PDA

View Full Version : 48 in 1 quick question

JasonC
1st April 2008, 10:12 PM
I'm getting one of the 48 in 1 PCBs for my LAI cab, my question is - can you play 2 players similtaneously with this PCB?

I'm guessing by the age of the games that only one player can play at the time, alternating with the second player?

if thats the case I will set my CP up with only 1 joystick and buttons to suit to give more space

could someone clarify

regards

Jason

WOKA
1st April 2008, 10:20 PM
Only player 1 followed by player 2.. None are simultanious.

GIBO
1st April 2008, 10:43 PM
Probably best to wire up your CP with 2 players 3 buttons that way you will have a broader range of games/PCBs that you will be able to swap out later on down the track

steve2000
2nd April 2008, 07:30 AM
I think 1943 you can have 2 players playing at the same time

JasonC
2nd April 2008, 11:49 AM
thanks guys
if you can play 2 player game in 1943 I guess I will go 2 player, 3 button per person
then also I can swap out PCB I guess and not necessarily need a new CP

thanks

Jason

WOKA
2nd April 2008, 12:01 PM
I over looked 1943.. Oppps..

Lord-Data
2nd April 2008, 12:08 PM
I recieved my 48-in-1 just the other day, still wiring the cab at the moment.. Can 1943 run in alternating mode like the other games?

Crafty
2nd April 2008, 02:36 PM
I recieved my 48-in-1 just the other day, still wiring the cab at the moment.. Can 1943 run in alternating mode like the other games?

Not to my knowledge 2nd player joins in the same game.. :)

felixthadog
2nd April 2008, 02:51 PM
Not to my knowledge 2nd player joins in the same game.. :)

That's correct, 1943 is a 2-player simultaneous game, not alternating.

http://www.mameworld.net/maws/romset/1943

http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?game_id=6769

EDIT: Hmmmm, there is a photo on KLOV of a cocktail cabinet with 1943 on it, how could you play 2-player on it?

Matthew

SectionZ
2nd April 2008, 10:07 PM
It works like this - If you set a 48 in 1 up as an upright 1 Joystick it will alternate play using the same joystick, If you set it up as an upright 2 joysticks it will alternate play but P2 will use there own joystick & buttons (except 1943 of course).

To set up the PCB to your liking you need to depress the test switch on boot up, so don't forget to wire this up if your cab doesn't allready have it (pin 15 parts side & GND) to an external switch.

It really depends on how it is most likely to be used & personal preference but I prefer the single Joystick in the centre of the CP (it's nice to be in the centre of the screen rather than off to one side), that is easily 4 way / 8 way switchable like the sturdy MCA's.

As for 1943, there is a DIP for tabletop/upright, but it still didn't alternate on my board :unsure

I like the 48s but the sounds a bit off in some games Bombjack,1943 are the most notable - installing an external amp helps...

Have fun :)

narf_
2nd April 2008, 10:16 PM
cheers for that. does it mean you have to wire up p1+2 together

im thinking a external amp. is it safe to run the power off the powersupply for the amp? im running a old pc speaker amp that i ripped out of a internal speaker case has the molex plug to connect to a pc power supply (i plan to run the pcb on the same PS)

RetroBorg
2nd April 2008, 10:29 PM
It really depends on how it is most likely to be used & personal preference but I prefer the single Joystick in the centre of the CP (it's nice to be in the centre of the screen rather than off to one side), that is easily 4 way / 8 way switchable like the sturdy MCA's.

If I bought one of these boards I'd have to buy one of these magstick plus joysticks from Ultimarc (http://www.ultimarc.com/controls.html).

http://www.ultimarc.com/images/t-stik_ball.jpg

Just by pulling the joystick knob upwards and rotating it can change from 4-way to 8-way. There's no way I could play Donkey Kong with an 8-way or Juno First in 4-way, I'd hate it.

I like the 48s but the sounds a bit off in some games Bombjack,1943 are the most notable - installing an external amp helps...

