PDA

View Full Version : It's not pinball

hamish_nz
24th May 2006, 05:39 PM
http://www.pinballnews.com/news/video2.html

You cant beat the real thing !!!!!!!!!!!

The Pinny Parlour
24th May 2006, 05:43 PM
Looks interesting:

Black Night
Fun House
Fire Power
etc

I hope I get to see one

I saw a World Poker Tour pinny the other day but didn't get time to play it. maybe next time I'm at Sunnybank, Brisbane.

Ric
24th May 2006, 05:45 PM
at least the ball won't get stuck and the plastics won't crack

Savage
24th May 2006, 06:34 PM
To me the whole reason I like pinballs, is because it's real..
Physical stuff, not computer screen, that;s what makes them unique..
Still I guess it might be fun, undecided until I have a go!

staceyamusements
24th May 2006, 06:49 PM
SORRY FELLAS,i am old school.Nothing beats the real thing.

rottenpig
24th May 2006, 07:13 PM
yeah, not a fan either. i love playing pinballs and i mean 'real' pinballs.

i played world poker tour in the city, great fun. it's good to see the more open playfield (finally) and all the old school features like ball locks and drop targets really comming into play instead of just cramming them in for the sake of it.

OzStick
24th May 2006, 07:16 PM
I agree with you all, but the basic rules of business dictate that this is inevitable.

It is marketable beyond description and if they put it together in the right fashion it will be akin to the JAMMA 'revolution'. You will have generic cabinets with interchangeable games and once a game becomes 'old' in one location simply swap the gameboards over and away you go again.

And in 5 years time can you imagine how much your "real" pins will be worth??

Let the debate begin!

Cheers,
Chris

staceyamusements
24th May 2006, 07:43 PM
I agree with you all, but the basic rules of business dictate that this is inevitable.

It is marketable beyond description and if they put it together in the right fashion it will be akin to the JAMMA 'revolution'. You will have generic cabinets with interchangeable games and once a game becomes 'old' in one location simply swap the gameboards over and away you go again.

And in 5 years time can you imagine how much your "real" pins will be worth??

Let the debate begin!

Cheers,
Chris
Ghee Chris,you have just open the can of worms.Wotto gone kill you.Better run while you can.

Wotto
24th May 2006, 07:48 PM
Personally - I think it is an excellent idea, sure it AINT a RL pinball machine, but man you can run hundreds of tables on that and I have to tell you that unless you have played Vpinball with flipper buttons on sides of control panels it actually does feel pretty damn good ( again I repeat IT AINT a RL pin ) but how much closer can you get.

This is EXACTLY what I have been thinking about putting together for a few years, i could never get answers from the Vpin guys as to how to get the program running sideways on a plasma. Obviously they didnt want that type of info out there as this guy was already working on it.

As Ric said, the RL associated problems are gone, parts replacement is NOT an issue. LCD screens refresh rate is now down to something like 0.8milliseconds?? and burn in is not as big a problem as it used to be, so I would go for one.

You could play EVERY pin on this thing except for the Crocodile Hunter :lol :lol :lol

staceyamusements
24th May 2006, 08:05 PM
Personally - I think it is an excellent idea, sure it AINT a RL pinball machine, but man you can run hundreds of tables on that and I have to tell you that unless you have played Vpinball with flipper buttons on sides of control panels it actually does feel pretty damn good ( again I repeat IT AINT a RL pin ) but how much closer can you get.

This is EXACTLY what I have been thinking about putting together for a few years, i could never get answers from the Vpin guys as to how to get the program running sideways on a plasma. Obviously they didnt want that type of info out there as this guy was already working on it.

As Ric said, the RL associated problems are gone, parts replacement is NOT an issue. LCD screens refresh rate is now down to something like 0.8milliseconds?? and burn in is not as big a problem as it used to be, so I would go for one.

You could play EVERY pin on this thing except for the Crocodile Hunter :lol :lol :lol
Wotto.I shocked.Poor old Crocodile Hunter.Ha ha ha ha

RetroBorg
24th May 2006, 08:13 PM
Nothing will beat the reality of a real pinball machine but there's also a place for these sort of products too. I wouldn't mind one, I play pinmame quite often and would much rather play it in a cabinet like that.

Daring33
25th May 2006, 12:05 PM

Randy Davis (Creator of Visual Pinball) sold the rights to these guys so they could make their own changes to the code to get things like portrait mode to run etc.

Part of the deal was that when they have finished tweaking the code they would release it back to everyone at vpf, unfortunately they have to release back to Randy and then he will release to the community, and Randy doesn't show up very often so don't hold your breath.

All the history is available at VPforums.com

Daring33

hamish_nz
25th May 2006, 12:19 PM
A pinball machine is a mechanical device !!!!!!!!

I think it will be many years before Virtual Pinball will even come close
to the feel of the real thing. Maybe Never

Ric
25th May 2006, 12:43 PM
Nothing beats that real feeling, the warm glow of the globes through the plastic, the gentle sound of the ball rolling, the "thack" of the flippers, slings and pop bumpers.

The experience of pinball is the working parts, that it is a pinball MACHINE, a great hulk of electricity, wiring and parts all working together to produce an epxerience

I agree with Wotto that there is a place for this but no-one would trade their original BK for one of these

Would still like totry one of these out

Ric

Darksoul
25th May 2006, 03:58 PM
Nice idea for the masses, but nothing beats the clunk, thud, and the occasional sound of the ball smacking into the playfield glass. Besides, where is the skill of jolting the cabinet to save a ball going out of play, how would they replicate that.

Sorry, but for me Visual Pinball would be the same as eating a Visual hamburger - looks great but has no taste!:D