PDA

View Full Version : Linux or Windows for Mame?

MetalSkin
19th April 2008, 01:22 PM
G'day guys,

Tried searching but couldn't find a recent question regarding this. I have the knowledge to run a Ubuntu or Debian similar distro and have mame run on it, which there appears to me to be quite a few mame versions available on.

I have plenty of spare licenses for XP and older licenses for windows so I could use that as well.

I have plenty of spare puters lying around, a few 1800Athalons and more recent ones as well. So hardware should be powerful enough for either.

The question I have is, which one gives the better result if all things are equal? (as in hardware is decent and reliable, no driver issues, etc).

I was planning on using an LCD so I dont know if that makes any diff. However I have seen people talk a lot about frequencies and so forth for tubes so I presume there must be some advantage of using a tube, however I haven't seen a comparison (photo or IRL) to be able to judge the advantages of each.

intigod
19th April 2008, 06:20 PM
I'm happy with xp ( tinyxp)... IMO because I'll probably want to hide the OS anyway when using it in a mame cab

Arcade King
19th April 2008, 07:06 PM
Are there any up to date builds of mame of linux? I'd go windows less hassles.

@lien_Zed
19th April 2008, 08:33 PM
talk to user Elvis about linux mame.

im still yet to have a go

The Pinny Parlour
19th April 2008, 09:30 PM
Are there any up to date builds of mame of linux? I'd go windows less hassles.

I concur.

Arcade King
20th April 2008, 08:18 AM
and that was suppose to be "on" linux not of

StevOz
20th April 2008, 11:17 AM
and that was suppose to be "on" linux not of

SDLMAME for Ubuntu
Latest version packaged is 0.124u3
This page was last updated on Friday, 18th April 2008

http://wallyweek.altervista.org/

Seems pretty much up to date to me. ;)

The Pinny Parlour
20th April 2008, 03:26 PM
I'd go windows less hassles.

I concur. :)

Hewitson
23rd April 2008, 10:04 PM
Windows less hassles? :lol

Go FreeBSD mate.

MetalSkin
26th April 2008, 12:39 PM
as i thought, a linux system is a lot better than windows, also its ligit. Question is, what is the best distro and what is the best windows front end?

Personally I'm partial to gnome but i think I read somewhere that its not the best. I don't mind running debian or similar, I'm not a linux guru but spent to many years on unix systems so I can normally figure things out.

MrWasabi
30th April 2008, 03:37 PM
my current project initially started as a linux mame. I used xmame as the backend and gxmame as the frontend GUI. it worked well. Initially i had a problem where i copied all of the roms over and they were all in upper case. With a bit of code i quickly converted all upper case to lower case.
I used Ubuntu Gusty running gnome, i started to get frustrated as i was adding more roms and when ever i audited the roms, it would take several hours.

I think the way that xmame audits and mame32 audits are very different.

When running roms, it would take longer to load. It wasnt that bad on some of the smaller games, but when you loaded a big rom, it would take 30-40 seconds to start up. In windows i didnt have this problem with the exact same roms.

some roms which didnt take up the entire 17" LCD would break if you didnt set the resolution right in their properties, something that windows can manage without breaking. I think this has something to do with the Nvidia drivers however...

Apart from this there wasnt really much difference in performance while playing roms. they all behaved the same in terms of frame rate and sound.

I ditched ubuntu and created my own version of windows using nLite. i havent looked back since.

I am a big fan of linux, and been using it for years, but for this sort of application, unless you want to compile your own operating system using the Ubuntu Kernel, i would just stick with windows.
This is something i dont normally say, but for mame, it is the better option.