
Jamma pinout http://www.system16.com/jamma.php
Can I move them to pins "f and "28" and will it be alright?

GameDude
29th April 2008, 04:37 AM
yes that will be fine, also see the other thread I answered as well

Syzlack
29th April 2008, 01:25 PM
Thanks Dorian, Legend.!!!!

Syzlack
30th April 2008, 06:11 PM
I have received my red box today, I plugged it in and the screen is scrambled.

Do i need to plug the jamma harness to the extra lead provided in this pic?
It is starting up and can hear the selection noises when moving the joysticks but picture is screwed.
I dont want to blow it up.

The instructions with this thing is terrible. Chinglish alright:lol