PDA

View Full Version : Jpac to Arcade speakers

Savage
16th May 2006, 09:26 PM
Hi All.
Need help!!!
Got my Jpac working on my candy cab but want to hook sound up to the cabinet speakers and not use pc speakers..

I've tried going from the jack from the jpac using an old stripped headpone straight to the cab's speakers, it works but very soft, have to put an ear to speaker to hear it!.

I guess I need to wire it in to where the cabinets speaker volume controls are but I'm not sure where to put the wires (both left and right) Attached is the back of the speaker controls!
Help is greatly appreciated!

PS the Xbox is connected via an adapter to the Jpac so would prefer to keep stereo..

http://img3.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/th.38bb6ee087.jpg (http://img3.freeimagehosting.net/image.php?38bb6ee087.jpg)

DKong
16th May 2006, 09:49 PM
If you are only using a Jpac you won't have the 12v to run the amp built into the cab (not sure about candy cabs) the jpac only supplies 5v. You will need some sought of amp (cheap pc one) between the headphone jack and jpac speaker input (these run through the Jamma wiring) ..

Sutekh
16th May 2006, 09:54 PM
I ended up not being bothered to connect the sound from the J-pac in my cab... I went from the line out on my PC to the speakers and mine too was soft. I tried some Jaycar inline amp's powered by the PC's 12v, but my skills at electronics suck, so I had an awesome feedback and crackle fest going on. Ended up buying a $50 set of PC speakers with stereo satellites that plug in seperately to a sub woofer, which in turn has a wired remote control. Stuck the remote on the top right side of the cab and didnt even connect up the supplied satellites - wired the cab's speakers into the input on the sub. I get a HUGE clean sound from it now! :D

Savage
16th May 2006, 10:11 PM
Dkong - Not sure what you mean on where to run the amp, in this picture (see attached) this is where the output is, how putting an amp on the imput helps? sorry bit confused

Sutekh - Interesting, but that might be my last resort, I want everything inside the cab, which is pretty crowed now with 3 different Boards (Neo Geo / Atomiswave / CPSII).

It seems the Jpac is a bit of a let down with the Audio. I had originall a Time Master Xobx to Jamma, worked really great, slightly better picture from it than the Jpac and Audio went through the standard Jamma connecter, problem was couldn't configure the buttons so was useless for mame (couldn't emulate the back button to insert coins!)

http://img3.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/th.2df07ef9b5.jpg (http://img3.freeimagehosting.net/image.php?2df07ef9b5.jpg)

Steven
17th May 2006, 05:25 AM
Funny.. I was searching the internet for the answer to that just yesterday.
Felt like working my OK Baby MAME cabinet again.
What type of candy cab is yours?

I was hoping this one has a built in amp because it goes from the Jamma harness into some plugs in the cabinet then out again to the speakers.
Anyone here knows if it does?

Savage
17th May 2006, 07:12 AM
Funny.. I was searching the internet for the answer to that just yesterday.
Felt like working my OK Baby MAME cabinet again.
What type of candy cab is yours?

I was hoping this one has a built in amp because it goes from the Jamma harness into some plugs in the cabinet then out again to the speakers.
Anyone here knows if it does?

I was thinking the same thing.. Mine is an Sammy Atomiswave cabinet, thought it would have an amp in it?

buzzbox
17th May 2006, 07:33 AM
I just use the standard cab speaker and a $5 amps from Jaycar with a Sb16 pci sound card ...But if you get the old ISA Sb16 sound card you can get away with out using the amp .Its not as load as the amp but is still playable ;)

humpalot
17th May 2006, 07:40 AM
If you just want to use the cabinet speakers, you could wire in one of these. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/7W-7W-STEREO-AMPLIFIER-MODULE-12V-NEW_W0QQitemZ6280328823QQcategoryZ3945QQrdZ1QQcmdZ ViewItem

Savage
17th May 2006, 08:13 AM
The problem I have is I'm not running from a PC, thus can't use a pc card, it's coming from an Xbox!

