PDA

View Full Version : What in the hell is a chassis!

knight76
13th April 2008, 08:49 PM
Ok, Im not completely stupid.

But I thought a chassis was something you used to mount something, like the chassis of a car etc.

So, my new cab has a monitor, but no chassis. Talking to the bloke I asked if the monitor works and he said sure, just got to get a chassis. I got back in the car and told the minister of finance and war, I said, now I just gotta work out what the hell that is.

So Ive worked out its an electronic gizmo that drives the monitor i guess.

What is one of these going to set me back? I will have to post a pic of the monitor to get some idea of what chassis I need for it from you knowledgeable people.

Davefjedi
13th April 2008, 08:56 PM
Look up Jomac he does a uni chassis for 15-20 inch monitors. He will set you straight cost about 150.00. Well worth it he is a well respected member here

@lien_Zed
14th April 2008, 07:12 AM
thats true, a monitor chassis or a monitor driver board they are referred to as well. basically its the circuit board the drives the monitor tube itself

JasonC
14th April 2008, 09:23 AM
Joey (Jomac)
he helps everyone here
has "universal chassis" which fit most monitors
as mentioned cost about $140-$150

most helpful guy - will walk through the wire connecting process with you too which was very helpful for me

Jason

knight76
14th April 2008, 11:58 AM
Ok, so I need a monitor chassis for this one.

But before going to the expense of getting the chassis, how do I know this monitor actually works?

If I go and spend the 150 for the chassis, then also need the adaptor for connecting the monitor to the pc and find out the monitor is stuffed I will have wasted 200+ bucks.

Where I could have bought a telly or pc monitor by then.

Any tips on checking if the monitor works?

narf_
14th April 2008, 12:09 PM
pc monitors are cheap as chips

try pc recycling places,ebay,auction houses ect. i got one for $30 (21 inch crt) plus ive scored one free (gotta pick it up)

a safe bet is to find a dead tv (free usually) that way you have a new tube as joey can match the chassis to the tube

http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?t=1797
http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?t=11097

knight76
14th April 2008, 12:17 PM
This cab already has an arcade monitor in it, but I dont know if it works. If it does work, id just use that one as it is what was in it and fits nicely.

narf_
14th April 2008, 12:29 PM
no worries

joey will run you through everything

Lord-Data
14th April 2008, 01:46 PM
Typically, there is VERY little that can go wrong with a tube itself .. nearly all the stuff that can fail in a screen, is in the chassis board, so you're pretty safe with the tube. Same reason why you can pick up old (Dead) TVs, gut the tube,fit a jomac chassis and have a nice new screen operating.. even tho the TV side of it is dead, the tube is nearly always great! :)

@lien_Zed
14th April 2008, 06:20 PM
as a ganeral rule of thumb you can get *many* years of life out of a telly tube.

in fact i have a little 12 inch colour akai tv my dad bought in the early 80's that is going strong!

knight76
14th April 2008, 06:36 PM
I just realised something. My monitor in the cab is 26".

Can Jomac handle that one?

Brootal
14th April 2008, 08:09 PM
I'm sure he can handle it, nomatter how big you think it is ;)

Jomac
15th April 2008, 01:10 AM
who is this Jomac fella anyway :)

Viper
15th April 2008, 01:30 AM
who is this Jomac fella anyway :)

Dunno, some weirdo from over west who's far too smart and helpful for his own good! ;)

knight76
15th April 2008, 01:34 PM
Yeah, I heard a rumour that he fixes Chassis for free and that includes shipping both ways. What a guy.

Viper
15th April 2008, 09:53 PM
Yeah, I heard a rumour that he fixes Chassis for free and that includes shipping both ways. What a guy.

Now, you've done it. You've scared him away!!!

knight76
15th April 2008, 09:59 PM
Nah, he's not scared away he is taking orders :badgrin