PDA

View Full Version : xbox mods

GEMINI
16th April 2008, 08:53 PM
has anyone modded their own xbox latley?
are there mod chips to stay away from? i isee a few are quite cheap these days
what progs do people use for backing games up?

cwispy
16th April 2008, 10:19 PM
Stick to the genuine Aladdin or DuoX for the original xbox and you will be fine. The best program for backing up to the hdd is dvd2xbox still.

TheYellowDart
17th April 2008, 04:05 PM
The Aladdin chips put a dead short on the LFRAME signal to ground. This causes a high current draw on one of the IC's which is likely to reduce the life of a 1.6 xbox. To get around this you should cut the LFRAME trace on the motherboard and put a resistor in series with that leg to reduce the current flow. The DuoX2 chips apparently don't have this issue because they use momentary pulses rather than a dead short preventing the IC from getting too hot.

You can find more information in this thread. (http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=305938)

cwispy
17th April 2008, 04:10 PM
Where on earth did you get that rubbish information from? I have installed many thousands of the aladdins and never seen this, BUT, I have seen this with the rubbish chinese knock off chips that are out there and what a surprise, those chips also dont work anywhere near as effectively as the originals.

Edit: Ok, I do remember this thread and also remember the flame war it caused on many forums. As for actually killing a xbox, I dont think you wll find a single post anywhere that can contribute this to the actual modchip. Also the chips they are referring to disappeared years ago. If I ever get another 1.6 through I will check this and see if its still doing the same thing, but like I said, I have never seen a dead xbox due to having an aladdin installed.

gints
17th April 2008, 04:51 PM
anyone actually follow the link to the diagram on that thread? Its a ****ing lotto pyramid scheme which brings the info into question...

Mickey Juice
17th April 2008, 10:56 PM
Get a Xecuter and an LCD front panel ;)

http://www.severdhed.com/images/xbox.JPG

http://www.gocybershopping.com/files/provider/images/large%20images%5Cd_3587.jpg

TheYellowDart
18th April 2008, 09:47 AM
Where on earth did you get that rubbish information from? I have installed many thousands of the aladdins and never seen this, BUT, I have seen this with the rubbish chinese knock off chips that are out there and what a surprise, those chips also dont work anywhere near as effectively as the originals.

Edit: Ok, I do remember this thread and also remember the flame war it caused on many forums. As for actually killing a xbox, I dont think you wll find a single post anywhere that can contribute this to the actual modchip. Also the chips they are referring to disappeared years ago. If I ever get another 1.6 through I will check this and see if its still doing the same thing, but like I said, I have never seen a dead xbox due to having an aladdin installed.

I'm not sure how accurate the info is. I merely came across that info while looking for photos of the solder points for an Aladdin Advance I purchased from a Sydney supplier several months ago. It's the sort of issue which may not rear its head for a long time as stressed IC's won't always die straight away and the current draw isn't vastly higher than what it's rated for. I'd personally be doing this as a precautionary measure anyway and hey, if it doesn't work can always solder a jumper over the break in the track.

It was enough to make me just stash the chip in a drawer and do a soft mod.

tnpshow
18th April 2008, 11:05 AM
I made my own Cheapmod and it works a treat.

EDIT - just noticed the website is gone, but I still have all the info...

You can buy the blank micros from Jaycar for $15.

By far the easiest but a bit more DIY...

It runs the EvoX firmware

cwispy
18th April 2008, 02:23 PM
I made my own Cheapmod and it works a treat.

EDIT - just noticed the website is gone, but I still have all the info...

You can buy the blank micros from Jaycar for $15.

By far the easiest but a bit more DIY...

It runs the EvoX firmware

Considering you can buy a Aladdin or Duox for about $25 why would you mess around with a cheapmod these days, not to mention a much neater solution and easier to fit.

GEMINI
18th April 2008, 07:34 PM
Thinking duo x
Does anyone have MTV music generator?
if so is it as fun as the psx version?

stingy
1st May 2008, 10:36 AM
I used to do nothing but Xecuter chips, but now i just soft mod with ndure. Its easy and its free.

