PDA

View Full Version : FREDDY Project

ace
24th March 2008, 12:57 AM
Well guys, fully stripped, what a job:sleep. mylar off! thanks to you guys for all that helpful info, time to give the p/f a good clean and then touch ups,there are some small areas to do. i have attach some pics,i will post more after touch ups hopyfully it will be ready to 2pack clear next weekend. ill keep you posted!
thanks.

Mickey Juice
24th March 2008, 09:30 AM
FYI if you havn't already read them, there are some good tips here for restoration:

http://marvin3m.com/fix.htm

ace
24th March 2008, 04:23 PM
hi, went to the craft shop didnt have chromacryl paint brand
but they did have Kaiser-colour paint (water base) will this be allright and is it the same??
thanks.

ace
4th April 2008, 11:06 PM
Hi guys:D all finished and cleared. a little different then painting a car.
we ended up touching up with the right water base acrilic paints.
before touch ups we sanded it back with 600 w/d
paper. i made sure i bought some anti-silicon additive to put in the paint just in case there was any wax or grease. i put 3 coats on and gave it 4 days to go off.
the first coats all have shrink and move, this is like filler priming a car but with clear, then we rub it down again with 800 grit w/d and used about 10% thinners so it would go on wet, the good thing about painting some thing flat it shouldnt get any runs. put one coat on and waited 3-5mins then one good wet coat it came up a treat.
one thing that we learnt was not try to get a good finish on the first few coats, you need to let it go off for a few days then you have some thing to rub back straight, then you dont have the chance of rubbing back any of the art work. all the wire rails are still at the chromers so we have to wait for them. ill post more pics as we go along putting it back together.

Foot
4th April 2008, 11:13 PM
Looks like you've done a great job, well done.

silverbak
5th April 2008, 12:25 AM
Looks great, well done!!

Did you do the clear coat yourself or get a paint shop to do it? If so what did they charge (if you don't mind me asking) and is it 2 pak?

My brother used to be a spray painter/ panelbeater. Says clearcoating a playfield would be simple but he won't work with 2pak as its so poisonous without the proper protective gear which he does not have

Now I have the dilema of deciding whether to pay a paint shop to do a 2pak job or get my brother to do it (for free) but it won't be 2pak. I don't want to compramise quality over price so i'm leaning towards paying for 2pak but still not sure

ace
5th April 2008, 12:48 AM
hi silverbak,
yes 2 pack is defently not good for you, i dont think its the same as it use to be years ago. we use sikkens paint not cheap i think with the clear and hardner and thinners $140. (1 litre) but is the best paints that i have ever used. i use to paint all my dads 3 wheeler choppers that he builds with the stuff all the time so this was my first playfield as well, he use to have a proper spray booth and i bought a special mask from my paint shop.
in painting the prep takes the longest it only takes 2mins to paint, you have to block it back, even if you prep and just take it down to your local panel shop and get them to put a few coats on. it might be cheaper, you really have to way it up. i think if you have a shed with a good mask you should be right. 2 pac should last for ever and theres no cut and polish after. there is a thread that savage/arcade king has done that help me, they did a star trek p/f.

ace
13th April 2008, 01:05 PM
hi guys,
28 hours (assemble) later and its nearly done, it takes longer to put back together than i thought.
put all the new chrome rails on my brother rebuilt the freddy's glove as you see on every freddy there is allways fingers missing, we got cut out stainless steel 316 and polished the fingers, then sloted new slot in the plastic finger tips and glued the new ones in. it looks magic. i have attached some more pics and ill post the finished ones later.

AskJacob
13th April 2008, 02:25 PM
man that is looking great! Better than new:023:

Long wait while it is apart before you get to play again, isn't it!

Cheers

Darksoul
13th April 2008, 08:57 PM
After 2 or 3 layers of 2 pac is applied, is it thicker than the original diamond coat was.

Is it strong and thick enought to stop inserts cracking and raising like they did with the original diamondplate?

Nice job!

ace
13th April 2008, 10:56 PM
yes i think 2 pac clear would be thicker than original.
this will hopfully last a life time and protect the art work.

cheers:)

Mickey Juice
3rd March 2009, 03:35 PM
Any chance of pics mate? esp. the new glove?

delarge
23rd March 2009, 06:22 PM
Any chance of pics mate? esp. the new glove?

Yeah, not sure if it's my computer, but no pictures are showing up. Would love to see pictures of the restoration project to give me ideas some ideas for my Freddy.

Cheers!
Adam.

Savage
23rd March 2009, 06:55 PM
Being a Qualified Spray painter myself, I've done a few 2-pak jobs on playfields.. I think about 8 now. I've never had shrinkage on my jobs, but I don't bake them or put them in the sun due to the issues with the inserts.

One thing I do, and it's because of the clear being thicker and the flex and the play-field is add flex additive. This definitely helps from what I;ve seen so far..

Oh, even though I don;t wear the full air-was kit I do cover up and wear a 3 layer Sunstrom mask...
This still won't help too much as 2-pac is an Isocyanate and this cannot be filtered out.. http://www.hse.gov.uk/mvr/priorities/isocyanates.htm

Looks great, well done!!

Did you do the clear coat yourself or get a paint shop to do it? If so what did they charge (if you don't mind me asking) and is it 2 pak?

My brother used to be a spray painter/ panelbeater. Says clearcoating a playfield would be simple but he won't work with 2pak as its so poisonous without the proper protective gear which he does not have

Now I have the dilemma of deciding whether to pay a paint shop to do a 2pak job or get my brother to do it (for free) but it won't be 2pak. I don't want to compromise quality over price so i'm leaning towards paying for 2pak but still not sure

I can't believe a spray painter that doesn't deal with 2 pack!, no offense to your brother but was over 10 years ago I did my apprentice ship and we were 2 pac only shop (but have doe fair share in acrylic and single pack enamel), all cars these days are 2 pack and the finish and durability of 2 pack outweighs that of any other finish, oh except urethane, but thats a bitch to do anything with!

My advise, 2 pack is the only way to go for your playfield. The Williams "Diamond Coat" was a marketing term for 2 pack finishes!

Also no pictures are showing up for me too!