PDA

View Full Version : Best MAME Frontend

opm881
20th April 2008, 11:30 PM
With getting the computer for my mame machine working and sent back to the coast this weekend, i thought i should ask, what is the best mame front end to use?

I am wanting something that not only looks good, but will allow me to run mame, nes, snes, sega(old school stuff, not dream cast), gba, gbc, n64 and ps1 from it, aswell as a good jukebox program. i was thinking game ex but some people have said it runs laggy at times. i will be using a 2ghz processor (would normally be 2.4 but for some reason runs as slow as my 400mhz amd processor running xp, but will try to fix that when i go back to the coast in 2 weeks), 1 gig of ram and 60 gigs of hdd space including windows xp home. i am wanting to just run the music for the jukebox via a shared music folder over the network which will be shared from my comp with my itunes folder. so yes, what do you guys think is best?

dmworking247
20th April 2008, 11:34 PM
My vote, Mala + DWJukebox (Wincab) for Jukebox (which you can launch from mala)

opm881
20th April 2008, 11:41 PM
yea its a win cab so dwjukebox sounds good, but mala looks like it wont let me boot other emulators from within it and when they exit, go back to mala

dmworking247
21st April 2008, 12:01 AM
Mala lets you run all sorts of emulators (and with a little fiddling, all sorts of apps that aren't even emulators).

What would you want it to exit to, if not the front end?

dezbaz
21st April 2008, 01:06 AM
I use Mame32, it's OK

But I am also looking. . .

Should be interesting what others think . . .

AdamC
21st April 2008, 05:13 AM
MALA will run anything u throw at it.

I use it in my mame cab and my jukebox.
In the juke its running a SKJukebox, Ultrastar Deluxe ... and GLTron.

dezbaz
21st April 2008, 08:12 AM
MALA will run anything u throw at it.

I use it in my mame cab and my jukebox.
In the juke its running a SKJukebox, Ultrastar Deluxe ... and GLTron.

So do you leave mame there and link it from MALA, or import all the ROMS from Mame to MALA?

dmworking247
21st April 2008, 08:58 AM
No Mala is just a front end, that gives you nice graphical menus and a consistent interface for whatever programs or emulators you run.

Eg I have one game list for all the MAME games with a picture of an arcade cabinet, one for all the gameboy games with a picture of the gameboy, and one for Music (guitar hero, singstar, jukebox etc) all appear as 'game choices' on that particular menu.

You go into the game/application, and when you press ESC you return to MALA. Optionally, if you press ESC in MALA, you can shut down the PC. You never need to see anything else.

opm881
21st April 2008, 09:37 AM
awesome, so mala is good? is it easy to skin?

BettyCrocker1942
23rd May 2008, 05:36 PM
Of all the frontend that I tried, I found MAMEWAH to be the best/easiest for what I use...
http://mamewah.mameworld.net/

It does a good job of setting up lists and I have it running a few different emulators such as Daphne.

The hardest part of any FE is finding a decent looking skin... alot of crud out there... :p

@lien_Zed
23rd May 2008, 06:35 PM
if you want the best of the best, you want GAMEEX

Gameex kicks arse in a big way.

Its a piece of piss to setup and supports damn near every console under the sun as well as plays dvds, cds, connect it to the net and get weather, news , online radios broadcasts, the works....

GAMEEX IS DA BOMB!!!!

get it here (http://www.gameex.net/)

Arcade King
23rd May 2008, 06:39 PM

Its a piece of piss to setup and supports damn near every console under the sun as well as plays dvds, cds, connect it to the net and get weather, news , online radios broadcasts, the works....

GAMEEX IS DA BOMB!!!!

+1 Tried em all GameEX is the best all in 1 solution for windows, no adding on crap to play vids and mp3s it does it all.

Brad
23rd May 2008, 07:37 PM
Yes but you pay the price in either money OR a 30 second delay then the performance hit especially if your machine isn't fairly new. I agree though it is a damn impressive frontend.

Brad

IMPURE
23rd May 2008, 08:20 PM
Virgil put me onto atomic fe which is great but i use mamewah on my machine and its awesome.

danny_galaga
23rd May 2008, 10:12 PM
i like atomic FE. when i get my cab down from darwin i will set it up with that (i just had mame32 on it)

Foot
23rd May 2008, 10:18 PM
I'm quite happy with Atomic on my old clunker cocktail. It just runs MAME only, vertical, no other emulators - simple. I didn't like the skins for multiple emulators.