Davefjedi
1st May 2008, 12:09 PM
just purchased an Aladdin XT to do my first mod should be here next week never attempted to mod anything before
If I need help will ask here
Just got an xbox wife wouldn't let me get one untill now

mamejay
10th August 2008, 01:57 PM
just purchased an Aladdin XT to do my first mod should be here next week never attempted to mod anything before
If I need help will ask here
Just got an xbox wife wouldn't let me get one untill now

You poor thing. My modded box has been a part of my setup for the last 5 years. One of the most reliable pieces of hardware I have (well almost). Got another one in the bedroom and modded that one myself. Take your time and you will be fine.
Hope you got it nice a cheap though. Should be able to grab one for $80-$100 now at least.
The only thing that is holding it back for me is the lack of wireless.
Oh well still has plenty of life in still.

Just realised how old this thread is.
Dave. How the mod go?

Working first try?

Davefjedi
10th August 2008, 02:43 PM
Man what have I been missing out on
mod works a treat got cold feet and got a member here to do it Melton mods is the company
man I should have put my foot down years ago they are great as a media center stream everything from my pc in my office (I cabled my house with cat5 )

acejas
10th August 2008, 03:06 PM
mine runs flawlessly from xbox to router wirelessly to my server. Only jitters very occassionly when dog decides to plomp his arse where reception is low

RaMpAgE
10th August 2008, 05:19 PM
Considering you can buy a Aladdin or Duox for about $25 why would you mess around with a cheapmod these days, not to mention a much neater solution and easier to fit.

because when we did ours you were still in nappies :D

mamejay
11th August 2008, 10:08 AM
Man what have I been missing out on
mod works a treat got cold feet and got a member here to do it Melton mods is the company
man I should have put my foot down years ago they are great as a media center stream everything from my pc in my office (I cabled my house with cat5 )

Cat5 is the only way to fly. I cabled up my house when I built and have not looked back. I do have wireless but nothing beats streaming over CAT5. Also FTPing to the box is sweat as.

If you are into tweaking and have a Digital TV tuner in your PC you can install webscheduler script on the xbox and stream live TV from your PC. Its more like the tuner is recording and you are playing that recording a few seconds later but it does work.

inthemix
3rd April 2009, 08:23 AM
Softmod would be easier and safer (no soldering). You can pickup a copy of Splinter Cell from EB games for about $5-10. Just make sure you get the original version (google on how to determine if it is).

This is the guide I used:
http://www.eurogamer.net/forum_thread_posts.php?thread_id=28592

cwispy
3rd April 2009, 08:02 PM
Softmod would be easier and safer (no soldering). You can pickup a copy of Splinter Cell from EB games for about $5-10. Just make sure you get the original version (google on how to determine if it is).

This is the guide I used:
http://www.eurogamer.net/forum_thread_posts.php?thread_id=28592

The soft mod is not safer. If you screw it, your left with a box that wont do a damn thing. With a chip, you can update the hard disk anytime you want without worrying about killing the box. Screw a softmod and you have no choice but to chip it so may as well chip it from the start.

DevoDave
3rd April 2009, 08:45 PM
The soft mod is not safer. If you screw it, your left with a box that wont do a damn thing. With a chip, you can update the hard disk anytime you want without worrying about killing the box. Screw a softmod and you have no choice but to chip it so may as well chip it from the start.

Another softmod fanboi Cwispy. He knows not what he does. "safer" because he doesn't need to solder.... hope he never has to mod a Wii!

Viper
3rd April 2009, 09:49 PM
I softmodded my X-Box for two reasons.

1. It's still got 10 months warranty so I ain't opening it up just yet.
2. I suck at soldering and had enough trouble getting 'permission' to get the X-Box in the first place.

OK so that's really 3 reasons. I'll get it chipped once the warranty is up if you can still get them then. For now softmod will have to do.

Davefjedi
3rd April 2009, 10:59 PM
Another softmod fanboi Cwispy. He knows not what he does. "safer" because he doesn't need to solder.... hope he never has to mod a Wii!

Yeah havent looked back my last xbox just died got another of Impure Devo will post out next week with Hard drive to put in my 3 year old can work it he can even brows the network to my pc to watch his shaun the sheep (great show) so have to replace and an xbox compared to a divx player is no comparison in price

Brad
3rd April 2009, 11:31 PM
I'm with Viper, I suck as soldering so softmod for me. Also I'm sure you can recover from a botched softmod these days??

Brad