PDA

View Full Version : jamma connectors,dumbass questions

bretty
24th May 2006, 12:31 AM
Hi All,
I Have a Jamma wired cab,my first cab and I really know sweet **** all about connectors,wiring etc so excuse my ignorance. I have just bought a few boards that are not jamma.How do I go about getting wiring adaptors for jamma.Are they easy to do yourself or is it practical to to get an operator or someone to make them up? Is someone here interested in making them.What sort of cost am I looking at and is it worth it.The games are Moon Patrol,Crazy Kong,Rygar,Senjyo,Slap Fight and Time Pilot.
Would each game have a totally different adaptor or would some use the same?
Im not even sure if these boards are ok or if they are faulty as they are untested so not sure if its worth my while.
Some of the boards already have some sort of wiring adaptor on them but its not as big as the jamma one.When the adaptor is made would it be the same size as the jamma connector?
Any help or advice at all much appreciated.If anyone in Adelaide thinks they can help I would be more than happy to bring them around or have you here.I will also be in Brissy again in July If someone there can help.Would love to learn a few things at the same time as I dont know what the **** you guys are talking about in your posts half the time.
thanks Brett

RetroBorg
24th May 2006, 12:44 AM
I know how you feel.

RetroBorg
24th May 2006, 12:50 AM
A quick google found me this site: http://www.jammaboards.com/jcenter_jamma_pinout.html

And if you go to this page you can find the game you are arfter and work out how to make up a harness for your games: http://www.jammaboards.com/pinouts/

I've never done it myself but it doesn't look all that hard. :D

Arcade King
24th May 2006, 06:21 AM
The cost is only a few bucks and some soldering skill and time.
The only things you need to look at for is

1. Is the pinout correct? There are heaps of games with different pinouts for the bootleg versions etc.
2. Make sure you find out where your voltages are. Use a multimeter to find where your +5,+12 and ground is then match them against your pinout. Nothing worse than spending a hour on a harness only to find out you have soldered it around the wrong way.
3. DOUBLE CHECK YOUR WORK BEFORE TURNING ON ANYTHING!

staceyamusements
24th May 2006, 06:40 AM
The cost is only a few bucks and some soldering skill and time.
The only things you need to look at for is

1. Is the pinout correct? There are heaps of games with different pinouts for the bootleg versions etc.
2. Make sure you find out where your voltages are. Use a multimeter to find where your +5,+12 and ground is then match them against your pinout. Nothing worse than spending a hour on a harness only to find out you have soldered it around the wrong way.
3. DOUBLE CHECK YOUR WORK BEFORE TURNING ON ANYTHING!
I agree with all the points Travis has pointed out.I have in my time wired up harness back to front.Do make sure that you check your wiring.If you are not sure i can or fellow aussie arcade members can assit you.We are a helpful bunch here.

garuda
24th May 2006, 07:07 AM
I have a couple of documents that may help you. One is a guide on making harnesses (it uses a Sega 16 to JAMMA as an example but the tips are aimed to be universal) and the other is a large folder of zipped pinouts. Unfortunately both are larger than the forums attachment limit but if you pm me your email address I'll send them to you.:)

bretty
24th May 2006, 09:05 PM
I think the harnesses already on the boards may be for Jamma.They only have 18 pins and not all are used.Could this be for Jamma.If so how do you connect them in the cab,do you connect them to one end of the jamma connector so that the black wires are together.Can I do any damage if I try this?

rottenpig
24th May 2006, 10:21 PM
yeah i wouldn't go trying that. you have to make sure the parts side of the connector is facing upwards and be 100% sure it is jamma. otherwise you can kiss your board goodbye.

bretty
24th May 2006, 10:59 PM
Ok I think this is finally starting to make some sense.Basically what I need to do is look up the pinouts for my boards.Connect the corresponding pins from my board to the jamma connector.(ie. I connect the player 1 up pin on my board to the player 1 up pin on jamma con).
Once they are all connected plug it in and away I go.Is that basically all I need to do?

Sounds easy enough if thats it.Let me know if not as I will give it a go.Would hate to fry my board or worse ME.

garuda
24th May 2006, 11:10 PM
The most important thing is to have your voltages wired correctly or you will fry your board. Up, down etc. miswired aren't going to cause any permanent damage. If you pm me your email I'll forward you those files I mentioned. The wiring guide will answer all your questions.

WOKA
25th May 2006, 08:36 PM
I suppose a basic rule of thumb is that if the board is made pre 1986 then it most likely isn't a JAMMA board.

W.

bretty
26th May 2006, 12:36 AM
I have a couple of documents that may help you. One is a guide on making harnesses (it uses a Sega 16 to JAMMA as an example but the tips are aimed to be universal) and the other is a large folder of zipped pinouts. Unfortunately both are larger than the forums attachment limit but if you pm me your email address I'll send them to you.:)
Thanks garuda,that guide is excellent.Makes it sound easy.Only thing I need to know now is where to buy the JAMMA fingerboards, edge connectors etc.Would Jaycar sell them or do I need to order through jammaboards.com ?

thanks for everyones help
Brett

garuda
26th May 2006, 06:48 AM
Thanks garuda,that guide is excellent.Makes it sound easy.Only thing I need to know now is where to buy the JAMMA fingerboards, edge connectors etc.Would Jaycar sell them or do I need to order through jammaboards.com ?

thanks for everyones help
Brett

Glad it helped. I'm pretty sure Jaycar wouldn't sell the fingerboards. Jammaboards is about the best place to order from in my experience. Place one big order so you have them on-hand for later. There is nothing worse than getting a new pcb and not having the fingerboard/adaptor to make a harness to play it.:lol

Arcade King
26th May 2006, 03:24 PM
I noticed but Jammaboards has raised their prices on fingerboards. I'll be still buying connectors from them but think I'll be looking elsewhere for the fingerboards.