PDA

View Full Version : Multi Sync Monitor or Arcade VGA?

spot
30th March 2008, 09:55 AM
Hey guys,

looking at building a MAME cab in the near future.
and I want to use an arcade monitor for the screen.

need some opinions on what route to take and i have a few q's on what each option can do:

a) a 15k/24k/31k Monitor - can i plug it straight into the VGA card and run it as a normal pc monitor? who sells these monitors?

b) a 15k monitor and an Arcade VGA - am i still able to run pc apps as normal? and its it too much bother to setup?

can light guns be used on both setups??

if anyone can shed some light or supply info - it would be greatly appreciated!!

Cheers,

Liam.

spot
31st March 2008, 04:31 PM
bump - anyone??

felixthadog
31st March 2008, 05:04 PM
I have an arcade monitor connected to an ArcadeVGA card and J-PAC in my lowboy cab and I can run Windows apps, no problem. The resolution definitely isn't as good as using a PC monitor but given I only use the Windows interface to setup the frontend (MameWah), copy roms etc it is more than satisfactory. And it is very easy to setup - just install the ArcadeVGA card, install the drivers and you're done! :D

Matthew

spot
31st March 2008, 05:10 PM
sweet - i just wanted to know how it would go with shmups and pc 2d fighters (omf2097 ftw!!) etc.

felixthadog
31st March 2008, 05:33 PM
sweet - i just wanted to know how it would go with shmups and pc 2d fighters (omf2097 ftw!!) etc.

Are you referring to PC games or emulator roms? :unsure I would recommend only using an arcade monitor if you plan to play emulated games that will run in their native resolutions. An arcade monitor would be pointless for modern PC games.

Matthew

spot
31st March 2008, 08:12 PM
i plan on playing both - mame and pc arcade style games.
just needed to know if i could play pc games on the mame cab.

felixthadog
31st March 2008, 08:45 PM
i plan on playing both - mame and pc arcade style games.
just needed to know if i could play pc games on the mame cab.

Yes you can play both, but the arcade monitor is not suited for higher resolutions like you would expect from PC games. I would recommend using a PC for PC games and maybe a desktop CP like X-Arcade or something from OzStick, and save the cab for the emulated games that are better suited to an arcade monitor. Just my 2 cents of course :)

Matthew

narf_
31st March 2008, 09:29 PM
go a pc monitor for both i reckon

Benzor
1st April 2008, 12:23 PM
Yeah, using a PC monitor would be a more flexible option for you, as well as cheaper.. You can pick up a 21" CRT for next to nothing these days.

spot
1st April 2008, 03:39 PM
i have a 21" but would like a bigger screen.

i plan on selling my jamma cabs soon and want to replace them with an all in one cab.

so i want a big screen and the ability to play some old school pc games as well (not too important tho.)