PDA

View Full Version : Best way to connect buttons to a pc ?

Gehirn
25th March 2008, 06:05 PM
Hi , just wondering what the best hardware option would be compared to a usb x-arcade dual stick controller or keyboard hack .
Thanks for the help in advance
And just one more question while im here is there anyway to get a coin door to work on a mame machine so i can actually use money for credits ??

vocalninja
25th March 2008, 06:41 PM
Check out ultimarc.

They have this thing called a j-pac and ipac.

Grab one and then build your own using happ or sanwa or seimitsu parts.

And I hope you arent going to charge people to play MAME. That would be un-spritual and un-sporting of you. :)

felixthadog
25th March 2008, 06:43 PM
Check out ultimarc.

They have this thing called a j-pac and ipac.

Grab one and then build your own using happ or sanwa or seimitsu parts.

Like he said ^ ;)

Matthew

vocalninja
25th March 2008, 06:47 PM
Stay away from X-Arcade stuff man.

The construction is nice but the sticks and buttons are donkey sh!t. If you need help wiring things up, I can help you out.

Gehirn
25th March 2008, 06:59 PM
Thanks so i just attach the buttons to it using gauage wiring ?

Lord-Data
25th March 2008, 07:14 PM
Yup, wire the buttons likea normal arcade cabinet .. infact if you go this path, you can actually wire the cabinet as a JAMMA standard, then use a ipac/jpac to pick up the pins on the other side of the loom, so you have a cab with JAMMA wiring, convertable to other things in the future.

Gehirn
25th March 2008, 07:25 PM
And I hope you arent going to charge people to play MAME. That would be un-spritual and un-sporting of you. :)

I just want to be able to store loose change in it and I want to get it to act like a original machine :D

Yup, wire the buttons likea normal arcade cabinet .. infact if you go this path, you can actually wire the cabinet as a JAMMA standard, then use a ipac/jpac to pick up the pins on the other side of the loom, so you have a cab with JAMMA wiring, convertable to other things in the future.

Thanks yeh that would be a good option

furballx
25th March 2008, 11:53 PM
What they all said. Keyboard hack OK for a 1 stick 2 button machine, but ghosting makes a 2 stick 6 button VERY difficult (impossible on some keyboards) without key overlap. Plus you need to re-assign MAME default keys = ARSE PAIN from hell :explode:. Ultimarc stuff is great, and ships fast.
Dave

Viper
26th March 2008, 07:36 AM
I-Pac or KeyWiz. I wouldn't bother with a J-Pac unless you genuinely had the intension to put something else in there at a later stage. The additional investment could well be wasted and it's not just $5 extra.

Benzor
1st April 2008, 12:19 PM
Oh and regarding the coin mech, very easy!

You can just attach the mech to the jpac or ipac and it acts as an ordinary keypress when you put a coin in. so you just map it to the credit button in mame :)

Gehirn
1st April 2008, 03:23 PM
really ? i thought there would be more then that thanks for your help :D

Gehirn
1st April 2008, 04:06 PM
Would i also be able to hook a coin counter and coin play/free play switch up to this aswell when its connected to the encoder ?
And if so were do the wires go to ?

spot
1st April 2008, 04:19 PM
as Benzor said - its just another keypress.

hook it up to a button or a coin mech and connect the other end to the encoder.

set up the coin button in mame and bam - credits at the touch of a button.