Humpalot that might be all I need, just need to get a 12v source somewhere, hopefully the cab it self has 12 volts coming out somewhere

Shock_And_Awe
17th May 2006, 10:36 AM
hey Savage, as you know I've got the same cab as you but I really don't have any intention of playing anything but mame on it so I went the pc speaker route. I bought a Altec Lansing 2.1 set up on eBay for maybe $100 or so (can't remember??). The two speakers were almost identical in size to the original so just wired them in to replace the original and chucked the sub inside the cab. The speaker package has great sound and the sub inside makes the whole cab shake especially when you pump a credit on a game like Rygar!!! It also has a remote that I just have sitting on the control panel for quick and easy access. I'm very happy but then again I'd have no sound if I went back to a pcb not that I can see that happening anyway.

Savage
17th May 2006, 10:42 AM
hey Savage, as you know I've got the same cab as you but I really don't have any intention of playing anything but mame on it so I went the pc speaker route. I bought a Altec Lansing 2.1 set up on eBay for maybe $100 or so (can't remember??). The two speakers were almost identical in size to the original so just wired them in to replace the original and chucked the sub inside the cab. The speaker package has great sound and the sub inside makes the whole cab shake especially when you pump a credit on a game like Rygar!!! It also has a remote that I just have sitting on the control panel for quick and easy access. I'm very happy but then again I'd have no sound if I went back to a pcb not that I can see that happening anyway.

I might end up doing this, it seems you and Sutekh have a similar setup.
I might look for the smallest amp / sub setup, hopefully I can wire in the existing speakers cables from the cab so it too can use the speakers and sub?

Viper
17th May 2006, 11:01 AM
The screw terminals labelled speaker on the J-Pac go to the JAMMA harness and therefore to the speakers in the cab. You need to get a cheap ass set of $10/$20 speakers that plug into their own power source and volume control (and therefore amp), rip them apart and run the wires to the terminals on the J-Pac. I'm assuming an X-Box has a headphone/speaker jack similar to a PC or discman etc. though. IE. X-Box headphone jack to speaker amp to J-Pac terminals.

Alternatively you get one of those cheap amps mentioned earlier and wire it between the X-Box and J-PAC, does exactly the same thing only if you use PC speakers you'll already have the cable, volume controls and power whereas most of the amps are just the pcb which you have to wire/power yourself.

This way the cab stays standard and nothing extra needs to be wired into it.

Viper
17th May 2006, 11:09 AM
And remember. The JAMMA standard is for MONO sound not stereo (even though they usually have 2 speakers). Games that have stereo sound usually have the sound wired seperate to the JAMMA harness or wired into the harness specifically for that game (ie. will work with the PCB the cab was designed for but not others).

With my own cab I didn't use the J-PAC specifically for this reason as I wanted stereo from MAME. My speakers were wired into the cab using a Molex connector so I simply wired my cheap PC speaker amp to another Molex connector and when changing between PC/J-PAC and PCB changed the Molex connector for the sound as well.

Savage
17th May 2006, 11:44 AM
Yeah cool..
As in my second attachment there's a audio out for the xbox...

I'll think I'll do this, as I want stereo from Xbox still.

Buy a cheap PC speaker 2.1 set up. have the audio out from Xbox into amp. Have the output of the amp wire into the existing speakers, or replace depending which are better.

Question is.. If i do it this way, will when playing an arcade Board (not mame) and having the amp on still (with built in sub) , will it play through the sub??

Viper
17th May 2006, 11:55 AM
Question is.. If i do it this way, will when playing an arcade Board (not mame) and having the amp on still (with built in sub) , will it play through the sub??
I wouldn't thinks so as you don't have the amp between the PCB/JAMMA harness and the sub/speakers. The sub will only operate when the amp has something coming into it and with the setup you mentioned only the X-Box will be on the input side of the amp.

Savage
17th May 2006, 12:10 PM
I wouldn't thinks so as you don't have the amp between the PCB/JAMMA harness and the sub/speakers. The sub will only operate when the amp has something coming into it and with the setup you mentioned only the X-Box will be on the input side of the amp.

Dohhhh, of course.
Oh well. This seems to be my best option

Edit: I guess I could get the speaker cables from the cab and wire those too into the amps imput!

So this is what I'll end up with
PC speaker 2.1 set up. have the audio out from Xbox into amp and redirect the audio from the cab instead of directly into the speakers go into the amp too. Have the output of the amp wire into the existing speakers, or replace depending which are better.

