PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy perspex for marquee

gints
4th April 2008, 11:09 PM
Hey guys,

I need to buy a sheet of perspex to make a new marquee. Just wondering where is the best place to buy perspex from, I've never really seen it on a store shelf? Is it just at Bunnings?

Additionally, i need to cut it to the particular shape shown below (without the missing corner). What is the best way to cut perspex? Is it possible to do a curvy shape like this or will I need to get a pro to do it?

If anyone knows any specific places capable of this, I am in Brisbane.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3133/2386738123_a951fd5865.jpg?v=0

Foot
4th April 2008, 11:16 PM
Don't know about the cutting, but Bunning had sheets (size 900 X 600/900??) for about 40 bucks in various thickness's

WOKA
4th April 2008, 11:21 PM
Ask GAMEDUDE (http://www.aussiearcade.com/forumdisplay.php?f=57) (Commercial Member) if he has a spare marque.

Assuming you want to replace the LS marque with another LS marque..

gints
5th April 2008, 05:31 AM
yeah I need the perspex shape though, but want to redo my own marquee because I find that one a bit garish and tacky.

I'm not positive but I would assume when GD imports them in pieces the marquee is probably already printed on the perspex.

narf_
5th April 2008, 08:22 AM
try a plastics shop

down here we have one that will cut to suit. for CP overlays drilled with 5 holes is about $12 for me

gints
5th April 2008, 08:24 AM
wow that sounds awesome, I'm sure there will be one in brisvegas. That ballpark sits well within my price range :)

Arcade King
5th April 2008, 08:24 AM
Like foot said Bunnings sells it, I use the 3mm stuff myself for marquees.
Just make sure you cut it at SLOW speed.

acejas
5th April 2008, 08:44 AM
check out the yellow pages. I went to a place that had what I wanted as scrap and got it for $5 :)

sdferris
5th April 2008, 08:47 AM
Like foot said Bunnings sells it, I use the 3mm stuff myself for marquees.
Just make sure you cut it at SLOW speed.

Arcade King - when you say cut at slow speed, are you referring to cutting with an electric jigsaw on a slow setting, or a slow cut with a hand tool (like a piercing saw)?:unsure

Just wondering whether perspex might shatter if using an electric jigsaw?

I am heading down the same path as gints, probably this weekend, so any advice to help us get a fantastic result would be greatly appreciated.

Arcade King
5th April 2008, 08:53 AM
Yes I used a jigsaw at the slowest speed using a fine toothed metal cutting blade.

sdferris
5th April 2008, 09:01 AM
Fantastic - thanks for the info. I will be giving it a crack this weekend.

spacies
5th April 2008, 09:04 AM
The pros use a 'score and snap' knife with a tungsten tip.

Really simple to use and you can get some cheapies!

http://www.linbide.com/Images/thumbs/hardie.jpg

I use one of those and its does a great job.

sdferris
5th April 2008, 09:15 AM
Thanks Spacies - I will give that method a try as well. Have both a fine jigsaw blade and a score and snap tool in the toolkit. It will be interesting to see which is the easiest (for me) and gives the best results.

gints
5th April 2008, 09:23 AM
are these cutting methods are okay for doing odd curves?

Unfortunate part about my shape is that I will basically have to trace it around the edges, since you can't really write the shape down in terms of geometry (unless you whip some tasty integrals)

narf_
5th April 2008, 09:38 AM
yours is a toughie id take the easy option and see how much to get it cut by someone that way they stuff it they fix it

plus most places will drill the holes also to suit

gints
5th April 2008, 09:48 AM
yeah I probably will, especially with my shared apartment, no workspace and lack of any decent tools (jigsaw, vice, bench etc.etc.)

sdferris
5th April 2008, 10:18 AM
Gints, if you happen to find a reasonably well priced place in Brisbane that can do what you are after would you mind reporting back - they may be a good resource to share. I know I could personally use them.

gints
5th April 2008, 10:29 AM
will do

David_AVD
5th April 2008, 10:33 AM
If your jigsaw has orbital (right name?) cutting like my Metabo one does, it might be worth testing on a scrap piece first. The orbital cutting action cuts normally on the down stroke, but pulls the blade back on the up stroke. I think it's meant to clear the swarf from the blade better. This can be a good thing when cutting plastics that like to melt!

TheYellowDart
5th April 2008, 11:21 AM
Cut the shape roughly with a jigsaw, then use a file to get it closer still and then finish up with sandpaper. If you want really nice edges you can use a heat gun to get rid of all the scratches though be careful, too much heat and it will bubble.

spacies
5th April 2008, 02:50 PM
If your jigsaw has orbital (right name?) cutting like my Metabo one does, it might be worth testing on a scrap piece first. The orbital cutting action cuts normally on the down stroke, but pulls the blade back on the up stroke. I think it's meant to clear the swarf from the blade better. This can be a good thing when cutting plastics that like to melt!

Good call, I have a Metabo as well. Bloody good but you gotta be careful with some materials.