From what I've of AK's set up on his "Entertainment Centre" with GameEx it looks the duck nuts. I just need to upgrade my PC to a faster one that'll hande GameEx then it will be going in :)

Col
24th May 2008, 01:40 AM
I use MameWah in my NeoGeo as I was advised it was the best. It is great with about 6,000 games and you operate it all from the buttons and the joysticks. To tinker with it occasionally I use a small all in one remote keyboard and mouse. Just makes it a bit easier.

I just had a look at GameEx which also looks great but is it what we want in an amusement machine? Hope so.

Does anyone know if once you set it up can you operate it from the buttons and joysticks only? If not, it's not what I want. I already have XBox with Media Centre on it that is networked to the PC in the garage so that I can play anything on the PC on the Media Centre in the rumpus room - movies photo slideshow etc.

So does anyone know if when it is all set up can you operate GameEx from the joysticks and buttons only.

Thanks
:unsure

Brad
24th May 2008, 07:48 AM
You certainly can.

Brad

Col
24th May 2008, 10:51 AM
I better check it out a bit more.

Thanks

@lien_Zed
24th May 2008, 12:10 PM
I just had a look at GameEx which also looks great but is it what we want in an amusement machine? Hope so.

Does anyone know if once you set it up can you operate it from the buttons and joysticks only?

YES , YES, YES!!!!

there is an option to make it cabinet friendly in the options.
i havd it running in my mame cabinet. when the pc starts and xp loads up there is a small option box it brings up thats give you 5 seconds to pick if gameex starts or not, and then gameex will load up. (thanks to super program genius person madmikeau)

once gameex is up and running i controll it all via player buttons, joystick and player one and player 2 buttons.
god i love gameex :) :cool: :D

Col
24th May 2008, 01:20 PM
Guess I better do it as having more than games would be good.

Not another million hours setting it up.

Mame and MameWah took a while to set up but now that I have done it, it's easy.

GameEx seems quite easy to set up.

Thanks for the comments.

@lien_Zed
24th May 2008, 04:40 PM
[QUOTE=Col;166031
GameEx seems quite easy to set up.

.[/QUOTE]

piece of piss my friend

felixthadog
24th May 2008, 05:13 PM

GAMEEX IS DA BOMB!!!!

Hmmm methinks you like GameEx ;)

Matthew

opm881
24th May 2008, 05:42 PM
well looks like im going to use game ex. Good news, although i got out bid on the neo geo, a guy in ormeu(or how ever you spell it) has an interstellar arcade cabinet up for sale. its been stripped of the insides. SO NO1 BUY IT ;D the owner wasnt tehre but his dad took my name and number and will get him to ring me 2moro

@lien_Zed
24th May 2008, 07:21 PM
Hmmm methinks you like GameEx ;)

Matthew

how did you get that idea???? :unsure :lol

felixthadog
24th May 2008, 08:13 PM
how did you get that idea???? :unsure :lol

Just a hunch ;)

Matthew

opm881
31st May 2008, 06:14 PM
ive decided to go with game EX. I havnt got my cab yet so havnt had a chance to play with joysticks or anything yet, but just had a go with metal slug, looks preety good. Just gotta get me a copy of those dam mame dvds which has a stack of games on it. Oh well. That and learn to NOT press esc. Any way, is it worth paying the donation thing for game ex? and does it last for ever that donation or for a limited time only?

Arcade King
31st May 2008, 06:18 PM
If you register you get sent a key that removes it. My advice is to try before you buy.
For what I wanted it was ideal.
I'm going to turn my Defender cab into a williams multi and thinking using mame and a front end may be a option.

opm881
31st May 2008, 06:26 PM
so far its wonderful, easy to config, able to support well, everything XD just gotta make sure my keys are configed and im all good

narf_
1st June 2008, 12:07 AM
i used to use atomic Fe

but now as i use mame for testing and playing the odd game on the side i use

guimame simple to use as a test setup

mouser
4th June 2008, 09:13 AM
I'm also looking to start my first cab project in the near future so this is an interesting thread for me also.

Thanks for posting it up opm881