So this leaves one question:
would i need a switch to allow only one source to enter the amp, to me I wouldn't think so as only one source either xbox or arcade board will be operating at one time!...

Viper
17th May 2006, 12:23 PM
You probably wouldn't NEED a switch but having one would probably be a good idea just from an isolation point of view. Also keep in mind that PCB's have their own audio amp built in so you will have to adjust the volume each time you swap. Won't be an issue going from PCB to X-Box but could be a shock to the ears going from X-Box to PCB if you forget.

Savage
17th May 2006, 01:24 PM
Cool.
Ok where to get cheap 2.1 setup with remote :unsure or model number of any?

OzStick
17th May 2006, 02:56 PM
Hi Savage,

I also reckon that PC speakers are the way to go.

Can't help you with a suitable setup that uses a remote, but if you find one please post details here as I may be interested in some myself.....

Cheers,
Chris

Sutekh
17th May 2006, 03:01 PM
I got mine for $49.95 from Electronics Boutique. Can't remember the brand (I'll look it up if people are interested) but it was effectively a no-name thing in a bright yellow box. Had sub, two satellites and wired remote. Satellites still in their shrink wrap, and used a 3.5mm to tinned stereo wires onto the cab speakers.

Couldn't fit the sub in my cab though, it sits behind it on the floor.

Viper
17th May 2006, 03:07 PM
I got mine for $49.95 from Electronics Boutique. Can't remember the brand (I'll look it up if people are interested) but it was effectively a no-name thing in a bright yellow box. Had sub, two satellites and wired remote. Satellites still in their shrink wrap, and used a 3.5mm to tinned stereo wires onto the cab speakers.

Couldn't fit the sub in my cab though, it sits behind it on the floor.
Sounds like the same ones I've got (from EB as well). Still sitting in the box on the shelf in my garage waiting for my cab to be finished. If I wasn't 900km away I'd check for you! :)

Savage
17th May 2006, 03:37 PM
Found some for under $50 or close to it..

http://www.gamedude.com.au/prod_show.php?art_no=spkJH322

I think the yellow ones you guys are talking about are these
http://www.gamedude.com.au/prod_show.php?art_no=spkXSz100_yellow

http://www.itparadise.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=27_439_440_1674&products_id=16948&osCsid=13041fdf2ddf74de1f542e64fbf09828

Also note the Gamedude links are farking s-l-o-w

Viper
17th May 2006, 03:41 PM
Nope, speakers and sub are all black. The box is yellow.

Savage
18th May 2006, 12:42 PM
OK found the ones.
There AVLabs Amped 2.1 EB have them for around $50 while I can source them from Instant IT for $30, EB won't price match :x .
http://www.avlabs.net/index2.php

Going to get this insted, looks to be better quality - Creative Inspire 2500
http://www.qcgo.com.au/gabba/productdetails.php?productcode=SPCRIN2500 for $52 from QLD Computer Group!

Sutekh
18th May 2006, 12:52 PM
Remember that if you are doing what I did and not using the satellite's provided with the set, quality doesn't matter that much - and the sub in the AVLabs certainly does a reasonable job. I don't know how the connections are on the Creative's so make sure that the satellites are permenantly fixed to the sub, and that the remote is long enough, etc.

Savage
23rd May 2006, 12:56 PM
Allright.
I've done it all.
Managed to even put the sub inside with the xbox? tight fight.
Had to change my plans, after redirecting the cabs wiring into the subs input sound was still very low???

I ended up only using the sub for the Xbox / Jpac connection then going to the original cab speakers, and the cab / jamma is setup as it was orignally, would have been cool to get it going through the sub too, but alas not to be...

All I need to do now is
A. create a on / off switch for the xbox so I don't have to reach inside the cab to turn it on.

B. the picture is a tad blurry, it;s noticeable with white lines in particular where they seem to 'shimmer' like poor interlacing, not sure if this can be overcome.

rottenpig
23rd May 2006, 03:57 PM
just wondering, doesn't the sub stuff up the monitor at all? being a magnet and such.

Savage
23rd May 2006, 04:24 PM
Nah, it's far enough from it and insulated. The monitor was doing that before the sub anyway. Interestingly the Timemaster Xbox to Jamma the picture is fine (pitty it wasn't customisable)

Savage
23rd May 2006, 09:00 PM
Thought i'd show some pics of inside.

