PDA

View Full Version : My 'TAB' button no longer works

paulj
5th April 2008, 03:49 PM
Hi folks, weird problem.
im using the Jpac on my Mame cab and the usage of the TAB button [as in hold the 1p start and joystick right]-to access the in game menu to remap keys etc) no longer works.

It used to, and then for some reason it just stopped working one day. all the other options work (i.e. joy down to pause and joy up for vol/gamma correction) just not the TAB function.

Also it still does not work if I plug in a keyboard

Help please!

dmworking247
5th April 2008, 03:55 PM
If it doesn't work with your keyboard either then its a mame setup issue.

I'd tell you to go into the 'tab' screen and make sure 'tab' is assigned to the admin menus for 'all games', but you can't do that can you :)

Take a look inside controls.ini and mame.ini files. If you can't find something obvious, make a backup of your controls.ini and mame.ini files, and then delete them. When you run MAME it should create them again with defaults, which should include the tab key setup.

paulj
5th April 2008, 04:00 PM
any way I can do that (del the ini files) and retain all of my key configs for the games? cos I have reassigned all of the keys for pretty much every game..

felixthadog
5th April 2008, 04:06 PM
Have you gone into the J-PAC Test Menu to check the key mappings? :unsure

Matthew

dmworking247
5th April 2008, 04:10 PM
Take a look inside controls.ini, I think thats the custom config for each game, whereas mame.ini is the common emu config?

I'm sure there are better MAME gurus than me who can comment here....

Have you gone into the J-PAC Test Menu to check the key mappings? :unsure

Matthew

He said the same problem occurs with a normal keyboard, so its not a hardware mapping issue.

felixthadog
5th April 2008, 04:18 PM
He said the same problem occurs with a normal keyboard, so its not a hardware mapping issue.

Yep, you're right. I thought there might be a shorted input on the J-PAC that would be indicated in the Test Menu, but if it happens with a normal keyboard as well then it wouldn't be the J-PAC causing it (like you said). I can't remember whether plugging a keyboard into the pass-thru on the J-PAC would produce the same results as plugging a keyboard directly into the PC.

Matthew

headkaze
5th April 2008, 10:40 PM
Just a guess but have you applied MKChamp's hiscore patch to your own custom compiled Mame? The reason I ask is because he changes the default key for the menu to P1 Start. It's confused alot of people in the past.

You can always change the key to show the menu by going into Input General->User Interface->Config Menu.

Like dmworking247 said just back up your cfg\default.cfg file, delete it and see if Tab is restored again. You could also try opening default.cfg in a text editor and search for a UI_CONFIGURE entry. If that isn't assigned to KEYCODE_TAB then delete it.

First thing I would do though is download a program like KeyHook (http://arcadecontrols.com/arcade_downloads.shtml#Utilities) and check if your JPAC is registering the 'TAB' key. If it is it will show in this program. That will tell you if it's a Mame config issue or a hardware type issue.