PDA

View Full Version : Legalities of charging for playing multi boards

knight76
21st April 2008, 11:28 AM
What is the deal with the legalities of charging people to play your arcade games.

For instance. If I can get a cab, put a 1000 in 1 or one of the other multi boards in it, can I then charge people to play the arcade games?

Also, is there a licence you can buy for Mame that allows you to use it as a paid game. Then the Roms would be your only worry. If you buy the game board can you then use the rom?

Finally, if you have a working machine with actual board etc, all legit, then you can charge for it cant you?

Just interested is all as I work at a place with 600 employees. So might be worth an investigation. We already have a SF2 cab here, but i could put another in and promise not to have any other fighting games of a similar genre so not to compete.

LOTR4U
21st April 2008, 11:33 AM
Legally is is illegal.

Practically, who cares. I would highly doubt anyone will be calling you to complain about there rights being breached. How do I know this? look on Ebay, they now don't pull multi game board auctions. Ebay being as big as it is that would be the first place a big company would go to and stop something they didn't like.

Hope that helps answer some of your questions.

Cheers

hamish_nz
21st April 2008, 11:42 AM
its only against the law if you get caught :D

Fish Tales
21st April 2008, 12:07 PM
gibberish lol

MadMikeAU
21st April 2008, 12:40 PM
Firstly its illegal. The ROMs themselves you should only really have if you have the pcb. This whole emulation thing is a bonus. Siting a MAME/xIn1 setup is a big no-no. Dont think MameDev care either way but the ROMs are owned by somebody. The fact that that somebody probably isnt gonna find out / do anything doesnt make it any less illegal.

Secondly, if there is a sited machine next to it, forget the whole idea. that means that some op has already made a site agreement with your company and will be damn pissy if ANY machine is put next to it as that means money not going into their pocket!!! ...and if its an illegal setup, the op WILL dob you in just to get your competing machine ****ed off.

knight76
21st April 2008, 12:59 PM
Well the SF2 machine that is here is completely bought and paid for by this company. So there is no rental agreement or anything with an external party.

I know it is all illegal, just wasnt sure on the 48 in 1 boards and the 1000 in 1 boards.

I could easily enough set up a cab all legit, and just swap game boards every now and then to keep things fresh, but that just limits me to jamma or Neo Geo etc.

Either way, it was just a thought. I doubt this place would want another arcade cab in there anyhow as they use the proceeds of the SF2 cab for staff BBQ's etc.

LOTR4U
21st April 2008, 02:15 PM
Secondly, if there is a sited machine next to it, forget the whole idea. that means that some op has already made a site agreement with your company and will be damn pissy if ANY machine is put next to it as that means money not going into their pocket!!! ...and if its an illegal setup, the op WILL dob you in just to get your competing machine ****ed off.

Who are they going to dob you into exactly? :unsure

Well the SF2 machine that is here is completely bought and paid for by this company. So there is no rental agreement or anything with an external party.

I know it is all illegal, just wasnt sure on the 48 in 1 boards and the 1000 in 1 boards.

I could easily enough set up a cab all legit, and just swap game boards every now and then to keep things fresh, but that just limits me to jamma or Neo Geo etc.

Either way, it was just a thought. I doubt this place would want another arcade cab in there anyhow as they use the proceeds of the SF2 cab for staff BBQ's etc.

Don't talk about it man just do it and enjoy! :lol

spacies
21st April 2008, 02:28 PM
I have had this conversation on other forums. I love winding up Yanks! Its a hobby.

The only company actively doing anything about multi boards is Midway, supposedly. They were getting machines pulled from ebay (USA) with multi boards installed and threatening legal action. Thats BS IMO. Midway etc should release these roms as public domain because they have made their money. There aren't many original boards out there still working compared to the 80s. They should stop whinging and jump on the wagon and release some multi PCBs of their own if they want money from them. All they do is give the OK to console companies to rewrite them for shit arse consoles. If they were so concerned why don't they go to Japan/China and find you who is making these? They are the only one making money.

As Cirqus says, 'who you gonna call'? And "what are they gonna do when they come for you?"

Without these boards and MAME, old games will die. Except die hard collectors.

Put up or shut up.

knight76
21st April 2008, 03:33 PM
Yeah, but with every new console that comes along and wants to release an arcade pack for retro gaming I am sure they make some nice cash for the licences.

If they release them into the public domain then all that is over i guess. Unless it is on the proviso that no commercial use, but that would undermine the sales of the console versions and thus, make less want to licence the games from them.