1st pic.
http://www.picturetrunk.com/uploads/b1e09b1e6c.jpg
As you can see, The Atomiswave Board, beside that is a CPSII board and game, The Xbox and Jpac are to the right, xbox sits on part of the cabinet and part on the subwoofer which you can't see. Also behind the Atomiswave board is the Neo 1 Slot board mounted up. Using a Jamma extension cable to be able to reach all of them!

2nd pic
http://www.picturetrunk.com/uploads/59a95e4249.jpg
Needed to create a housing for my Jpac, and thought a gutted video case would do the trick.

3rd pic.
http://www.picturetrunk.com/uploads/9dd2184381.jpg
Underside

bigrob
23rd May 2006, 10:20 PM
That looks tight, real tight. Im impressed you got so much in there, must be a roomy cab :)

OzStick
24th May 2006, 04:22 PM
I love your idea of trashing a VHS cassette to use as a J-PAC housing. :)

Recycling at its finest.

Cheers,
Chris

Savage
24th May 2006, 05:26 PM
BigRob: yeah Atomiswave nice size Cab, big but still appear slim, if you know what I mean.

Cheers Chris, it took me ages to think of a way to house it, didn't what it 'nakid' to avoid any shorting!, looks trick too..

Viper
30th May 2006, 11:37 AM
OK found the ones.
There AVLabs Amped 2.1 EB have them for around $50 while I can source them from Instant IT for $30, EB won't price match :x .
http://www.avlabs.net/index2.php

Yep, they're the ones I've got. EB had a sale on and they were $29.95 which is the only reason I got them.

Very tight sqeeze in that cab.

Steven
31st May 2006, 11:33 PM
I'm going to hijack this thread for a second.
I'm trying get stereo sound on my cab from my pc.
The speakers ARE wired seperately so it 'should' work but it doesn't.
I did sweeping test on the sound:

center channel and mono sound = no sound
left channel = sound on both left and right speakers
right channel = sound on both left and right speakers

There is sound like in windows opening theme, but not in emulators like SMS and NES ones (I'm assuming they are mono?)
If I plug the 3.5mm plug half way in the pc I get sound in those emulators.. but it crackles and is shit.

I've attached a diagram of the wiring setup, but I suspect whoever had this cab before did something with the amp (It's the only part of the wiring I can't trace)

Any speaker wiring experts in the house? :unsure

Thanks

-Steven

Xsit3d
8th June 2006, 03:16 PM
The diagram looks all wrong. The + and - on the jamma harness is for - and + on a mono speaker, which is jamma standard unforunitly. I too would like to know where it changes from stereo wiring to mono connector but I dont want to pull my cabinet apart to find out. Also I believe that the amp is on the logic game board and not on the jamma.

If no-one else has an answer I will pull my cabinet apart and inform you of the result.

Steven
9th June 2006, 01:10 AM
Thank you for responding :)
What cabinet do you have?
This one is an OK Baby cabinet and the guy I got it from said it has it's own amp *shrugs*

And yeah I know about Jamma being mono, maybe this cab was made/used for newer stereo games?
I vaguely remember sound coming from just 1 speaker when i put a jamma game in ages ago.
I'll test it again soon to confirm.

There's no need to do something drastic like pulling apart your cabinet. :P
I'm going to try wiring up a mono speaker plug to the pc and splitting up the wires into a fake 'stereo' setup.

Cheers

-Steven

--------------------------------------
Update: I've done some testing with a multimeter and now I'm as confused as ever.

Basically I've disconnected the speakers and the pc so there's just plug-amp?-plug and made connection tests from one plug (3 point) to the other (4 point).
The mini arrows with 001 just show that there is nothing wrong with the wiring from plug to plug (Left only connects with Left etc) before it hits the unknown space.

The results I got are really confusing! (See WiringTest.jpg)
Based on this, this is the only wiring situation I can come up with (See WiringSituation) :unsure

What's going on? :cry
--------------------------------------

Xsit3d
13th June 2006, 10:26 AM
My cabinet is an upright leisure and allied, tmnt style. Your wiring diagram is confusing so I think i'll just bypass that and go straight to the speakers