PDA

View Full Version : Razor new Aussie made FE

headkaze
7th April 2008, 07:31 PM
Not sure if you guys are aware but I started writing a 3d engine about a year ago. I had a major break from it with other projects but have got back to it and decided to write my own FE using it. Anyway heres a few links to check out. It's still in it's early stages but I'll be sure to keep my Aussie compadres updated on it's progress.

Razor WIP link (http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=76769.0)

Video 1 (http://members.iinet.net.au/~freeaxs/razor/Razor.avi)
Video 2 (http://members.iinet.net.au/~freeaxs/razor/Razor2.avi)
Video 3 (http://members.iinet.net.au/~freeaxs/razor/Razor3.avi)

Arcade King
7th April 2008, 07:39 PM
that looks sweet!@

AdamC
7th April 2008, 07:43 PM
How far off are you from releasing a beta ?

headkaze
7th April 2008, 08:28 PM
It's hard to say how far away a beta is, but because of my work on GameEx and CPWizard and various other projects alot of code for the back end is in place and ready to use.

Right now I'm working on a default theme that will cover the most popular emulated consoles, computers and handhelds. Eventually I want to have CPWizard's features integrated along with about a 100 other features I'd like to see. I've written code already that can send keys and remap keys and all the necessary back end boring stuff to make it quite powerful already. Just need to find time to do it.

The main focus at the moment is the engine and menu system. I'm not sure if I'll go the same way as Ultracade like HyperSpin has but probably have a text based system as default because I find it easier to browse large lists of games. That being said I will probably will add a wheel system too eventually. The goal is to have various methods of displaying game lists like marquees, wheels, text lists etc. kinda like 3D Arcade did many moons ago.

To be blunt though any sort of beta testing is probably a way off yet. Although I had the animation system working about a year ago and it was capable of doing what you see in those videos then. This time I put a bit more effort into the layouts to show off what it can do. There is plenty of room for improvement though.

Anyway I'll be sure to keep you all posted as I make some milestones.

headkaze
8th April 2008, 07:31 AM
Shameless bump ;) Actually I wanted to ask people what they wanted in a FE? What features would you like to see? What annoys you about the current selection of FE's and what things do you really like? If you wrote your own FE what are the things you would want to add?

Crafty
8th April 2008, 10:34 AM
The thing that bothers me most about most FE is the inability for most to have a simple set up option. Having all the bells and whistles is nice but making the leap from Mame32 to a frontend can be fraught with dangers...

I know plenty of people who just stick with Mame32... Me Included...

shooter
8th April 2008, 10:37 AM
I nice feature would be to have the highscores form that game displayed. so you can try to beat them and remember what your score is upto ?

Brad
8th April 2008, 01:01 PM
Make it fast. A LOT of people don't use a high-end rig in their cabs so why make an all singing all dancing fe that runs like vista?

brad

RetroBorg
8th April 2008, 07:05 PM
First off let me just say I think your videos looked really good and I can't wait to give this frontend a go, so when you're looking for beta testers I'm putting up my hand now.

Things I want to see in front end:

The thing that bothers me most about most FE is the inability for most to have a simple set up option.

It's got to be simply to setup, the backend of the frontend should look like windows, with boxes to tick and folder boxes with browse buttons etc.

A nice feature would be to have the high scores form that game displayed, so you can try to beat them and remember what your score is up to?

This would be a great feature if it's possible.

Make it fast. A LOT of people don't use a high-end rig in their cabs so why make an all singing all dancing fe that runs like vista?

brad

It's got to be fast and have all the bells & whistles. :badgrin

The main focus at the moment is the engine and menu system. I'm not sure if I'll go the same way as Ultracade like HyperSpin has but probably have a text based system as default because I find it easier to browse large lists of games. That being said I will probably will add a wheel system too eventually. The goal is to have various methods of displaying game lists like marquees, wheels, text lists etc. kinda like 3D Arcade did many moons ago.

I want a wheel and I want it now! They look pretty. :flutter:

You also need an easy skinning program, the easier you make this, the more skins are going to be made and when you've got lots of skins available your frontend will be very popular.

It would be good if all the skins available can be used in both horizontal and vertical modes rather than have to make up separate skins for both, don't know if this is possible though. :unsure

Emulator plugins would be really helpful for those who struggle to set up some of the not so user friendly emulators out there.

It would be cool to have a built in feature like MKChamp's missing artwork files utility.

Anyway look forward to the beta no matter what features you decide to have. :D

AdamC
8th April 2008, 07:43 PM
How about being able to convert skins/layouts from other frontends into this one?