PDA

View Full Version : Setting playfield angle without inclinometer

AskJacob
17th March 2008, 03:56 PM
I'm sure this is nothing new - but I am finally using my high school trig to setup the playfield at the recommended 6.5 degrees.

I wanted a way to setup my playfield angle without having to get an inclinometer, so worked this out so I can use my normal level.

A picture tells it better than I could in words - I used a level, a ruler a g-clamp and some maths:

Oh, and don't scratch your playfield - use some masking tape on any sharp corners....

Apologies for rough pic - my phone is all I have handy right now for pics

Gav
17th March 2008, 04:05 PM
Good post:) Thanks

felixthadog
17th March 2008, 04:09 PM
I'm sure this is nothing new - but I am finally using my high school trig.

I wanted a way to setup my playfield angle without having to get an inclinometer, so worked this out so I can use my normal level.

A picture tells it better than I could in words - I used a level, a ruler a g-clamp and some maths:

Oh, and don't scratch your playfield - use some masking tape on any sharp corners....

Apologies for rough pic - my phone is all I have handy right now for pics

****, I think I will just buy the inclinometer :o

Matthew

Gav
17th March 2008, 04:19 PM
Pretty simple really. Instead of clamping something at 90deg to the spirit level you could just tape a piece of 35mm wood(very common size) to it at 309.1mm:)
Better than lashing out on a tool that you would hardly ever use.Good one askjacob

felixthadog
17th March 2008, 04:24 PM
Pretty simple really. Instead of clamping something at 90deg to the spirit level you could just tape a piece of 35mm wood(very common size) to it at 309.1mm:)
Better than lashing out on a tool that you would hardly ever use.Good one askjacob

True, but lashing out on a tool I hardly ever use might end up being cheaper than fixing a scratched playfield, which is likely to happen in my case ;)

Matthew

Gav
17th March 2008, 04:26 PM
Fair enough

felixthadog
17th March 2008, 04:36 PM
OK, this might not be as complicated as I first thought, but let me just check my understanding:

1) Using a G clamp, clamp a ruler to a spirit level 309.1mm from the left edge of the level.
2) Make sure the angles between the level and the ruler are 90 degrees.
3) Make sure the ruler hangs down 35mm from the bottom of the spirit level.
4) Place the left edge of the spirit level on the playfield, then bring the level down so that the ruler also touches the playfield.
5) Adjust the front leg levellers as required until the spirit level bubble is exactly in the middle.

Is this correct? :unsure

Matthew

Gav
17th March 2008, 04:42 PM
yes or find something that is 35mm thick and tape it to the level @ 309.1mm. Less chance of scatching this way.

felixthadog
17th March 2008, 04:53 PM
yes or find something that is 35mm thick and tape it to the level @ 309.1mm. Less chance of scatching this way.

Ummm sorry to be a pain in the arse, but which way would the "something that is 35mm thick" thing be taped to the level? :unsure

Matthew

AskJacob
17th March 2008, 04:58 PM
Yeah, thats the ticket.

I was hoping to find some nice even numbers, but this was as good as I could get it...

It does look a bit over the top at first, but is really quite simple.

felixthadog, your description is quite good for the method!

For the taping method - intead of the ruler hanging down 35mm at 309.1mm, you would tape the block to the level at that same location.

.... or use a wooden ruler rather than metal or plastic to prevent scratching...

MrMaloo
22nd April 2008, 09:10 PM
And who said Maths and Triginometery at school wouldn't come in handy later in life ...... :101::lol:101::lol:101:

:bum::079:

Railways
9th May 2008, 12:55 AM
A mate of mine who own's a Bally Corvette made a simple little platform with the top being flat and the taper of the flanges being 6.5 used in conjuction with a short spirit level you can set up games across as well as up/slope. Takes about 5 mins to go across the P/F and adust leg levelleres to suit. Any one interested and in this miraculous device we may have a patent pending on it :D

felixthadog
9th May 2008, 08:58 AM
A mate of mine who own's a Bally Corvette made a simple little platform with the top being flat and the taper of the flanges being 6.5 used in conjuction with a short spirit level you can set up games across as well as up/slope. Takes about 5 mins to go across the P/F and adust leg levelleres to suit. Any one interested and in this miraculous device we may have a patent pending on it :D

I'll happily purchase a prototype from you now rather than wait for the patent to be approved ;)

Matthew

dmworking247
9th May 2008, 10:32 AM
Is 6.5' the 'universal' recommended angle of all playfields?

steve2000
14th September 2008, 09:00 PM
On my machines the glass looks like it is the same angle as the playfield, so if you didn't want to scratch your playfield, couldn't you just set it up on the glass?

AskJacob
14th September 2008, 09:01 PM
On my machines the glass looks like it is the same angle as the playfield, so if you didn't want to scratch your playfield, couldn't you just set it up on the glass?

My first answer was going to be no, but how about this: try both and see if they agree!

Older machines without ramps that may be the case, but my newer ones are certainly different to the glass!

Especially the side to side level...

However, if you are lucky and yours are the same, great! I wish mine were!

Cheers
Jacob

gints
14th September 2008, 09:50 PM
In going the completely opposite way in terms of technology, I combined the built in spirit level PLUS the accelerometer on my mates iPhone to get my Congo playfield right...

biggeorge
16th September 2008, 09:18 AM
Why can't you just hang a string off the front of the cabinet and make sure the 4 corners and 4 faces of the cabinet are exactly vertical???

AskJacob
16th September 2008, 09:25 AM
Why can't you just hang a string off the front of the cabinet and make sure the 4 corners and 4 faces of the cabinet are exactly vertical???

Well, that will tell you if the cabinet is square and level, but nothing about the playfield.

The playfield is rarely precisely mounted inside the cab - the rails, hinge points and lockbar tabs are all likely to be a bit out of alignment from the factory, as well as shifting during use and servicing.

Wood can warp, sag, shift and bend.

All this leads to is to set up the playfield, you should be measuring the playfield, not the cabinet itself.

Cheers
Jacob

PS This really is over emphasising getting a machine correctly level. I assure you in reality I am no where near this anal about it. Mainly make sure it is OK left/right at the top and bottom of the playfield, and a quick check to see it is around 6.5 degrees slope.