Did you use an amp like this?

http://www.gamedude.com.au/arcade/images/Amplifier.jpg

How much better did the external amp help?

shooter
2nd April 2008, 10:42 PM
Another quick question. The 48-in-1 has a power connector on the pcb. Does this mean i do not have to power up the cabinet anymore? So i could leave the jamma wireing harness powerless ?

narf_
2nd April 2008, 11:02 PM
cab be run of a PC power supply

SectionZ
2nd April 2008, 11:02 PM
Actually I used a PC subwoofer & shielded speakers, just as you would in a mame Cab, but I interfaced them between where the cabs harness links to the Speakers & powered them externaly, vol control is mounted on top of cab too. It's nice to have control over treb / bass. I havn't had any problem even with my most valued boards, infact I think it's less stress on the PCB's amp, but I should really check this out with one of the techs before recommending. I do love that thump in space invaders though :lol

shooter
2nd April 2008, 11:04 PM
also i think i saw a coin mech connector on the 48-in-1 or is that just something else? it was a 2 rows of 5 pins.

RetroBorg
2nd April 2008, 11:10 PM
Actually I used a PC subwoofer & shielded speakers, just as you would in a mame Cab, but I interfaced them between where the cabs harness links to the Speakers & powered them externaly, vol control is mounted on top of cab too. It's nice to have control over treb / bass. I havn't had any problem even with my most valued boards, infact I think it's less stress on the PCB's amp, but I should really check this out with one of the techs before recommending. I do love that thump in space invaders though :lol

I love that Space Invaders thump too, I can just imagine how much better that sounds with a subwoofer. :badgrin

Lord-Data
3rd April 2008, 06:13 AM
these boards CAN run from cab/jamma power tho, right? isn't the molex just an optional way to power the board?

Davefjedi
3rd April 2008, 06:50 AM
these boards CAN run from cab/jamma power tho, right? isn't the molex just an optional way to power the board?

Yes they can run on only the jamma harness

Virgil Tracy
3rd April 2008, 07:18 AM
The 48 in 1 can be powered but the jamma harness or by a PC power supply, I have one in cab that is connected to an ATX power supply. The board is plugged into a jamma harness but there is no arcade power supply connected.

JasonC
10th April 2008, 11:22 AM
so the PC power supply provides 12v, +5v to the board etc through molex connection?
no need for a power switching supply at all ?
can you clarify
regards

Jason

The 48 in 1 can be powered but the jamma harness or by a PC power supply, I have one in cab that is connected to an ATX power supply. The board is plugged into a jamma harness but there is no arcade power supply connected.

spacies
10th April 2008, 01:16 PM
Correct.

JasonC
10th April 2008, 03:30 PM
thats pretty straight forward then
1x 240v connection for monitor chassis from Joey (Jomac)
1x 240v ATX power supply - any recommendations from AA people please?

then I only need to wire push buttons !

Jason

spacies
10th April 2008, 03:46 PM
A complete, running, arcade machine uses about 100 watts from the socket. Don't waste your money buying a high spec PSU for just the PCB. A good brand is more important than high power :)

WOKA
10th April 2008, 04:42 PM
thats pretty straight forward then
1x 240v connection for monitor chassis from Joey (Jomac)
1x 240v ATX power supply - any recommendations from AA people please?

then I only need to wire push buttons !

Jason

Double check your monitor, normally 110v not 240v..

JasonC
10th April 2008, 04:54 PM
Double check your monitor, normally 110v not 240v..

I've got the Joey (Jomac) harness installed and according to him, the chassis will do all the voltage regulation regardless of the input voltage

so it will do 240v or 110v
so instead of cutting the cable and attaching via the step down transformer I thought I would leave it as 240v connection

does that sound right

regards

Jason

WOKA
10th April 2008, 05:02 PM
Do as per Joeys instruction, he's the guru after all.

narf_
10th April 2008, 05:28 PM
you can gut out the old stepdown ect if you wont use it again or at least leave it in and disconnect all the wiring to it

DevoDave
10th April 2008, 07:04 PM
You will also need some way to activate the power supply. You will need to short-circuit the Green to any Black.

Lord-Data
10th April 2008, 07:06 PM
Using an older AT power supply also works well :)

narf_
10th April 2008, 07:41 PM
for booting mine i just cut the green and a black and connected them together easy as

shooter
10th April 2008, 08:48 PM
i like the old AT power supply idea :)

narf_
10th April 2008, 09:30 PM
try to find one of them these days though

i used to have heaps once

shooter
10th April 2008, 09:39 PM
i prob still have heaps.. gotta look around.