I agree though, without Mame these games would be a distant memory.

narf_
21st April 2008, 08:27 PM
well there was one sited for a while at a local fish and chip shop

the owners wanted it gone only cause it didnt work properly and had issues with the power supply (it was a new hanikin clone)

other than that they said it got some good $. Was set at 2 games for $1 :x

XiTaU
21st April 2008, 08:58 PM
2 games for $1 i'd pay that something to do while waiting for chips

NickD
21st April 2008, 09:01 PM
well there was one sited for a while at a local fish and chip shop

the owners wanted it gone only cause it didnt work properly and had issues with the power supply (it was a new hanikin clone)

other than that they said it got some good $. Was set at 2 games for $1 :x

really it was making good money? ive nearly finished a 48 in 1 lowboy and was thinking of selling it for a quick buck Vs Siting it, but i thought the retro games wouldn't apeal to too many people.

as for $1 for 2 games, thats pretty darn good, most of the machines around here a $2 for 1 credit!:unsure

knight76
21st April 2008, 09:16 PM
So, make up a game cab with just the old classics like frogger, pac man, galaga, galaxian, 10 yard fight, Street Fighter 2, mortal combat etc etc. Nothing people dont recognise to keep the browsing time down to choose a game.

Make it say, 20c a pop and watch the loose change start to pile up. Hmm, make a deal with the local popular fish and chip shop to site it there and split the profits 80/20. So they still score 20% of the take.

Or, just a street figter 2 cab, 1$ for two plays (get the multiplayer aspect) and collect them bucks.

vocalninja
21st April 2008, 10:13 PM
I reckon you won't make enough money for 1 joystick replacement before some punk kid hangs off the joysicks and fu<ks them up.

I'm trying to see the glass half full man.

Keep em away from fish and chips shops. Try a Pub maybe.

arcadus
22nd April 2008, 09:46 AM
Another aspect of the legalities is that you are supposed to have public liability insurance, at least $4million which costs around $800/year and an electrical/insulation test (with a tag) annually. I confess that I have two machines in a pub (was my local until I moved) and discussed that anything should happen it would be covered by his insurance. That sounds dodgy and probably is. :unsure. The barstaff and friends keep an eye on the machines and they are turned off every night. They only average $40 per week, it is a country pub and subject to seasonal use obviously the best time is Xmas/new year. I couldn't get better than a 50/50 deal because of the existing jukebox on the same deal, but an extra $ 1000/year is ok to maintain machines plus extra but pointless if I had to pay the insurance.

maxpower
4th May 2008, 08:41 AM
Just a quick note I found this website in Oz and read about what they say about making your money back. I think these sell for about $3000-$3500.

http://arcadetables.com.au/component/option,com_frontpage/Itemid,1/

narf_
4th May 2008, 08:48 AM
• intergalactic spaceship standard buttons—look good, feel right,work superbly battle after battle

:lol

maxpower
4th May 2008, 09:13 AM
Yeah they sure know how to wank it up.

Prof
4th May 2008, 03:21 PM
If the legalities are a worry, I don't think Dreamworld would have one in there arcade.

Ballypinball
4th May 2008, 03:44 PM
we sold A ttOP WITH mame to someone 2 years ago and they put it out on site
It got seized and they lost it

knight76
4th May 2008, 05:52 PM
I think the public liability would be the big worry.

Some dick pushes it over on someone and you wear the damages.

danny_galaga
4th May 2008, 06:04 PM
I have had this conversation on other forums. I love winding up Yanks! Its a hobby.

The only company actively doing anything about multi boards is Midway, supposedly. They were getting machines pulled from ebay (USA) with multi boards installed and threatening legal action. Thats BS IMO. Midway etc should release these roms as public domain because they have made their money. There aren't many original boards out there still working compared to the 80s. They should stop whinging and jump on the wagon and release some multi PCBs of their own if they want money from them. All they do is give the OK to console companies to rewrite them for shit arse consoles. If they were so concerned why don't they go to Japan/China and find you who is making these? They are the only one making money.

As Cirqus says, 'who you gonna call'? And "what are they gonna do when they come for you?"

Without these boards and MAME, old games will die. Except die hard collectors.

Put up or shut up.

im pretty sure midway still exists to hold the rights to their games. its up to them what they do with their IP. besides, didnt they actually have some games available for the 'hotrod' stick or summink? or was that capcom?

either way, its theirs to defend if they want...