PDA

View Full Version : MaLa with older version of Mame 0.66

Ryan555
20th April 2008, 02:15 PM
I have decided to do a bit of an upgrade to my Mame cab. I am currently running Mame32 0.66b with that versions ROM set, it was the latest at the time. So its been a while for upgrading!

I decided to try out Mala Frontend seems very good and looks like it will do what I want it to do, but I cannot get it to run with Mame 0.66b (no ROMS listed) I can get MaLa to run with the latest version of Mame but it runs too slow (PIII 1200).

Does anyone know how to get an older version of Mame to run with MaLa? What does the Mame.xml file do? It seems to be some sort of ROM list? Is that why I don't see any ROMS with the older version as this is newer Mame thing?

Ryan

AdamC
20th April 2008, 06:16 PM
I was using MaLa with version 0.89 with no probs.

That version made a .xml file first time I ran it .
Maybe version 0.66 wont work cause it doesnt make a .xml file. :unsure

Ryan555
20th April 2008, 10:41 PM
Ok thanks, I might download 0.89 and see how it goes. But I really would like 0.66 to work.

acejas
21st April 2008, 07:58 AM
download .89 mame which is the first version to create xml file. copy that xml file

I did it with my version

Ryan555
3rd May 2008, 11:01 PM
Thanks it works now! ROMs show up!
I have had a chance to "play" with the setup this weekend. My only problem now is that some of the games don't work. If I select a game it will say "Starting" then thats it, it will not load. I can play the game using the command line in a DOS shell but on though MaLa. I thought it might be the 089b XML file list being different to 0.66b so a tried the command line in Mame "mame -listinfo >listinfo.xml" and renamed it to mame.xml but this didn't make any difference.

Another thing in MaLa, is there a way of making the scrolling of the game list faster, I have set it to 20 in the options but it still is too slow. I'm guessing my computer may need to be faster but it should be able to scroll faster as Mame32 was very fast at scrolling. Also is there a way to jump to certain roms like in Mame32 eg. by pressing S would take you to games staring with S.

Ryan

AdamC
4th May 2008, 07:31 AM
GO into

OPTIONS - CONTROLLER - KEYBOARD ->

BASIC ->

Letter UP - _
Letter Down - _ I map 2 buttons on the P1 side to do these.

This will let you go up a letter at a time in your list .

Then I have 2 other dedicated "UP" and "DOWN" buttons , too.

Also,

OPTIONS ->

[_] - Use one page for interval. (radio Button here)

UP Interval [_] Enter a figure in these.
DOWN Interval [_]

These are tied up with X UP and X DOWN in the BASIC page. (I dont use this option)

Hope this helps.

Ryan555
5th May 2008, 09:54 AM
GO into

BASIC ->

Letter UP - _
Letter Down - _ I map 2 buttons on the P1 side to do these.

This will let you go up a letter at a time in your list .

Then I have 2 other dedicated "UP" and "DOWN" buttons , too.

Also,

OPTIONS ->

[_] - Use one page for interval. (radio Button here)

UP Interval [_] Enter a figure in these.
DOWN Interval [_]

These are tied up with X UP and X DOWN in the BASIC page. (I dont use this option)

Hope this helps.

thanks!

I now use Joystick 2 to jump to each letter, excellent.

AdamC
5th May 2008, 09:56 AM
No problemo