PDA

View Full Version : Arcade Parts, your thoughts?

GameDude
16th April 2008, 07:13 AM
Your thoughts?
I am considering a wrecking yard of sorts for arcade parts (not pinball) this would include PCB's, chassis, Control Panels for generic and dedicated cabs...

Is there a need here?

I am looking at bringing in from the US dedicated cabs SEGA, classics whatever but want to know if anyone would be interested?

As already is the case its a sideline "hobby" for me and definatly wont replace what I already do with computers but I would like to expand my passion for arcade....

I already know if its CHEAP everyone will buy but what I am talking about is realistic prices...

I really want to dedicate a complete building to this one day including a working classics arcade.....

just milling ideas...

narf_
16th April 2008, 07:26 AM
well there is always a need for old parts so i reckon go for it.

sometimes the part you want these days you cant buy new and trying to find it can be a nightmare.

my recent experiences with second hand parts has been quite good and the demand is there

spacies
16th April 2008, 08:01 AM
****, I wish i was in OZ. I would be keen for some classics.
What about to NZ? :cry

steve2000
16th April 2008, 08:28 AM
This will be a good idea

Davefjedi
16th April 2008, 08:47 AM
Good idea Dorian but is the market really there to dedicate a whole building to it?
Most parts can be sourced on the net or through forums such as this.Sorry to be Mr Negative but I think you would be wasting your money. This hobby I dont think will ever get any bigger. As most of the kids that grew up in the 80`s and 90`s are of age to be dealing in this at the moment so I think we will see a decline in the number of people playing around with collecting arcade
BUT having said that if you wanted to have a central point to warehouse all the parts I would dare say it would be a first point for a lot of the guys in the hobby\industry to look for a part if they needed something

hamish_nz
16th April 2008, 09:10 AM
there not the market, the money not in video games.
Mame and multi boards have killed the market

arcadus
16th April 2008, 09:31 AM
I would be interested, especially sourcing old black and whites, vectors etc. There's not that many around since most have been trashed (like the EMs) but I am more of a collector than a player and prefer restoring machines.

Fish Tales
16th April 2008, 09:56 AM
Well pins are my thing but.........I would really love a genuine classic cab like a dedicated galaxian or donkey kong etc, but had a 48 in 1 in it. There has gotta be a market for the marriage of old and new.
:cool:

tnpshow
16th April 2008, 11:49 AM
I'd definately hit you up for some parts!

I will be building a dedicated US spec Gyruss and Galaga in the near future and I've already got some parts from the US, but a closer source would always be my preference :)

Go for it!!!

I'm also in need of some parts (particularly steering wheels) for an Ivan Stewarts Super Off Road too... :cool:

Johns-Arcade
16th April 2008, 01:20 PM
Im interested in buying more dedicated cabs, but I tend to agree with Hamish on this one when he mentions the potential market. I was looking at bringing a container of dedicated cabs over from the USA myself, but I highly doubt that will happen now. But, if you do decide to bring some over either for business or personal use, let me know as Id happily look at buying a couple (Atari Battlezone upright is first on my list).

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

Savage
16th April 2008, 01:28 PM
I didn't vote as I'd like to choose all of those options!

GameDude
16th April 2008, 05:38 PM
I would be interested, especially sourcing old black and whites, vectors etc. There's not that many around since most have been trashed (like the EMs) but I am more of a collector than a player and prefer restoring machines.

Actually I am looking at that right now, a container with things that are hard to get like vector moniotors and chassis

Good idea Dorian but is the market really there to dedicate a whole building to it?
Most parts can be sourced on the net or through forums such as this.Sorry to be Mr Negative but I think you would be wasting your money. This hobby I dont think will ever get any bigger. As most of the kids that grew up in the 80`s and 90`s are of age to be dealing in this at the moment so I think we will see a decline in the number of people playing around with collecting arcade
BUT having said that if you wanted to have a central point to warehouse all the parts I would dare say it would be a first point for a lot of the guys in the hobbyindustry to look for a part if they needed something

I own the building so its not a problem there and what I plan is more than just an arcade parts store, some have seen this already in the US its like a retro store and you pay to go in and play classics, have a coffee sit down and relax type of thing internet bar ect... plus a rexource for old arcade spares

GEMINI
16th April 2008, 06:38 PM
Actually I am looking at that right now, a container with things that are hard to get like vector moniotors and chassis

I own the building so its not a problem there and what I plan is more than just an arcade parts store, some have seen this already in the US its like a retro store and you pay to go in and play classics, have a coffee sit down and relax type of thing internet bar ect... plus a rexource for old arcade spares

Can i just have a cold drink (i don't like coffee)
I like the idea (i would drop in from the sunny coast)
I thought it would be a great idea to have an arcade with prices on all machines so if they played it and loved it, then they could take it home
I think these days it would probably pay to do out of the ordinary consoles stuff
as well (double your client base)

felixthadog
16th April 2008, 08:18 PM
If you already own/lease the building and storage is not a problem and you wouldn't mind selling arcade parts as a "side" business, I think it is a fantastic idea. This forum has a shitload of members, and there always seems to be members enquiring about different parts and where to source them from, with a business venture like that we could all just say "PM Dorian" :D I know I would be interested in buying some arcade parts. I presume that you would be willing to ship some of the parts? :unsure

Matthew

dj10555
16th April 2008, 11:19 PM
I hope you can pull it off as it would be a great idea. You can probably count the number of places you can go to play these games on one hand. There are some old games I would like to import if possible but are not really worth it unless they are shipped with a container load.

