PDA

View Full Version : Modchipping a Gamecube

opm881
15th April 2008, 09:51 AM
I have decided to mod my gamecube because there are some games i want to play on it and seeing as there isnt a good enough emulator yet, this is my only option. Ive looked at some mod chips but they all require soldering and ive never actually soldered. My dad used to be an electrician but that was years and years ago so he never had to solder, so how easy is it to install a solder modchip for the gamecube? also, is there anyone in cairns/gold coast that does modchips for gamecube cheap? i live on the coast but i am in cairns for 3 weeks visiting my folks

Womble
15th April 2008, 10:00 AM
Something with circuitry as tiny as the GC is really not the place to start learning how to solder. Soldering itself is not hard, getting the solder to go where you want, and only where you want is the tricky part, expecially when you are working with minute circuitry like the GC. Early 90s arcade boards are tricky enough, but everything has got a whole lot smaller since then.

DKong
15th April 2008, 11:05 AM
I did the Qoob mod , and was not to difficult, but probably not a good thing to learn on

http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?t=4120&highlight=qoob

opm881
15th April 2008, 12:33 PM
thx. turns out my dad can solder

Aractus
15th April 2008, 02:49 PM
If you're planning to burn game discs, then you also need to do a case-mod so it can accept 12cm discs (or else you're limited to only 8cm DVD-R's which are difficult to find, and expensive).

I'd recommend Modding a Wii instead. The Wii is 100% a Gamecube when running in GC mode. You can pick up a 2nd hand Wii from eBay for about $350 (or less), you can get a genuine Wiikey from http://ozmodchips.com/ for $30, that brings the total price to about $380-$400. All you have to do is ask eBay sellers if their console ID is compatible with the Wiikey.

The cost of modifying a Gamecube is much higher: $70-90 for the modchip, and then about $50 for the case-mod - that comes to about $120-140 +the price of the gamecube, which would be worth about $60 = ~$200 total for a modded GC, vs ~$400 for a modded Wii (wiikey). Not to mention the fact that it's going to be harder and harder to find a Wiikey compatible console in the future; I know there's a new 9-wire modchip (Wasabi) that works with D2C, but it's been reported to be problematic on some Wii models (this is the problem with designing one modchip to work with "every" Wii drive!)

opm881
15th April 2008, 03:24 PM
Mekilson, i already have the 12cm disc sorted out. its possible to leave the top half of the case off and still run the console. Also, i already own the gamecube and I got it for 50 bucks about a yr or so ago, so that isnt a problem. The cost of a modchip you have double the actual price of the chips. Modchips range from 25-35for a gamecube. I dont want to buy a wii right now mainly cause there isnt much of a draw except of a couple of games and i can play those at my uni's game class room

Gehirn
15th April 2008, 04:20 PM
The Wii is 100% a Gamecube when running in GC mode.
Umm , no it isnt 100% . A few games will not work , have glitches and have unusuable features

Aractus
16th April 2008, 07:55 PM
Mekilson, i already have the 12cm disc sorted out. its possible to leave the top half of the case off and still run the console.It's also possible to leave the top-half of your computer's DVD-drive off, lay it on top of the PC and run it, though I wouldn't reccomend it. But then, as you don't own a Wii, I guess you just don't know how good it really is! :unsure

opm881
16th April 2008, 08:03 PM
i dont own a wii, but i have access to one 5 days a week because of my uni course. Ive played it a bit and im happy just palying it there, i dont feel the need to come home and play it some more.

Aractus
16th April 2008, 08:04 PM
Umm , no it isnt 100% . A few games will not work , have glitches and have unusuable featuresThe Wii behaves exactly like a gamecube when running a GC game. It doesn't have the original hardware, so you can't use the gameboy adapter or online/lan - but aside from that I've never heard of any games not working on the Wii.

Gehirn
16th April 2008, 08:23 PM
The Wii behaves exactly like a gamecube when running a GC game. It doesn't have the original hardware, so you can't use the gameboy adapter or online/lan - but aside from that I've never heard of any games not working on the Wii.
Im not talking about the adaptor or online , i shouldnt of said not working i meant that you cant use some things in the game like the chao garden feature in sonic adventure 1/2 .