PDA

View Full Version : Overclock Double Dragon

wufle
17th April 2008, 07:30 PM
Hi folks,

I've been messing around with double dragon on mame 0.111, trying to work out why its running so slow when I get more than 2 enemies on screen.

After a bit of research I found out it does that because its meant to! Apparently the processors used in the original cabinet were to slow for the actual game - I have no idea how/why the developers released it like this!

The slowdown problem can be improved by using the ddragonb rom which emulates a different version of the game using a faster cpu. It still tends to slow down when there is a lot happening on screen but its way faster than ddragon.

I can make it run perfectly by running the game with the -cheat command then virtually overclocking all 3 cpus to 200%. Does anyone know how I can put this into a cfg file so I don't have to manually do it every time I boot the game up?

SectionZ
17th April 2008, 08:52 PM
This is slightly off topic as regard your question, but I have been thinking along a similair line. I have a couple of bootleg boards, 1 of which sometimes boots without sounds, It runs much faster without sounds, maybe try reducing your sample rate?

Just had a look @ my (bootleg) board there is 1 68B09EP (External clock) & 1 68B09P (Internal clock) both are capable of a wopping 2MHz, I bet the EP is underclocked, the 6303 is 1MHz...

In this day & age there must be a hack solution to this!

Still & Great game & that's the way it was when I played it in the arcade, we didn't mind cause it meant we got more playtime :lol

wufle
17th April 2008, 09:26 PM
haha

To be honest, I'm to young to have actually seen a working Double Dragon cabinet. That's probably why I'm asking why its so slow now :p

I just tried turning the sound off then and it had no impact on the game speed.

opm881
17th April 2008, 10:02 PM
i remeber with the nes double dragon games they didnt get slow, and im guessing that is how they were meant to be run

Mickey Juice
17th April 2008, 11:05 PM
i remeber with the nes double dragon games they didnt get slow, and im guessing that is how they were meant to be run

The console versions didn't have slow-down. Just the arcade versions due to the hardware.
I sold my DD2 cab not too long ago.. the slowdown was a killer!

DKong
17th April 2008, 11:58 PM
But isn't that how the game should be played, original , slow down and all:unsure
anyway the backwards elbow will get you through game easy, no brainer game

GameDude
18th April 2008, 04:44 AM
But isn't that how the game should be played, original , slow down and all:unsure
anyway the backwards elbow will get you through game easy, no brainer game

Thats right... the game was even better when you slowed down... made those knees to the head even more enjoyable. Alot of shoot-em ups use slowdown to enhance the game as well.:sleep

huds
18th April 2008, 08:33 AM
i'm old enough to have pumped countless 20c peices into original DD cabs. At that stage i was not concerned by any such slow downs, just the lack of 20c coins in my pocket.

I've played it on my MAME set up and by setting the throttle to auto, it seems to play a bit better. i was thinging it was my PC not running the ROM properly. The title screen and demo play slow and the sound is delayed and echos.

Is this the same problem you have?

I have 2 copies of the DD roms, one is a bootleg. Both do the same thing unless i auto trottle.

How do you overclock the CPU's? I'd like to give this a try.

wufle
18th April 2008, 06:08 PM
How do you overclock the CPU's? I'd like to give this a try.

the only way I know how to overclock the cpus is by booting in up in dos with cheats enabled, ie:

mame ddragon -cheat

Then when the game starts press the ` key (above tab) and keep going up till you get to the cpus where you can hold right to overclock them. Press down insert to make it scroll faster.

doing that makes it run perfectly on my machine.

for the ppl saying it should be played with the slowdowns, I agree. I'm just curious to know how/where I can write this into a config somewhere. That way I could have 2 versions on my machine, one with the slowdowns and one without. sort of like a technical demo I could show people to prove how good mame is!

wufle
19th April 2008, 03:34 PM
Ahh, This thread over at arcadecontrols sort of answers my question.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=18170.0

It's possible, but not as easy as writing a line in the .ini

I'll just live with the slowdowns :)