PDA

View Full Version : I-pac2 or I-pac ve ?

Gehirn
31st March 2008, 06:12 PM
Which one would be do you guys reckon is better ???
I-Pac VE : http://www.ultimarc.com/ipacve.html
And with the "storage needs refreshing after power-down" does that mean you have to re-change the settings every time ?

felixthadog
31st March 2008, 06:23 PM
If you are planning on using the default MAME codeset, this is a great (& cheap) alternative. However, I don't think it is practical if you want to set up a custom codeset - having to reprogram it everytime the I-PAC is powered down is impractical and a pain in the arse!

Matthew

Gehirn
31st March 2008, 06:29 PM
Sorry if i sound like a noob but what is a codeset ?

felixthadog
31st March 2008, 06:36 PM
Sorry if i sound like a noob but what is a codeset ?

A codeset is the set of keys on your keyboard that map to the inputs on the I-PAC. For example, P1 Coin maps to key 5, P1 Joystick Right maps to the Right Arrow etc. See here (http://www.ultimarc.com/ipac2.html) for the default pre-loaded MAME codeset on the I-PAC.

Matthew

Gehirn
31st March 2008, 07:17 PM
Thanks doesnt sound like codeset's will be a problem and sounds better then a $68 normal i-pac2

felixthadog
31st March 2008, 07:37 PM
Thanks doesnt sound like codeset's will be a problem and sounds better then a $68 normal i-pac2

For half the price of the standard I-PAC, the I-PAC VE is a bargain. Given that you don't need to re-map the keys, it sounds like the better option for your cab. You can put the other $33 towards other parts ;)

Matthew

Gehirn
31st March 2008, 07:40 PM
Thanks for the help :D

felixthadog
31st March 2008, 07:44 PM
Thanks for the help :D

No problem, I hope I have helped!

Don't forget that you will need to supply your own USB cable ....

Matthew

Gehirn
31st March 2008, 07:48 PM
Yeah i saw that and you dont get the cd with additional drivers but im sure ill be able to find them

GEMINI
31st March 2008, 08:42 PM
looks like a handy product

dmworking247
31st March 2008, 08:45 PM
The mini-pac also looks like a good option if you're considering a trackball or spinner? (although at the expense of making wiring a chore)