MadMikeAU
17th April 2008, 01:09 AM
One BIG problem...its not within walking distance of my place. :x

Shock_And_Awe
17th April 2008, 08:07 AM
I would be interested in some dedicated cabs.

Foot
17th April 2008, 08:45 AM
I would be interested in some dedicated cabs.

Gyruss springs to mind. Or at least control panels etc to help make one

dmworking247
19th April 2008, 09:39 PM
I seem to be getting more and more sucked into this hobby. Maybe I'm blinded by that, but it seems to me that there is a growing interest in this retro/classic stuff and it'll be there for a while (10 years?) before (as some have mentioned) our generation will be over it and the next generation will be "wtf?".

One thing that irks me is that classic original cabs never made it to Australia. One day, when I have the space, I'd REALLY love to get and preserve original cabs like tempest, donkey kong, pacman, space invaders cocktail etc.

Right now though, a reliable market for original 'parts' like bezels, controllers, cp's, pcbs would get my interest as I don't have the room for original cabinets (to keep) and freight is a bitch.

If you're looking at providing a new service relative to this hobby though I'd have to say artwork prints, even if you're just the middleman with some local signwriter who would give you bulk discounts... there are so many threads about it and we just dont have our own (Aus) "MameMarquees" for artwork.

IMO that artwork problem needs to be solved before you can sell imported originals too, as people are going to want to restore them.

dezbaz
19th April 2008, 10:03 PM
I would buy from you, YES! (Hell Yes)

narf_
19th April 2008, 10:44 PM
im keen my supply of free gear has now dried up and i now have to buy stuff :cry

GameDude
20th April 2008, 01:59 PM
Well it seems a resounding YES on the interest front, I will have to sort some way of displaying the items for sales.
The problem with the current website is that its cumbersome to add one off items.
A system like a forum post setup may be more practical and have catagories? as items come they get posted and posts follow with the inevitable SOLD?
Unless someone can come up with an easy way to categorize this stuff?

maxpower
3rd May 2008, 07:28 PM
I seem to be getting more and more sucked into this hobby. Maybe I'm blinded by that, but it seems to me that there is a growing interest in this retro/classic stuff and it'll be there for a while (10 years?) before (as some have mentioned) our generation will be over it and the next generation will be "wtf?".

One thing that irks me is that classic original cabs never made it to Australia. One day, when I have the space, I'd REALLY love to get and preserve original cabs like tempest, donkey kong, pacman, space invaders cocktail etc.

Right now though, a reliable market for original 'parts' like bezels, controllers, cp's, pcbs would get my interest as I don't have the room for original cabinets (to keep) and freight is a bitch.

If you're looking at providing a new service relative to this hobby though I'd have to say artwork prints, even if you're just the middleman with some local signwriter who would give you bulk discounts... there are so many threads about it and we just dont have our own (Aus) "MameMarquees" for artwork.

IMO that artwork problem needs to be solved before you can sell imported originals too, as people are going to want to restore them.

I here ya! I started mucking around last year on & off and after finding this forum I'm sucked in to. I think it would work as long as you can afford to do it. I guess like all things start off small and see what happens. It sux that I live in Vic tho and you live in Qld.

Fish Tales
17th June 2008, 09:26 PM
Gamedude any plans for or consider stocking jamma adapters?

MrMaloo
17th June 2008, 09:42 PM
Not a bad idea.If you already own the building and are doing it as a sideline to your hobby then very low overheads would make it seem like it could work.

Best way to make it work is by word-of-mouth and that my friend is where we all come in .. :023:

If you decide to go ahead with it then I wish you all the best.

dezbaz
17th June 2008, 09:50 PM
Gamedude any plans for or consider stocking jamma adapters?

I hope so too

I made a Jamma adapter for 36 pin Crazy kong on the weekend, it took more than 2 hours. I would consider buying them in the future, I think adapters for "uncommon" boards (like crazy kong etc) will remain unavailable, which leaves us with making them ourself, or getting someone to do it, and pay $50 + for them.

The crazy thing is we take 2 hrs to make something worth $50, when we could be out earning more than that in 2 hrs.

Ironic

GIBO
17th June 2008, 10:05 PM
I hope so too

I made a Jamma adapter for 36 pin Crazy kong on the weekend, it took more than 2 hours. I would consider buying them in the future, I think adapters for "uncommon" boards (like crazy kong etc) will remain unavailable, which leaves us with making them ourself, or getting someone to do it, and pay $50 + for them.

