PDA

View Full Version : need some help with a cabinet not powering on

bwodie
15th May 2006, 04:11 PM
Hey all,

well i just bought 2 more cabs, a generic cabinet with Raiden DX in it, and a neo geo 6 slot.
Both were working great when i picked them up, but jamming em both in a van and driving for 2 hours seems to have made them very upset.
When i plugged the neo in and turned the power on at the power point, i heard a nice pop and now it wont do anything. i checked the fuse and it looks quite buggered so im first going to try and replace that.

With the raiden machine, it was working for a day , and then this morning i went to flick it on, and it does absolutly nothing.
My only other machine is a Namco Exceleena and ive never had a problem with it so I am very inexperienced when it comes to troubleshooting an arcade machine.

So firstly, should i check the power supply on the raiden machine to check if its dead or not? (whats the easiest way to do so) are there any common things that can cause a machine to just go dead?

please be descriptive with your help, as im a cabinet repair noob :)

thanks ALOT in advance guys :)

Ric
15th May 2006, 04:24 PM
THE FIRST THING TO DO IS STOP

Cabinets draw in 240V run it through a line filter and run that to the Power supply. Other high voltage gets sent to the monitor

Therefore at any point between the power plug and your power supply you could have a live 240V. If your power supply has blown you could also have live voltage going through it.

If you have no idea what yo are doing, this is a really easy way to get a nasty electric shock or worse.

Unplug the games, take some pics and post them and the group MAY be able to help.

However with machines not powering up it can be a lot of things, from power supplies frying to voltages frying other things.

Be careful and don't be gung ho. I have received nasty shocks and I have friends who have too (and people have also been killed when trying to fix power related problems)

Ric

bwodie
15th May 2006, 04:58 PM
ok, i have learnt my lesson already with having machines plugged in and playing with them
i have recieved a nice 240V shock from my namco!
I have experience withc omputers for 10 years, so im not to bad with electronics and know to never play with anything with circuitary unless there is no power running to it.

I just kept flicking the power switch inside the cabinet for 10 seconds and the game came on.
I turned it back off and tried again, and now i get sound of the machine powering up, but there is a not nice kinda high pitched sound coming from a pcb kinda down from the monitor.
Its not coming form the transformer, or the monitor, but another board which i assume has somethingf to do with the power just under the monitor
will upload some pics tonight

Berty
15th May 2006, 05:01 PM
Sounds like something to do with your chasis judging by the description above, defineatly not something to be trampered with.

On a side note, congrats on the excelleena; they're a great cab.

bwodie
15th May 2006, 05:06 PM
right so i went back just after posting and it powers up first time.
turn it off, and try again no love
now when i try i only get a quick weird sound (1 second) from the transformer as if its trying to do something, and nothing

now its turned on, and im leaving it on to see if it powers off or something

might also be worth noting the screen has a weird light flicker through it. Its also miss calibrated e.g the top and bottom geometry is out. top and bottom has a bend. i have been told this happens when the screens get knocked about a bit in a move. i have played with all the little switches to see if i can recalibrate it, but none of them seem to do the top and bottom cushion.

appreciate the quick replies, and look forward to more so i can fix this bugger up. will get some pics up asap

Thanks for the congrats berty, i ****in love my namco :)

bwodie
15th May 2006, 08:20 PM
pic of machine, note how the screen is bent at bottom. :(
http://img239.imageshack.us/img239/9882/hpim09500lv.jpg ("]http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/3179/hpim09493mv.jpg[/URL]

picture of base of machine and transformer:

http://img239.imageshack.us/img239/6364/hpim09519xp.jpg

for anyone that cares, my 6 slot i just got :)
[URL=")

and my namco with blood bros in :D
http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/7055/hpim09532kw.jpg ("")

Prof
15th May 2006, 10:02 PM
Have you tried the Raiden pcb in the horizontal postion or the blood bros in the vertical?? That sort of problem can occour when the horizontal resolution is too much for the monitor to handle. I have a monitor that does exactly the same thing with several pcbs

bwodie
15th May 2006, 10:31 PM
i will try that prof, but it was working great when i picked it up

Prof
16th May 2006, 07:34 PM
Could be a slight adjustment too on the h-hold/h-sync on the monitor chassis. Might have moved in transit.

bwodie
17th May 2006, 01:47 PM
will it just be a small knob, like the other video adjustment ones prof?
i tried like 6 of them, on the circuit board near the monitor and i could adjust lots of different things with the screen,but none of them would allow me to change the bottom and top cushion