PDA

View Full Version : Minipac

Brad
1st April 2008, 01:57 PM
I have 2 minipacs for projects that I bought on sale. Of course the sale price does not include the harness (wire it up myself) nor the USB cable.

Does anyone know if the USB cable is anything special? If so where can I get them.

Cheers,
Brad

Davefjedi
1st April 2008, 02:24 PM
belive they are just a normal usb printer cable

dezbaz
1st April 2008, 02:38 PM
Here's the minipac website (http://www.ultimarc.com/minipac.html)
Looks like PS2 connector.

Have a look on the site in the FAQ's maybe

dmworking247
1st April 2008, 02:53 PM
I think its called a Type B USB cable. Type A is the wide plug that you'd put in your USB ports, Type B are the plugs shaped like a 'D' that are about 8mm wide, then there are the 5mm plugs that go into USB hdd's and cameras etc.

felixthadog
1st April 2008, 02:57 PM
I have a J-PAC from Ultimarc and the cable is a PS/2-to-USB, it looks like the Minipac would use the same cable. I'm not sure where to get the cable from, but perhaps a PS/2 to USB adaptor from Jaycar may be an option if the required cable is not readily available. Just plug the adaptor into the mini-pac and plug a USB-to-USB cable into the adaptor.

Matthew

Brad
1st April 2008, 03:27 PM
Yes they're definitely a PS2 to USB, I just don't know if you can get them anywhere. I'll give one of those converters a go. I usually just throw them out LOL!

Cheers,
Brad

dmworking247
1st April 2008, 03:31 PM
Yes they're definitely a PS2 to USB, I just don't know if you can get them anywhere. I'll give one of those converters a go. I usually just throw them out LOL!

Cheers,
Brad

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1440

I use this [kind of] adaptor all the time to convert USB to PS2. I've previously discussed it with Chris from Ozstick as we were both looking for better suppliers of PS2 to USB converters to go with encoders/trackballs/etc.

Brad
1st April 2008, 03:33 PM
Ah but that means I need to use a PS2 cable from the Minpac to the adaptor. I was hoping to use a PS2 to USB cable like normally supplied. Andy must have them made up especially for his devices.

Brad

felixthadog
1st April 2008, 03:40 PM
Ah but that means I need to use a PS2 cable from the Minpac to the adaptor. I was hoping to use a PS2 to USB cable like normally supplied. Andy must have them made up especially for his devices.

Brad

Go to www.jaycar.com.au and search for PS/2, there is a USB-A female to PS/2 male adaptor that would suit your requirement.

Matthew

Viper
2nd April 2008, 05:13 PM

Brad

They are just a run of the mill off the shelf PS2 to USB cable. Problem is there aren't many stores that sell them as they don't have the need. Same goes if you want to use PS2 instead of USB, the PS2 male to PS2 male cables are a pain to find which is why I always get one from Andy to save the hassle.

Brad
3rd April 2008, 07:36 AM
Yeah I've asked in a few stores and most of them just give me a blank look LOL! I wonder if there are local online suppliers?

Cheers,
Brad