The crazy thing is we take 2 hrs to make something worth $50, when we could be out earning more than that in 2 hrs.

Ironic

I tell you what Dez for $50 each I will make you any adapter you need for your PCBs and I will use JB3s and new connectors so they are nice and compact and as an added bonus I will deliver them to your door free of charge

dezbaz
17th June 2008, 10:34 PM
I tell you what Dez for $50 each I will make you any adapter you need for your PCBs and I will use JB3s and new connectors so they are nice and compact and as an added bonus I will deliver them to your door free of charge

Thanks Gibo!

I do need 1 a.t.m, it's monkey donkey - 44 pin single layer board

I don't have the pinouts either LOL

Anyway I can bring the MD board when I drop off them other things if you like, you may be able to tell me if you can do it.

narf_
17th June 2008, 10:42 PM
this sounds like a good time to sell my box of old harness's tonite then

****nows what they go to but my source isnt short of them. Mates got a removal box full of old harness's.

GIBO
17th June 2008, 10:43 PM
Thanks Gibo!

I do need 1 a.t.m, it's monkey donkey - 44 pin single layer board

I don't have the pinouts either LOL

Anyway I can bring the MD board when I drop off them other things if you like, you may be able to tell me if you can do it.

no worries mate C U when you get here

narf_
17th June 2008, 10:49 PM
$50 is cheap when you take into account parts and labour thinking about it now

Fish Tales
18th June 2008, 07:33 AM
my point is that sum1 get these from asia at a dirt cheap price then resell.... would cost anywhere near 50 bucks that way

GameDude
19th June 2008, 07:21 AM
As far as adaptors go I can only find one source and its not cheap (about the same in $ as making yourslef) however the are full PCB and have the required video inverters or whatever is needed........ And they are only for popular games as well, most bootlegs wont have a supplier of adaptors.... however I have an IDEA now....

As far as adaptors go I can only find one source and its not cheap (about the same in $ as making yourslef) however the are full PCB and have the required video inverters or whatever is needed........ And they are only for popular games as well, most bootlegs wont have a supplier of adaptors.... however I have an IDEA now....

MetalSkin
19th June 2008, 08:20 AM
Is there an echo here? :unsure

Btw, what if you just sold the plugs for the various sizes with the appropriate stuff to let you make em quickly (don't know the term for those quick thingos, but they don't need solder). If you sold those I reckon I would buy some.

Maybe the parts would sell better instead of the complete harness so that people could make em themselves.... just a thought :D

narf_
19th June 2008, 08:42 AM
http://www.gamedude.com.au/arcade/prod_list.php?maingroup=SPARE%20PARTS&secondgroup=CONNECTORS

just add wire :)

MetalSkin
19th June 2008, 08:52 AM
http://www.gamedude.com.au/arcade/prod_list.php?maingroup=SPARE%20PARTS&secondgroup=CONNECTORS

just add wire :)

oh I know about those, just meant that there are all sorts of stuff, like the kick harness, which if the connector was one of those easy to attach wires to style... I got a link at home somewhere of the type I mean. I'll try and post it tonight to explain... Personally I'm happy to make my own and save on the money, though wiring looms and similar would be handy (like a pre-packaged bundle of diff coloured wires of fixed length with the right doodads at the end for connecting) :)

felixthadog
19th June 2008, 08:58 AM
oh I know about those, just meant that there are all sorts of stuff, like the kick harness, which if the connector was one of those easy to attach wires to style... I got a link at home somewhere of the type I mean. I'll try and post it tonight to explain... Personally I'm happy to make my own and save on the money, though wiring looms and similar would be handy (like a pre-packaged bundle of diff coloured wires of fixed length with the right doodads at the end for connecting) :)

Are you referring to the quick connects that allow you to quickly connect/disconnect the wires from the connector? :unsure

Matthew

MetalSkin
19th June 2008, 09:04 AM
Are you referring to the quick connects that allow you to quickly connect/disconnect the wires from the connector? :unsure

Matthew

Possibly mate, not sure on the technical term. I'm a total newb when it comes to the right names for this sorta gear. :confused:

felixthadog
19th June 2008, 11:42 AM
Possibly mate, not sure on the technical term. I'm a total newb when it comes to the right names for this sorta gear. :confused:

The quick connects look like these:

http://www.ozstick.com.au/prod_wiring.html

Matthew

MetalSkin
19th June 2008, 12:02 PM
The quick connects look like these:

http://www.ozstick.com.au/prod_wiring.html

Matthew

Yeah, they're the ones :) would be nice to have looms that we could buy. I spose I could just buy the quick connects myself and crimp em. but then I would need a crimping tool...

opm881
22nd June 2008, 01:12 PM
well i think its a great idea. Go for it! Make your own ..... crap whats the arcade in king of kong?